Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 7,694 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! I'm extremely new to this, and i only created an account today to get some information on immigrating to canada.

here's the deal:
i'm an american citizen (20 years old) and my fiancee is a french citizen from an island of france (21 years old). He's been living out here on a student visa for 3 years, but his visa expired last year. We didn't do anything about it, becuase we were under the impression that you had to commit a violent crime to get deported (from sonoma county), which was apparently not true. so he's being held in a detention center waiting for his ticket to go home and he's been banned from america for 10 years. i know i can petition to get the time shortened, but in the mean time, i'd like to get away from America anyways. and we'd both like to move to canada. he has cousins in quebec.

here's the issue:
i don't know where to begin!!!!!!! i know we both need a student or work visa, but i don't know how to apply, or if we're even eligible. we both went to junior college out here, and i DO want to continue school, so how would we apply for a student visa?

does anyone know ANYTHING that could help me find a starting point?
any bit of info at all will be greatly appreciated!
thank you SO much for reading this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,243 times
Try this: Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada It's probably all you need. Don't hire any lawyers. You can do it on your own. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,694 times
thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Yes -- what movingwiththewind said. Lawyers are not usually necessary.
The link that poster provided is to absolutely the website you need.

Just remember that every country's government, Canada's included and the U.S.'s included, takes very seriously the idea of non-citizens wanting to enter their country, stay in their country, work in their country, and follow the rules of their stay in that country.

I hope you've learned to never again ignore rules. I strongly advise you to stay where you are until your BF's detention and visa or deportation matters are finalized so that you are near all the resources and information necessary to complete that process.

You need to find out what level his visa crime is called, a misdemeanor or a felony. If it's a felony, he will not be granted entry into Canada. If it's a misdemeanor, he might not be granted entry into Canada.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:17 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
You need to find out what level his visa crime is called, a misdemeanor or a felony. If it's a felony, he will not be granted entry into Canada. If it's a misdemeanor, he might not be granted entry into Canada.
Great info from 'Cats! In this case, if you are not sure, maybe talking to a good immigration lawyer can actually help.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 AM

22 posts, read 158,519 times
Leave the lawyers as a last resort, however since your fiance is French his best bet is probably to try Quebec first!
To the best of my knowledge, the Province of Quebec will be easier to be granted immigration visas when one speaks and writes fluent French....I would think more so when the person also speaks English!

There are excellent Universities in Quebec....and a few years back when checking the costs of Universities across Canada, Quebec was by far the cheapest!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
One of the items you two will need to provide when applying for Canadian migration is to provide your FBI report. You may want to get this after he leaves the US to see what is on his FBI report. Based on whats there you might want to consult with a Canadian immigration lawyer about his chances of approval. In the end it might be best for you to move to France with him. Its a pity you guys ignored the expiration of his visa, never a good thing to do in any country.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:49 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
You must be very horny to want get away from the US...willing to go to another country without any trade at 20yrs of age.

I'm from Canada originally (American citizen) and am familiar with the needs required to to emigrate.

As for Canada ...Quebec has their french population and he would fit in well...but he's to be deported back to France where he would have to petition Canada for possible entry.

That is his headache.

Your headache is (visa to visit France...probably okay...residence status...don't know unless you have a lot of funds to live there). Not privy of work requirements. Then again unless you are fluent in french it will be a bear to live there compared to the US.

Question; Your only 20 and this guy is 21 with NO working trade background...are you willing to throw your life away in the US for some foreign country you know nothing about? At least in Canada they speak English but I do know it is not that easy to emigrate there especially at your age and lack of professional trade the country could benifit by.

Sorry...but at your age you are looking at a lot of problems ahead.

He is not the only 21 yr old who is available.

Steve

Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
They are engaged to be married (she stated fiancee). Period. That's her choice. Its not incumbent upon us to question her relationship or life choices, just to provide answers to her questions.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:11 AM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
Oye! (*facepalm*)! Yeah, that really sucks that you two ignored the visa. From my experiences studying abroad and dealing with the U.S. Consulate, the American gov't is SUPER ANAL about who is in the country. I swear had my friend not given me the money to go home they would have let me die in Spain (they would not offer me the loan opportunity that they are suppose to offer if you can't afford to pay for a stolen passport).

Anyway, everyone here has given you wonderful advice so far. I have wanted to move up to Canada myself since I have more friends up there that are friendly and intelligent. While it won't be as hard for you to immigrate to Canada, it's still going to be a major pain since most of the time you have to prove that you can do jobs that most people in Canada cannot do. Unlike America where we send our jobs off to India b/c it's cheaper, the Canucks are more worried about taking care of their own people and they know that people are envious of the healthcare and education systems. Two of the main ways that I was told by my friends up North were: 1) Get a company to sponosor you. For example, if you work at a company in the states that has a branch in Montreal, get transferred. 2) Marry a Canadian.

What are you majoring in? You might be able to enter the country if you get accepted into a Canadian program first, and then get a visa to work there as well. I know when I studied abroad in England they said I was automatically covered under their Universal Healthcare b/c I was a student. It might be the same in Canada. Also, if you get accepted into a program in Canada, you could probably get more leverage into getting a job such as working for the college. However, that deportation thing might make it quite tougher on your fiance to enter the country, though Quebec may look favorably on the fact that he can speak French. Even then, the Parisian or France version of French can be quite different from the Montreal version.

I wish you two the best of luck. I loved Montreal when I went there for a few days during Spring Break. They mostly speak French, but many of them are also fluent in English or close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada