Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 12:20 AM

121 posts, read 342,380 times

Advertisements

Just curious, how hard is it for an American to move to Canada, specifically Victoria, BC or maybe Vancouver. Do you need to have some sort of specialized degree or training, or a job offer from someone? Also, what kind of paperwork would be involved? Thank you in advance for any replies, I'm not planning on moving, but again just curious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 08:41 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,752,372 times
There are several avenues for immigrating to Canada: spousal sponsorship, temporary worker, etc.

For all the categories, the processes involved and the current wait times, visit Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 11-16-2008, 10:06 PM

121 posts, read 342,380 times
Thank you for that!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 14,078 times
well I too am looking to move to vancouver area and it is to my understanding you can visit canada up to six months at that time you cross back over and hang out for a week or so visit family and what not then when you go back you get an additional six months. Crazy loop holes. Side note... I just noticed your in pheonix az and I am in tucson

Old 12-23-2008, 01:35 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loganite View Post
well I too am looking to move to vancouver area and it is to my understanding you can visit canada up to six months at that time you cross back over and hang out for a week or so visit family and what not then when you go back you get an additional six months. Crazy loop holes. Side note... I just noticed your in pheonix az and I am in tucson
It's six months less a day in a twelve month period. Works the same for Snowbirds that go to AZ. Believe me, there's no loophole, and it will be noticed.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It's six months less a day in a twelve month period. Works the same for Snowbirds that go to AZ. Believe me, there's no loophole, and it will be noticed.
Not really. They don't really keep track of when you leave. Just when you enter.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:10 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,234,188 times
Too funny, I was living in Victoria Bc and immigrated here...it's polar opposite in weather, you can freeze in the summer up there and get used to dark, grey, rainy days and bath towels that don't dry out between showers. I can't take the weather up there!!!

PS right now they have feet of snow and are not equipped for it, it's kind of a freak thing

Old 12-24-2008, 09:11 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,234,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Not really. They don't really keep track of when you leave. Just when you enter.
This will all be changing because as the US gov't tightens up their end, Canada follows suit.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
This will all be changing because as the US gov't tightens up their end, Canada follows suit.
I don't think we will tighten up. President Obama has made it known that we are going to have better relations with Canada and, if anything, it will be easier to cross the border. In fact one day I hope we have a "citizen of one, citizen of all" thing like the EU has where people can simply show their passports and cross the border at will both ways.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:44 AM

700 posts, read 2,597,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loganite View Post
But if you are a "visitor" you cannot work. Once your name/ number is brought up into a database in Canada, if they catch you working or trying to use the healthcare system, you may risk your chances of actually immigrating legally in the future. This happens allot here in Japan with people trying to do the Visa run thing and extend there time, then they get red flagged and cannot return for 5 years (or something). Even if they are loose at the Canadian border for "leaving" Canada the computer in the states wants to know where its citizens are and why they keep "entering". Living in a foreign country is never as simple as it seems, loopholes are few and far between and closing everyday as the government get wise to whats happening (they are not as dumb as we think!), but the rewards can be great if you have patience and acceptance. My advise, just do it the right way...

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada