Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,606 times

Advertisements

Do people in Quebec speak only French with you? Are the signs in French, or both French & English? Do a random person speak French or English with you? Are schools in French?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:14 AM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Do people in Quebec speak only French with you? Are the signs in French, or both French & English? Do a random person speak French or English with you? Are schools in French?
What's the point of this thread?
Please ... let this thread die!

1) If your French is good enough, you will be able to keep them from switching on you.
2) If your French is awful, they'll probably switch to English - remember that the quality of English diminishes outside of Montréal.
3) French schools? LOOK IT UP! You don't need to ask us this question. Even wikipedia will tell you.

BTW, I can walk into many shops in Montréal and start speaking Italian, and it's fine.

Moderator cut: save the personal attacks for your personal life

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-08-2009 at 04:19 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 08:10 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
What's the point of this thread?
Please ... let this thread die!
You know, you're right. I answer these things all the time here but maybe I shouldn't.

I can appreciate that some people just don't know and are curious but I have travelled all around the world and it seems to me that almost everyone I met at least vaguely knew that that Montreal and the province of Quebec were a part of Canada that was predominantly French-speaking.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya7oo View Post

Most signs are only in French, though some of them will be in both English and French. Bill 101, which was a racist law that came in 1994 forced businesses to make their signs with French being the biggest, then English which has to be smaller then the French.
You are entitled to your opinions but I don't get your racism comment (though I've heard it a million times before - or at least 999,999 times).

Since there are black people who speak French and black people who speak English, aboriginal people who speak French and aboriginal people who speak French, Asian people who speak French and Asian people who speak English, etc., I fail to see what race has to do with this.

You can agree or disagree with the law, but the use of the r-word by you and others is just for shock value and is totally unfounded.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Racist? You'd have to talk to M. Jacques Perizeau about that word- what did he mean when he blamed the referendum loss on 'money & the ethnic vote?'

Discriminative might be a better word, discrimination can also be interrupted as racism. Racism is not only about color.
I am not a PQ supporter and did not appreciate his comments, but in the interest of fairness, it is worth mentioning that Parizeau was married most of his life (until her death in fact) to a woman named Alicja Pozanska, a concentration camp survivor.

Also, regarding racism, well once again, since being of a particular race does not mean one cannot speak any single language in the world, I still don't get the point. There are people named MacFadden, Reid, Fraser and Harvey who are francophones in spite of being racially Anglo-Celtic, and there are anglos named Gagnon and Tremblay who could be called "French Canadian" in a racial sense.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
It is not a racist law in any sence of the word. It is however a nationalist law. Now this will really confound our friends the American readers. The supreme court of Canada found this law unconstitutional. However the government of Quebec invoked the "Not withstanding clause" of the constitution to override the supreme court and the law stands regardless of the courts decision. I'm a English speaking Canadian fron Ontario and I totally agree with the Quebec governments decision to over ride the constitution in this case. Quebec has a distinct "French Canadian" culture surrounded by 350 million English speaking people in the USA and Canada. It's very important that the people of Quebec are able to preserve and nurture their own culture against the pressure of the the much larger culture outside of Quebec. I greatly admire the Quebecers that they have been able to do this so successfully for such a long long time. I believe that the supreme court decision was a correct one in relation to the Canadian constitution but I agree with the government of Quebec that Extrordinary measures must be taken to protect their unique and valuable culture.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Do you think a person like Pauline Marois see's Amir Khadr, Vivian Barbot, or Maria Marouni as 'true' Quebecois?
Yes she most certainly does. The same way you and most other people probably see David Suzuki and Donovan Bailey as true Canadians.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 PM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Quote:
Racist? You'd have to talk to M. Jacques Perizeau about that word- what did he mean when he blamed the referendum loss on 'money & the ethnic vote?'

Discriminative might be a better word, discrimination can also be interrupted as racism. Racism is not only about color.
The people who got upset at this comment by Parizeau were taking advantage of his poor choice of words, as well as their own ignorance of the French language. Parizeau, who is LSE educated, should have known better that his comments would be misinterpreted.

To set the record straight, I was one of the ethnic groups that he was speaking about. You see, most Italians voted against separation. Anyone who knows Montréal, and knows big cities, knows about ethnic neighborhoods. Parizeau did not say the "ghetto vote", because that's not where we lived. Most of us lived in predominately Italian ethnic neighborhoods. St-Léonard, Rivière des Prairies, Jean-Talon, etc.

Most of us took no offense to what he said, because we know he was using French vocabulary structure - and besides his comments were fairly accurate. The only people who got upset, were people who were out to twist his words around to damage his political aspirations by blowing his comments way out of proporation - most of these people just happened to be Anglo (living in their Anglo ethnic neighborhoods).

Then the press took over and it was out of control...

So, for anyone to bring that up as being racist is either completely stupid, ignorant of history (and definitely ignorant of the French language and Québécois culture) - or they are just like the Anglos who knew better (themseleves in an ethnic neighborhood), but that selectively edit different events in order to turn the situation to their advantage through propaganda.

Anyone who is a student of historical language politics in Montréal knows about the school board issues in St-Léonard back in the early 70s... it was an ethnic neighborhood then, and it was still an ethnic neighborhood in 1995. Ethnic neighborhoods are not bad concepts at all - they are all over the world. By the way, I adore St-Léonard, one of my favorite neighborhoods in Montréal. And I love the ethnic food there.

People in the States said that Obama was able to win by garnering the votes of African-Americans, Whites, and Hispanics ... so why is that not ethnic?

Ethnicity is an official designation in US census.

Like I said, people are either totally stupid - or they are manipulists of propaganda to try to win converts, because they are upset at something personal. In this case, it just seems like hatred and stupidity regarding the beautiful province of Québec.

...and to think my pure wool brothers and sisters actually apologized for Parizeau's comment on this thread... unfair and not-needed!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
The people who got upset at this comment by Parizeau were taking advantage of his poor choice of words, as well as their own ignorance of the French language. Parizeau, who is LSE educated, should have known better that his comments would be misinterpreted.

To set the record straight, I was one of the ethnic groups that he was speaking about. You see, most Italians voted against separation. Anyone who knows Montréal, and knows big cities, knows about ethnic neighborhoods. Parizeau did not say the "ghetto vote", because that's not where we lived. Most of us lived in predominately Italian ethnic neighborhoods. St-Léonard, Rivière des Prairies, Jean-Talon, etc.

Most of us took no offense to what he said, because we know he was using French vocabulary structure - and besides his comments were fairly accurate. The only people who got upset, were people who were out to twist his words around to damage his political aspirations by blowing his comments way out of proporation - most of these people just happened to be Anglo (living in their Anglo ethnic neighborhoods).

Then the press took over and it was out of control...

So, for anyone to bring that up as being racist is either completely stupid, ignorant of history (and definitely ignorant of the French language and Québécois culture) - or they are just like the Anglos who knew better (themseleves in an ethnic neighborhood), but that selectively edit different events in order to turn the situation to their advantage through propaganda.

Anyone who is a student of historical language politics in Montréal knows about the school board issues in St-Léonard back in the early 70s... it was an ethnic neighborhood then, and it was still an ethnic neighborhood in 1995. Ethnic neighborhoods are not bad concepts at all - they are all over the world. By the way, I adore St-Léonard, one of my favorite neighborhoods in Montréal. And I love the ethnic food there.

People in the States said that Obama was able to win by garnering the votes of African-Americans, Whites, and Hispanics ... so why is that not ethnic?

Ethnicity is an official designation in US census.

Like I said, people are either totally stupid - or they are manipulists of propaganda to try to win converts, because they are upset at something personal. In this case, it just seems like hatred and stupidity regarding the beautiful province of Québec.

...and to think my pure wool brothers and sisters actually apologized for Parizeau's comment on this thread... unfair and not-needed!
Good analysis.

BTW, you're right about his statement being mistranslated. "de l'argent et des votes ethniques" (what he actually said in French) literally means "money and some ethnic votes", not "money and the ethnic vote" as is always quoted in English.

There is a nuance. He wasn't actually slamming all ethnics, but was referring to ethnic groups whose leadership publicly said "All Italians must vote Non or else!", "All Jews must vote Non or else!" or "All Greeks must vote Non or else!".

Anyway, I didn't find it very statesmanlike for Parizeau to bring that up at the end of a very trying campaign and voting day for our province's people, but it was a bit rich for those community leaders to then slam him for bringing something up that they themselves had very strongly urged people to do (vote ethnically).

Old 11-09-2009, 09:28 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Well I personally think that Quebec is finally finding it's self a place within Canada and is beginning to feel comfortable with that. It makes ne very happy if a person can consider himself a Qubecois and a proud Canadian. They do not have to be mutually exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada