Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
You are not alone in your chemo treatments.

It took mom a full year also to get over the chemo treatments before she could even go outside! She was bedridden for a full year.
Physically I was drained but I continued to press on. A week after chemo I delivered and installed a half dozen grave stones.

Mentally it was a whole different animal.

It was hard, because the spouse at the time expected me to be normal right away. That I could resume right were I left off before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 08:02 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,991,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Physically I was drained but I continued to press on. A week after chemo I delivered and installed a half dozen grave stones.

Mentally it was a whole different animal.

It was hard, because the spouse at the time expected me to be normal right away. That I could resume right were I left off before.
Mom had both her breasts removed, then started chemo. She wasn't the same person after that, but after the surgeries she couldn't do much of anything for about a year. She had maybe 1 good year in the 5 year fight where she was her normal self, but she couldn't hold on.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Quote:
Mom had both her breasts removed, then started chemo. She wasn't the same person after that, but after the surgeries she couldn't do much of anything for about a year. She had maybe 1 good year in the 5 year fight where she was her normal self, but she couldn't hold on.
That was my aunt with liver cancer.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
That was my aunt with liver cancer.
My aunt died of breast cancer. It took her life in 6 months though.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
My aunt died of breast cancer. It took her life in 6 months though.
She was lucky. It's better to be dead-dead as opposed to semi-dead.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
She was lucky. It's better to be dead-dead as opposed to semi-dead.
Yup. She was pretty lucky in that respect.

I would have rather seen my mom go in 6 months than see her suffer for 5 years.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,264 times
Quote:
Yup. She was pretty lucky in that respect.

I would have rather seen my mom go in 6 months than see her suffer for 5 years.
I'm sorry for your losses.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 PM

223 posts, read 166,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalquimista View Post
So, I was speaking with a friend, hadn't seen him since High School. He was talking about being back to normal duty at work, and I said when was your surgery? He thought I said what, and before I could stop him, he said "well, to be honest, I had my nut cut off."

WHAT?!?! I didn't even know what to say, I didn't know how to respond...

Now, maybe I've been living under a rock, or is that not something you share to only close friends or family? I have no idea why he mentioned that, and so early on in the conversation. Any thoughts?!?
He's honest.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalquimista View Post
Let me clarify... after the initial shock, I did ask if it was cancer, and was concerned. I just wasn't expecting to hear that. I don't think any less of him, it's something he can't help, and should not be ashamed of. My question was in regards to him saying it so soon, as in maybe he is self conscious about it and wants to put all of his cards on the table right away.
My guess would be that after cancer treatment, worrying what the long term consequences would be and basically going through hell, he's gotten a lot less hung up on the issue than your average person. After all, it's a testicle--just another part of the body. And as others have said, he may be trying to get everything out in the open just in case you're one of those people who would cut and run over the idea of a guy with one ball.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,042,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naked solomon View Post
i don't think that would really be a problem to him unless he has scars on his junk.
For the record, if a testicle is removed due to cancer, or in my case, Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, the scar is on the lower abdomen. And as SD4020 said, the chemo treatments are far worse than the surgery. (In my case, I needed both traditional IV chemotherapy AND chemotherapy adminstered through the spinal cord, as well as radiation therapy. I'm very much recovered from the surgery, but still working through the various impacts of the treatments.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer