Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Canadian City?
Vancouver, BC 55 21.91%
Calgary, AB 11 4.38%
Edmonton, AB 2 0.80%
Winnepeg, MB 8 3.19%
Toronto, ON 46 18.33%
Ottawa, ON 6 2.39%
Montreal, QB 78 31.08%
Quebec City, QB 26 10.36%
Halifax, NS 13 5.18%
St. John's NF 6 2.39%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 05:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
1.5 hrs to the mountains? I live in Calgary it's 20 minutes to the mountains from my doorstep. 1.5hrs by bicycle.

It's 70 minutes to Banff..the mountains don't start in Banff.
"lack of freshwater" what the hedouble hockey sticks do you think we drink around here? what do you think runs off the glaciers that fill our reservoirs? salt water? Next time you come to visit your family take a better look around.

I would sure like to know what a "conservative mindset" is. I've traveled all over the continent and can't put my finger on it. Is it our effeminate Muslim mayor that gives you the thought of "conservative mindset" lol

Now excuse me I'm going to go kayak around one of two neighborhood "freshwater" lakes before the rain sets in.
Both of then have beaches. While I'm out I think I will walk down the hill to the Bow River and see how the fly fishing is going today?
The poster was probably using Google Maps which shows the drive from Calgary to Banff to be 1 hour 24 minutes. This is likely city hall to city hall. If you speed or live further west than downtown, you could cut down the time as well.

Calgary, AB to Banff, AB - Google Maps

For getting to the foothills Google says 58 minutes...again from the centre of Calgary.

Calgary, AB to Bow Valley Provincial Park - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 08:03 AM

377 posts, read 1,695,852 times
Quote:
1.5 hrs to the mountains? I live in Calgary it's 20 minutes to the mountains from my doorstep. 1.5hrs by bicycle.

It's 70 minutes to Banff..the mountains don't start in Banff.
"lack of freshwater" what the hedouble hockey sticks do you think we drink around here? what do you think runs off the glaciers that fill our reservoirs? salt water? Next time you come to visit your family take a better look around.

I would sure like to know what a "conservative mindset" is. I've traveled all over the continent and can't put my finger on it. Is it our effeminate Muslim mayor that gives you the thought of "conservative mindset" lol

Now excuse me I'm going to go kayak around one of two neighborhood "freshwater" lakes before the rain sets in.
Both of then have beaches. While I'm out I think I will walk down the hill to the Bow River and see how the fly fishing is going today?
Don't get so hostile. You must live in far west end Calgary, because it most certainly not 20 minutes from most points of the city to the mountains.

And Calgary is the most conservative major city in Canada, it ain't Alabama, but it's political stripes ain't Vancouver either.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:43 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
Don't get so hostile. You must live in far west end Calgary, because it most certainly not 20 minutes from most points of the city to the mountains.

And Calgary is the most conservative major city in Canada, it ain't Alabama, but it's political stripes ain't Vancouver either.
I live in the south east part of Calgary. And yes it takes me 20 minutes to be in the Kananaskis ..look it up if you don't know what it is. But I'm sure living in Oakville Ontario makes you the expert on Calgary .

http://www.braggcreek.ca/weather/ This is 8000 ft at the summit. It's 30 minutes from my driveway.

And save the usual left wing BS for a political thread.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 PM

304 posts, read 1,425,714 times
Quote:

youthinkso has warned you once.. don't make him warn you a second time!!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I live in the south east part of Calgary. And yes it takes me 20 minutes to be in the Kananaskis ..look it up if you don't know what it is. But I'm sure living in Oakville Ontario makes you the expert on Calgary .

Kananaskis Weather This is 8000 ft at the summit. It's 30 minutes from my driveway.

And save the usual left wing BS for a political thread.
Interesting. I Google mapped directions from my good friend's home in Mackenzie Towne (SE Calgary) to Kananaskis, and it was 70 km, and 1 hour and 5 minutes.

So you're telling me it takes 20 minutes to get to Kananaskis, yet 30 minutes to get to Bragg Creek? Also interesting since you have to drive through Bragg Creek to get to Kananaskis...

FYI I'm from the west, and have extensive family ties to your area. In fact I used to spend entire summers in Southern Alberta. I probably know more about Calgary than many Calgarians.

I'm not sure what my current residence has to do with your inability to judge time, but go ahead invalidate my opinion all you want. Typical inferiority complex that is common in the area regarding anything to do with Ontario.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 AM

Google and reality are two different things. I live just further west then McKenzie town and in the 10 000 times I've made the drive to Bragg Creek it has never taken me 65 minutes. And no you don't actually drive through Bragg Creek to get to K country from the far south of Calgary. The "mountains don't start on the doorstep of Bragg Creek either.

I just googled my house to Bragg Creek and it said 31 minutes...which is still an over estimate.

The speed limit on the 22X is 100km for most of the way.

Just googled McKenzie Towne Gate to Bragg Creek..it said 50.1 km..39 minutes.

lol...try again. McKenzie Towne isn't that big..you sure your friend lives 20 km further than that? IMPOSSIBLE!

But hey you're from Toronto so you know everything.

BTW I have received 7 rep points just from the one post I made on this topic...seems to be a bit of agreement with me.

Last edited by youthinkso; 05-20-2013 at 07:45 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Google and reality are two different things. I live just further west then McKenzie town and in the 10 000 times I've made the drive to Bragg Creek it has never taken me 65 minutes. And no you don't actually drive through Bragg Creek to get to K country from the far south of Calgary. The "mountains don't start on the doorstep of Bragg Creek either.

I just googled my house to Bragg Creek and it said 31 minutes...which is still an over estimate.

The speed limit on the 22X is 100km for most of the way.

Just googled McKenzie Towne Gate to Bragg Creek..it said 50.1 km..39 minutes.

lol...try again. McKenzie Towne isn't that big..you sure your friend lives 20 km further than that? IMPOSSIBLE!

But hey you're from Toronto so you know everything.

BTW I have received 7 rep points just from the one post I made on this topic...seems to be a bit of agreement with me.
That's all fine and dandy, but there is no conceivable way you can get from SE Calgary to Kananaskis in 20 minutes which you are claiming. Unless you are averaging 150 km/hr of course...

I guess we don't agree on how you define "in the mountains". To me, it means you are immediately at the base of of them. To you it evidently means you are in the foothills. By your logic, places within Calgary city limits are already "in the mountains", because the geography of Bragg Creek doesn't vary much from say, a place like Springbank.

I'm not sure what provoked the hostile attitude, but I'm sure we can all agree that Calgary is conveniently close to the Rocky Mtns.

And I'm not from Toronto you dunce.

Last edited by Liberated in TO; 05-20-2013 at 03:59 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
That's all fine and dandy, but there is no conceivable way you can get from SE Calgary to Kananaskis in 20 minutes which you are claiming. Unless you are averaging 150 km/hr of course...

I guess we don't agree on how you define "in the mountains". To me, it means you are immediately at the base of of them. To you it evidently means you are in the foothills. By your logic, places within Calgary city limits are already "in the mountains", because the geography of Bragg Creek doesn't vary much from say, a place like Springbank.

I'm not sure what provoked the hostile attitude, but I'm sure we can all agree that Calgary is conveniently close to the Rocky Mtns.

If you go straight out 22X from Deerfoot, it's probably a realistic 20-25 minutes to Bragg Creek/McLean Creek, and that is most definitely the mountains.

Regardless. I agree, this is way off topic, and we all agree that the mountains are close. Some a bit more fervently than others...

Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:

When some one claims they googled Mckenzie Towne to Bragg creek and came out with 70 km and 65 minutes, it's obvious they are talking out of their backside and anything they post is pure rubbish.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
When some one claims they googled Mckenzie Towne to Bragg creek and came out with 70 km and 65 minutes, it's obvious they are talking out of their backside and anything they post is pure rubbish.
Read again, "I Google mapped directions from my good friend's home in Mackenzie Towne (SE Calgary) to Kananaskis, and it was 70 km, and 1 hour and 5 minutes."

It was clearly my frontside talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada