Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 03:34 AM

62 posts, read 37,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Are you French-Canadian? Only French-Canadians put the dollar sign after the number, and use a period as a comma. English Canadians put the dollar sign before the dollar amount, and use commas in dollar figures.

Just wondering about your Canadian bona fides.
I didn’t get it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 08:19 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Are you French-Canadian? Only French-Canadians put the dollar sign after the number, and use a period as a comma. English Canadians put the dollar sign before the dollar amount, and use commas in dollar figures.

Just wondering about your Canadian bona fides.
Probably European. We don't use periods to separate thousands in large numbers. That's more of a European thing. We use commas for the decimal, and generally a space to separate thousands.

So 500,000 (English) would be 500 000 here. $500,000 is 500 000 $ here.

On highway signs, 1.5 km before an exit is written 1,5 km here.

Of course all of this is in officialdom. In real life, due to the presence of (North) American machinery and technology, the anglophone usages you are familiar with also get mixed in. It's a bit schizophrenic at times.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:31 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Probably European. We don't use periods to separate thousands in large numbers. That's more of a European thing. We use commas for the decimal, and generally a space to separate thousands.

Of course all of this is in officialdom. In real life, due to the presence of (North) American machinery and technology, the anglophone usages you are familiar with also get mixed in. It's a bit schizophrenic at times.
Bingo Acajack.

I checked his posts and in his first post on C-D he stated that he lives in Greece and
is a graduate student ....I have socks in my sock drawer older than him

Old 03-28-2024, 08:57 AM

62 posts, read 37,344 times
Bloomberg made a video about the current situation in Canada.

https://youtu.be/L1TkOBckZ_A?si=rMJUP377pFreWfb4

Old 03-28-2024, 09:38 AM

1,217 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financial Man View Post

Thank you for sharing that.

I would like to point out though, although the video is correct about the overwhelming number of people coming in, almost all from India, the majority of people in homeless camps are not immigrants or international students. The majority are local people. Toronto and Vancouver are the worst when it comes to these things. While things are starting to get bad everywhere, most cities have not decomposed to Vancouver or Toronto levels yet. Cities like vancouver are seeing record numbers of homelessness and overdose deaths.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:27 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financial Man View Post

Interesting video. In the news lately, we can see Canada is starting to pump the brakes on temporary visas like international student admissions and temporary foreign workers. These have been difficult to accommodate in such large numbers, although there is a lot of corporate pressure to maintain the numbers. We’re still mainting our target of 500k permanent residencies per year which some argue is still too high. While it might still be too high, it’s still a much more achievable number than like 900k or whatever it is with all the temporary visas. PRs tend to be very skilled. Nurses, engineering professions, business owners, etc. Ultimately it’ll be good for our economy to have high immigration as our Canadian born population ages out of the workforce and will need medical professionals to care for them, of whom the majority are immigrants from countries like the Philippines and India. We will benefit from a growing population and economy, we just need to get serious about the elephant in the room with housing.

Old 03-29-2024, 02:24 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:

Thanks, AJ. I have no idea why French Canada would try to be different from English Canada in money amounts or highway signage (North American highway signage is seamless, US and Canada, except for Quebec, but you do you). But still, it puzzles me why French Canada puts the dollar sign after the dollar amount. It's been a while since I read French publications (e.g. "Paris Match"), but even they, back in the day admittedly, would mention "$1.2 million," in French, instead of "1,2 million $." Can you explain?

Just checked the Paris Bourse. The spot price of a US dollar is Euro 1.077. Just like that. No dollar signs, no comma. Interesting.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:13 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:

You reminded me of a high school geography teacher who told us never to put a comma between the numbers. We should use a space, because that's Metric and Modern, and European, and thus better than Canadian traditional.

Yeah, Mr. Jones, you geography teacher you, that didn't exactly take off, did it?

Watched a horse race today, whose handle was $106,000. Dollar sign in front, comma on the handle amount. I don't care if it's English or French, a piece of that $106,000 handle was mine, since I made a winning wager. I bet the winners, and I won. I'd have to stop and figure things out, if winnings were reported as "2,40 $" out of a pool of "106,000 $." Thankfully, they weren't. Hey, AJ, I don't know if you play the races, but if you do ... well, I could make a few recommendations that would make you think twice about commas in dollar amounts and dollar signs appearing after the number.

My opinion: Dollar signs should always appear before the number. In any language. That's how dollar signs work. Note to our American friends: There are other currencies that have dollars not based on the American dollar. Canada, Australia, New Zealand. Maybe you US citizens should specify what dollar you are using when travelling. Just my opinion, is all; don't imagine that the US dollar reigns supreme (hint: it doesn't, internationally).

In any case, Cheers, buddy AJ! Hope that you have a happy Easter. "Joyeux Paques," I think. If I got it wrong, take it in the spirit in which it was intended. Seriously, all my best,

Chevy

Old 03-29-2024, 05:23 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Well these exceptions (technically errors) may exist but I can assure you that both in France and Québec the standard is to place the symbol for the currency denomination after the numerical figure, and to use a comma for the decimal.

Joyeuses Pâques to you too!

Old 04-11-2024, 03:01 PM

1,217 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Canadian Standard of Living Plummets Lower, Approaching Lost Decade: NBF

MARCH 13, 2024
Canadians were warned about building a housing-based economy, now they’re approaching a lost decade. National Bank of Canada Financial (NBF) recently wrote to institutions to warn the country’s productivity is stagnating. As a result, so is the quality of life as real gross domestic product (GDP) remains at the same level it was 7 years ago—and it’s heading in the wrong direction.
https://betterdwelling.com/canadian-...g-lost-decade/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada