Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I totally get what you're saying. I do.

Though I'm not really trying to convince anyone, for the sake of argument, whether medicinal marijuana works or not..

Everyone is entitled to form their own opinions on that one.
A look at the available literature should convince any thinking person that marrijuana (and one of its active ingredients, THC) do relieve nausea.
After all, our own government has said so, and marinol, a synthetic version of THC is produced legally and prescribed exactly for that condition. The typical dosage of marinol would cost about $8,000 per year. Although it is legal it is very difficult to get a Dr to prescribe it because of the stigma associated with marijuana as a dangerous (not) and illegal drug.

So while everyone can have an opinion, an informed person must have the opinion that the marijuana in this instance reduced the nausea sufficiently to allow the child to eat again. I'd say being able to eat and keep food down contriibuted to his survival.

There is also evidence, both in government sanctioned and independant studies, that show that marijuana can shrink tumors without affecting the surrounding healthy tissue. This was first discovered in the 1970's.

In this particular instance there is not enough detail to know if this tumor related effect was present in this patient, but it may have been a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 08:54 AM

923 posts, read 1,430,163 times
YouTube - "WHAT IF CANNABIS CURED CANCER"

Old 05-08-2011, 10:35 AM

19,717 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
A look at the available literature should convince any thinking person that marrijuana (and one of its active ingredients, THC) do relieve nausea.
After all, our own government has said so, and marinol, a synthetic version of THC is produced legally and prescribed exactly for that condition. The typical dosage of marinol would cost about $8,000 per year. Although it is legal it is very difficult to get a Dr to prescribe it because of the stigma associated with marijuana as a dangerous (not) and illegal drug.

So while everyone can have an opinion, an informed person must have the opinion that the marijuana in this instance reduced the nausea sufficiently to allow the child to eat again. I'd say being able to eat and keep food down contriibuted to his survival.

There is also evidence, both in government sanctioned and independant studies, that show that marijuana can shrink tumors without affecting the surrounding healthy tissue. This was first discovered in the 1970's.

In this particular instance there is not enough detail to know if this tumor related effect was present in this patient, but it may have been a factor.
Yup, I am with you all the way.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:42 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
I know a woman who said that MJ helped regenerate her nerves and was part of the process of getting her from quadriplegic to paraplegic. She cited research on it too.

Of course her doctors don't discuss that one either.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:51 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
When my son was on chemo for leukemia, we tried Marinol. The only result was a really, really bad trip.

Then Zofran came out. With it, instead of puking all the way home after chemo, we stopped at his favorite fast food restaurant for a burger and fries --- and yes, we let him eat anything he could keep down.

This child was being tube fed, so nutrition was being provided.

Marijuana may help with nausea and appetite, but there are other, and, frankly, more effective options.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 05-08-2011 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: for clarification

Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Pharmaceutical companies can not patent marijuana because you can not patent a natural substance, i.e. a plant. So they can not make money on it. Hence, Marinol was produced. It is an inferior product.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:43 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
That's really interesting. I had no idea. I'm reading up a bit on it (for example) and find it exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Pharmaceutical companies can not patent marijuana because you can not patent a natural substance, i.e. a plant. So they can not make money on it.
Patents involve more than the base therapeutic molecule, if I'm thinking of this correctly. The formulation, molecular modification for improved bioavailability, etc probably comes into play when considering patents. I may be wrong, tho, so please correct me if needed.

Quote:
Hence, Marinol was produced. It is an inferior product.
Why?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Why?
Marinol provides only minimal relief to some patients. Many undergoing chemo are unable to take the pill due to vomiting and nausea. When you smoke cannabis or use a vaporizer, you can control the amount of product you need, when you need it. Marinol has more synthetic THC and you may get more than you need, and it takes awhile to get into your system so you do not get relief for hours. Medical marijuana when smoked gives immediate relief when you need it. Marinol can also produce an adverse psychological reaction among other side effects. Marinol is also more expensive than medical marijuana. It can be cost prohibiting to some patients.

I have Leukemia and have to take a targeted chemotherapy drug every day for the rest of my life. This drug causes me severe nausea, diarrhea, body pain and vomiting, not to mention stomach pain due to its harshness on the stomach. Marinol does not work for me at all. But medical marijuana enables me to get through those 5+ hours of sickness and pain I have every day after taking my drug. Oh, I'm pretty sure doctors can prescribe a deluge of prescriptions to try and counter all my symptoms, but medical marijuana handles them all without any unwanted side effects.

Ask the patients and hands down medical marijuana is the winner, not Marinol.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:55 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Pharmaceutical companies can not patent marijuana because you can not patent a natural substance, i.e. a plant. So they can not make money on it. Hence, Marinol was produced. It is an inferior product.
Which is why natural cures are taboo in today's medical industry. Anything that can't be monopolized is considered inferior.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Which is why natural cures are taboo in today's medical industry. Anything that can't be monopolized is considered inferior.
And, to touch on that, my daughter had severe acid reflux as a infant/toddler. She spit up more than usual, throat was red and just terrible looking, and the doctors couldn't find anything that worked. She would only eat certain foods, and was just all around miserable. When she was about three my mom told me to go the natural food store and ask them about it. They recommended liquid aloe vera and probiotics. The probiotic would break down the food so it wouldn't produce the gases, and the aloe to sooth the throat. After about two or three weeks all signs were gone, no spitting up, and she'd eat all sorts of foods.

Point is the establishment knows little about alternative medicine, but it's always worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer