Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:57 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is so true, each man or person, for that matter is an individual. I think the reason people do come to these boards though, is hear others experiences. Nita
Not speaking specifically about the person who started this discussion: My observation has been that people who post this type of question do not have an ongoing, regular relationship with a primary care physician. They follow whatever advice is given my the last person they've spoken to. They often don't trust medical professionals. And their health suffers for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Not speaking specifically about the person who started this discussion: My observation has been that people who post this type of question do not have an ongoing, regular relationship with a primary care physician. They follow whatever advice is given my the last person they've spoken to. They often don't trust medical professionals. And their health suffers for that.

I am not sure you are right about that and I hope you are not. I know I post here just to find out how others have handled situations facing us right now and what their experiences have been. The same as my husband and I talking with people from our church who have had similar concerns. Iti is mlore like a support group or a chance just to vent. We have a wonderful relationship with hubby's urologist and our primary care doctor. We just need to hear what others have to say. The subject of what is a high PSA is a perfect example. You are given a number, your doctore advises you as to how to proceed, you will either follow his/her advise or get a second opinion but you still might post on these types of boards just to see what others have to say. Someitmes we need reassuance, sometimes we need be reminded of what a number can mean. This isn't sayhing we don't trust our doctor or we won't follow their advise. At least that is how I see it.

Nita

Old 02-26-2012, 02:06 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
A PSA of 5.75 for a 67 year old is no big deal unless it was a 2.0 at age 60. If it is a progression and not a spike it is actually very appropriate. Probably, the PCP had no baseline.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:57 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
A PSA of 5.75 for a 67 year old is no big deal unless it was a 2.0 at age 60. If it is a progression and not a spike it is actually very appropriate. Probably, the PCP had no baseline.
Actually, the PCP did have a baseline, and the number represented a spike, hence the referral to a urologist.

Yes, I am reviving this thread four and a half years after my original post. (Someone repped me for it, which made it easy to find. I had forgotten all about it, the thread that is, not my prostate gland).

I did have a prostate biopsy on the recommendation of the urologist, which showed prostate cancer, but with a very low Gleason score. The urologist recommended watchful waiting, or whatever the term is. My PSA scores have remained about the same during the four and a half years; the latest one was 6.6, down from 6.9 four months previously. I am now 71.

About six months ago the urologist recommended an MRI of the prostate, which came back "normal". That was reasurring. I have had the same urologist since the first visitk, and I am still on watchful waiting.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:03 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Not quite the same here as I cannot recall the exact numbers since it was 20 yrs ago since I had a T.U.R.P done.

The last 3-4 yrs have had a restriction and my VA doctor finally admitted that I may have to have it re done.

Anyone else here having the similar issue?......I have had other Cancer problems.....Thyroidectomy 10 yrs ago.

Am 84 so I am not complaining but just wondering.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:33 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,958 times
Start by saying I'm 56 years of age. I had a physical at the VA hospital in my area last May and my PSA was elevated, 4.9. The urologist wanted to wait and do another PSA in two months to see if it changed, it did. Then it was 5.6.
Long story short, I had three "gold seeds" implanted in my prostate for radiation therapy. I'm on 50 mil. of Bicalutamide daily (chemo therapy pill) hormone therapy and I just finished 45 rounds of radiation, which was five days a week. I have two more months on the Bicalutamide and one more hormone shot, each shot last six months.

So for now I'm on the bubble waiting for the next PSA to be taken, which wont be for two more months.
I will say though, the radiation wiped me out.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:52 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Not necessarily true. For example, since I am a man I come to this forum to read the experiences of others relating to questions and answers about all kinds of cancers, treatments, and so on. I also ask my urologist, read what's said in WebMed about the same things, and so on.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:52 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,401,923 times
turkeytrot, i had a very similar experience to you in 2010. the radiation did zap all my energy and stamina, but i continued to try to work the entire time of the 48 radiation treatments. i did not have any chemo or hormone, but i did have several bouts with prostate infections after the treatments. i had a ck up just before christmas last year and all is well with my blood work.

i did have a near fatal episode with my body destroying my platelets about a year and a half after the radiation, but my hematologist thinks it could have been caused by the antibiotics i was taking for the infections. that was a start over for my energy levels too. now, i run two miles almost every day and ride a bike every weekend.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:00 AM

958 posts, read 2,132,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
turkeytrot, i had a very similar experience to you in 2010. the radiation did zap all my energy and stamina, but i continued to try to work the entire time of the 48 radiation treatments. i did not have any chemo or hormone, but i did have several bouts with prostate infections after the treatments. i had a ck up just before christmas last year and all is well with my blood work.

i did have a near fatal episode with my body destroying my platelets about a year and a half after the radiation, but my hematologist thinks it could have been caused by the antibiotics i was taking for the infections. that was a start over for my energy levels too. now, i run two miles almost every day and ride a bike every weekend.
Congratulations being cancer free!!
I continued to work, taking wednesdays off and it helped some but it wasn't enough.
I also have epilepsy, last Wednesday I had a seizure that landed me in the ER, I work at a VA hospital.
The anticonvulsant I take was at a therapeutic level. After three hours of sleeping the doctor told me I was nearing exhaustion and sent me home for a week to rest.
It's a process, I just have to go through it.
Again congratulations!!

Old 05-04-2016, 10:09 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,401,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
Congratulations being cancer free!!
I continued to work, taking wednesdays off and it helped some but it wasn't enough.
I also have epilepsy, last Wednesday I had a seizure that landed me in the ER, I work at a VA hospital.
The anticonvulsant I take was at a therapeutic level. After three hours of sleeping the doctor told me I was nearing exhaustion and sent me home for a week to rest.
It's a process, I just have to go through it.
Again congratulations!!
sorry for all the issues you are having, i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

you have the right attitude, as it is a process and we just have to go through it.

thanks for your service at the VA! that alone should score you some good karma!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer