Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 11:07 AM

827 posts, read 864,790 times

Advertisements

These pictures you posted are not really from those ultra low density suburbs. I believe it's quite common to find similar suburbs in various Canadian cities.

This one would be an example of ultra low density suburb that is easily found in many American cities but really rare in Canadian cities. People who live there can barely see their neighbor's houses. This one is in Atlanta:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 12:08 PM

1,221 posts, read 491,363 times
You're right we probably don't have a lot of suburbs like that. There may be some out there. The closet that came to mind was the suburbs of Halifax, they are really spread out.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:17 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
You're right we probably don't have a lot of suburbs like that. There may be some out there. The closet that came to mind was the suburbs of Halifax, they are really spread out.
When I was thinking of this thread I immediately thought of Atlantic Canada cities in general.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.1985...6656?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.9017...6656?entry=ttu

Granted, the cities in Atlantic Canada are older so the downtowns tend to be a lot denser than on the Prairies, but on the outskirts there are probably even more recent low-density suburban areas in Atlantic Canada than on the Prairies these days.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:52 PM

2,393 posts, read 1,561,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
one of my colleagues actually lives in the area map you posted, small world.

Old 03-07-2024, 06:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,091,347 times
If you mean truly low density suburbs, then yeah, Atlantic Canada has a lot of that. If you just mean smaller, more quiet suburbs with little to no highrises or large apartment buildings, then in the Toronto area, Georgetown is like that, along with Bolton, Brooklyn, Bowmanville, or better yet, East Gwilimbury, Georgina or Innisfil.

Those are all far flung suburbs of Toronto though. The majority of the GTA is going to be denser and busier.

Quebec cities, while they have a dense urban core, have a lot of fairly standard low density suburbs. Ex North Shore suburbs of Montreal, and much of suburban Quebec Cit (especially northern suburbs).

Old 03-08-2024, 10:43 AM

1,230 posts, read 989,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
If you just mean smaller, more quiet suburbs with little to no highrises or large apartment buildings, then in the Toronto area, Georgetown is like that, along with Bolton, Brooklyn, Bowmanville, or better yet, East Gwilimbury, Georgina or Innisfil. (especially northern suburbs).
What about Newmarket, Aurora or Barrie or is there lot of highrises residential?

Old 03-08-2024, 04:20 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
What about Newmarket, Aurora or Barrie or is there lot of highrises residential?
True high rise residential is rare except for the municipal boundaries of Toronto and a few areas of places like Mississauga and Richmond Hill. You’ll get your odd 7-12 storey condo or retirement residence everywhere though, that kind of stuff is everywhere. Out of those 3 places you listed, Aurora would be the least number of condos/apartment towers. If big lots is what you’re looking for and price isn’t a factor I’d look into King City, Stouffville and Caledon. All are super expensive areas though where millionaires have custom built houses

Old 03-08-2024, 04:45 PM

462 posts, read 284,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
If you mean truly low density suburbs, then yeah, Atlantic Canada has a lot of that. If you just mean smaller, more quiet suburbs with little to no highrises or large apartment buildings, then in the Toronto area, Georgetown is like that, along with Bolton, Brooklyn, Bowmanville, or better yet, East Gwilimbury, Georgina or Innisfil.

Those are all far flung suburbs of Toronto though.
I grew up and spent most of my life in Georgetown. I retired a few years ago northwest of there as I saw Brampton growing into the Halton area. It's a shame as Georgetown was a great town to grow up in.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:51 PM

1,230 posts, read 989,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
You’ll get your odd 7-12 storey condo or retirement residence everywhere though, that kind of stuff is everywhere.
That is what I mean a city that has little to no apartments or condos beyond the 5 floor, a city that is mostly flat and homes.

Well probably such a city does not exist in Canada. Well Toronto, Vancouver and Mississauga has lots and I mean lots of high rise residential all over the city and in different parts of the city. And Brampton well way less than say Mississauga there still many high rise residential.

Brampton there is still enough there it does not feel like a low density suburb and lots of traffic and homes very close to one other in the new areas.

Not sure about Newmarket, Aurora or Barrie if they have any apartments or condos or if they do it is way less than Brampton. The same with Niagara or St. Catharines?

Old 03-08-2024, 06:44 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,091,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Barrie has some around its downtown waterfront and one by Bayfield Mall. Newmarket has a few along Davis and Yonge St. I think Aurora doesn't have any highrises.

Niagara Falls has some hotel highrises by the falls, but I don't think it has any residential highrises. St Catharines has a few in the downtown and North End of the city.

But I wouldn't fixate too much on highrises if you want to get away from traffic. Most small cities don't have too much traffic - that's mostly just a problem in the big metropolitan areas like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. To a lesser extent the next tier of cities like Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton... but in the small cities like Brantford, Thunder Bay, Regina, Moncton, traffic isn't really an issue, where there are highrises or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada