Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM

9 posts, read 20,084 times

Advertisements

I spent 3 weeks in Quebec in January (Yes I saved all my vacation time to be stuck in the cold) and I fell in love. I am a 26 year old policeman from a small town in South Texas, but for some odd reason I fell for the place. Now I know it's too soon, but I may be considering a move sometime in the future, but I am a U.S. citizen... are there jobs or professions that allow U.S. citizens to work in Canada?

I am a policeman, and I also raise USDA certified organic cattle. I have an associate's degree in Agricutlure and a Bachelor's in Economics. Never used my B.A. but I love living off the land and I love the cold weather. I am a country boy, but for college I spent one year in France, so I speak decent European French (Which I can convert to Quebec French if needed, I'm sure). If I have some money, is it possible to start a Ranch, or is land much too scarce to have ranches in quebec. I saw plenty of farms, and dairies. If it all possible I'd love to be able to do what I do now, but in Quebec.

I was welcomed with open arms as a tourist, but as a foreign land owner would I be snubbed and rejected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 PM

412 posts, read 939,456 times
I love Quebec too, and I've done some research into immigrating there. I think this link has the information that you're looking for:

Immigration-Québec - Entrepreneurs program

Old 02-12-2010, 09:03 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Other immigrations options are spelled out at Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 02-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Other immigrations options are spelled out at Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Cornerguy1 - doesn't Quebec has its own immigration procedures, separate from the rest of Canada?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
In a word: No.

Quebec has an agreement in place with the federal government which allows the province to establish certain unique immigration criteria. If a potential immigrant meets those provincial criteria, they may be accepted as a provincial nominee for immigration. The potential immigrant then must also apply for and be accepted as a federal Permanent Resident.

If a potential immigrant does not meet the federal standards for PR status, then their application will be rejected.

Quebec does not have the legal authority to accept and approve immigrants based solely on its own.

Various other provinces and territories also have nominee programs in place to help fill the needs of those particular areas.

The federal immigration department of immigration, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, also offers various avenues for immigration such as Skilled Worker visas, Entrepreneur programs, etc. whose standards may be more suitable or easier to meet for a potential immigrant, so it's probably wise to check out all the options available.

If a potential immigrant is accepted under a federal standard, there is no reason they can't establish residence in Quebec if they wish to.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:22 AM

I guess I should have said "doesn't Quebec has its own selection process, separate from the rest of Canada." I understand the that CIC makes the final decision on a permanent residency applications, and that the CIC is responsible for the medical and security checks of all applicants.

It's my understanding that, depending on the specific type of application (investor, skilled worker, etc.), it can be much faster to apply through Quebec's selection process.

OP - I know I've seen posts from at least 1 or 2 people who live in Quebec on this forum. Hopefully they can give you their opinions on the possibilities of starting your own ranch in Quebec!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:36 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
By and large, the immigration selection process as regards Quebec can be simply explained as follows:

Quebec's process is mostly for economic and individual applicants.

Canada's process is for "family reunion" type immigrants and refugee claimants for the most part.

Once in Canada (Quebec or elsewhere), regardless of who selected you, there isn't really anything preventing you from moving from province to province within the country.

Some people say the Quebec process is faster, some people say the Canadian process is faster.

I would recommend trying the Quebec process if you speak French - you get more points from Quebec if you speak French.

However, you won't get rejected by the Quebec process if you don't speak French. Quebec selects thousands of immigrants who speak English (or neither French nor English) every year.

Canada gives points for English or French (and even more if you know both). It also selects immigrants who know neither official language.

Of all of the immigrants that enter Quebec any given year, roughly half have come through the Quebec process and half come through the federal (Canadian) process.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jechevarria View Post
are there jobs or professions that allow U.S. citizens to work in Canada?

I am a policeman, and I also raise USDA certified organic cattle. I have an associate's degree in Agricutlure and a Bachelor's in Economics. Never used my B.A. but I love living off the land and I love the cold weather.
Your bachelor's degrees will likely be recognized to some degree in Canada. However, police training and experience will likely not as the legal and justice systems differ greatly from the U.S.

If you are living in Quebec generally any type of professional certification (police officer, accountant, psychotherapist, you name it) requires a decent knowledge of French to pass requisite exams.

In order to be able to work in Canada as a non-citizen, you would really need a Canadian employer to offer you a job and obtain a permit from the Canadian government.

Otherwise, I think you have to go through an immigration process (see other posts), in order to obtain permanent resident status with which you can seek out work while you are here.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
If I have some money, is it possible to start a Ranch, or is land much too scarce to have ranches in quebec. I saw plenty of farms, and dairies. If it all possible I'd love to be able to do what I do now, but in Quebec.
Land is by no means scarce in Quebec though arable land is somewhat rarer.

You are right that Quebec is a huge dairy farm area. There is a little bit of cattle raising for beef production but certainly nowhere near what you what find in the inner western plains of North America.

Most of the open land in Quebec is from forests that were cleared, as opposed to the treeless plains of the western rangelands.

There are no restrictions to my knowledge on the purchase of land by non-citizens.

Most places in Quebec that are called ranches would be primarily focused on raising horses, rather than cattle.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I was welcomed with open arms as a tourist, but as a foreign land owner would I be snubbed and rejected?
If as you say you already speak a bit of French (and intent on using it and improving it), you'd probably as a Texan be viewed positively as a cool curiosity by the locals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada