Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 08:16 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times

Advertisements

Did Reddit year-end recaps expose Russian interference in Alberta?

Quote:
During that time, Reddit forums for several small Alberta cities experienced a sudden influx of accounts downvoting 2SLGBTQI+ related posts and spamming the comments section with inflammatory content. When Reddit’s year end recaps were released — which give statistics on activity for individual subreddits such as top posts and comments — they indicated Russia was the third most common country of origin for users visiting many of these subreddits, causing moderators to rethink what was behind the trolling activity they had contended with a few months before.
Quote:
Along with Sherwood Park, the subreddits for Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Red Deer, Grande Prairie, and a handful of other small cities throughout Canada also recorded Russia in their top three countries of origin for users last year — results that alarmed both local users and experts on foreign interference.
Quote:
“It might be a new strategy by the Russian trolls, because everyone is looking at the big events, like for example, the federal election, or the major issues happening in urban cities. They are not looking at smaller towns. This is a dark spot. It's under the radar. And that is troubling, because they could sow division, and possibly mobilize people and influence public opinion in a localized context.”
I’m not surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 09:43 AM

143 posts, read 109,788 times
downvoting 2SLGBTQI+

Sweet Jesus, no! Not the 2S. How do those pesky Russians even know what this is if nobody in this forum does. Chrystia and the Golden Boy made it up only last year.

Last edited by hayleae1; 02-28-2024 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-28-2024, 10:33 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
My Facebook as well is getting swarmed with suggested posts for weird posts that I think come from Russia. Anti-feminist stuff about “traditional” female gender roles being more fulfilling like staying at home, having large numbers of kids, etc. Also non stop memes about how “woke” stuff is bad. It’s hard to not be suspicious about the origins of such things when you have Canadian premiers like Danielle Smirh meeting with pro-Putin apologists like Tucker Carlson and federal candidates like Pierre Pollievre making comments like Ukraine being a “far away land” and how Trudeau is a “Marxist”, etc. Russia, whether directly influencing our politicians or not is clearly trying to sway public opinion towards a narrative that is markedly anti-West and pro-isolationism. China has been proven to do the same thing, although the evidence shows they favoured the Liberals in the last couple of elections.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:48 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Hmm. If the implied suggestion is that disinformation, vulgar language and thoughtless thoughts wouldn't exist without Russian trolls, then I would have to disagree with that since I've seen versions of bullying going back to kindergarten. It doesn't take much for people who don't read to fall for anything that confirms their prejudices. I notice here there is a tendency for people to think people who agree with them are exceptionally smart. It's human nature.

Secondly, trolls are a problem everywhere since the internet began and I have spent very limited time on Reddit. I would never base an opinion on up voting or downvoting. But I know on this forum when someone with no posting history starts or jumps into a controversial topic like LGBTQ, especially if they use inflammatory language, I don’t pay their posts much attention and I double-check their links if they have any.

They almost always derail a discussion. We have new posters who do that here and I'm not naming names.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:03 PM

I don’t think misinformation is the initial goal of foreign trolls. They simply want to raise the general level of anger. To that end, trolls from the same toll farm may post opposite views to raise the temperature of the discourse. People are more easily manipulated if their emotions are enhanced/elevated. They don’t think logically.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:54 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I don’t think misinformation is the initial goal of foreign trolls. They simply want to raise the general level of anger. To that end, trolls from the same toll farm may post opposite views to raise the temperature of the discourse. People are more easily manipulated if their emotions are enhanced/elevated. They don’t think logically.
Isn't that the goal of all trolls? We've had MANY instances where a new poster posts something outrageous and is followed by another new poster opposing that view. In particular when anything francophone related comes up. They are never around at any other time. They entirely trying to derail any civilized discussion of a topic.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Isn't that the goal of all trolls? We've had MANY instances where a new poster posts something outrageous and is followed by another new poster opposing that view. In particular when anything francophone related comes up. They are never around at any other time. They entirely trying to derail any civilized discussion of a topic.
They are malice-driven. I generally skip over their posts and don’t engage. Foreign trolls are paid, and have more sinister, long-term goals.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:43 PM
pdw

You’re both articulating things very well, I’d have to agree with both of your points. Only thing I’d add is that anything that fosters discontent with “the system” or “the globalists” as a whole is a win from Russia/China perspective. Hence what I suspect is the heavy push for anti-Israeli narratives targeting the left coming from China as a parallel to the anti-Ukraine/NATO narrative targeting the right that Russia is orchestrating. I’ve heard people plainly say things like Canada and the West is already under a dictatorship so it’s better to support Russia because “at least they support masculinity and Christian values”. The opposite extreme says the same that China should be supported because “at least they don’t exploit the third world like the West”. Probably hundreds of thousands, close to the million mark amount of people in this country believe this stuff.

Old 03-01-2024, 03:46 PM
pdw

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6434854
Old article but relevant^

Quote:
A quarter of Canadians believe in online conspiracy theories, an expert on radicalization and terrorism told a parliamentary committee Thursday.

David Morin, a professor at the Université de Sherbrooke, said a poll conducted for an upcoming report he is preparing for the Quebec government found that 9 to 10 per cent of Canadians strongly believe in conspiracy theories, while another 15 per cent moderately believe them

Old 03-01-2024, 04:09 PM

143 posts, read 109,788 times
What is the difference between conspiracy theory and conspiracy fact? Six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada