Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:22 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalquimista View Post
So, I was speaking with a friend, hadn't seen him since High School. He was talking about being back to normal duty at work, and I said when was your surgery? He thought I said what, and before I could stop him, he said "well, to be honest, I had my nut cut off."

WHAT?!?! I didn't even know what to say, I didn't know how to respond...

Now, maybe I've been living under a rock, or is that not something you share to only close friends or family? I have no idea why he mentioned that, and so early on in the conversation. Any thoughts?!?
I do this ALL the time. In fact, I carry it around in a mason jar so I can show people. You do get some odd looks when you put it on the counter at the 7-11 while you pay for your coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:35 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
I had both of mine cut off. If feels funny......they don't smack up against........

Old 07-07-2011, 09:46 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalquimista View Post
So, I was speaking with a friend, hadn't seen him since High School. He was talking about being back to normal duty at work, and I said when was your surgery? He thought I said what, and before I could stop him, he said "well, to be honest, I had my nut cut off."

WHAT?!?! I didn't even know what to say, I didn't know how to respond...

Now, maybe I've been living under a rock, or is that not something you share to only close friends or family? I have no idea why he mentioned that, and so early on in the conversation. Any thoughts?!?
Well, it could have possibly gotten weirder if he volunteered that he was recovering from surgery and then became evasive when prompted for more information.

He probably finds you interesting enough to be honest. If he's entertaining the notion of mutual nudity in the future, that's probably not something he wants you to find out then.

Also, he's probably driving around in his car right now punching the steering wheel and cursing himself for a boorish brute of a conversationalist. "OH MY GOD!!! WHY DID YOU SAY THAT?? 'Uhhhh, I just had my NUT cut off...' IDIOT!!!"

Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times
Poor guy.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:31 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I do this ALL the time. In fact, I carry it around in a mason jar so I can show people. You do get some odd looks when you put it on the counter at the 7-11 while you pay for your coffee.
I wish they would have given me that option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Poor guy.
It is really okay. Honestly. I have 6 years with just one.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:17 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Another thing is that cancer survivorship becomes a big part of your identity- particularly if you're young. I'm going to have to go through all of my adult dating life trying to find a way to explain to potential partners about the 8 months I lost to chemotherapy and the way that changed everything in my life. Talking about getting a few lymph nodes removed or about the state of my fertility is no longer something private anymore- it's become daily conversation. When you're not around someone battling cancer, it's hard to remember that. I get asked daily at work how my nausea is going or how I'm holding up with constipation and fatigue - once that happens, my "new normal" of how to interact with new people is totally skewed.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Another thing is that cancer survivorship becomes a big part of your identity- particularly if you're young. I'm going to have to go through all of my adult dating life trying to find a way to explain to potential partners about the 8 months I lost to chemotherapy and the way that changed everything in my life. Talking about getting a few lymph nodes removed or about the state of my fertility is no longer something private anymore- it's become daily conversation. When you're not around someone battling cancer, it's hard to remember that. I get asked daily at work how my nausea is going or how I'm holding up with constipation and fatigue - once that happens, my "new normal" of how to interact with new people is totally skewed.
I lived that same through that exact thing. It does get better. And my new partners have no problem with my function or other issues that were a result of the chemo. It takes time to get through all those "new normals." My experience has been my partner is understand of it all. The ex wasn't so much. My current S/O is great with it all.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:25 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Nothing like a medical procedure to make you lose your inhibitions. Everybody and his brother stops in to have a look at the incision, change the dressing, check the drainage, etc. until any semblance of modesty is gone. I speak first-hand. Sadly, anyone who hasn't gone through the experience doesn't fully understand how casually we can talk about it.

Charolastra00 was right in stating that cancer survivorship becomes part of your identity. Everything in life becomes "before I had cancer" or "after my surgery" or "when I finished chemo".
Some people can't relate and they kind of lose touch. Not sure but I think they're afraid that too much talking about it leads to actually getting cancer.

I had a 7.3cm malignant tumor and 30% of my colon removed. Six months of chemo. Feeling miserable, physically and mentally. Three days after my last chemo, I was in rehearsal for a play. That's all I needed to spark my living again. Took me a while to convince my family, friends and fellow actors to stop tiptoeing around me. I'm doing fine, but I still have problems with people I don't see on a regular basis. I tell them that since they only removed part of my colon that I had semi-colon cancer.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:38 PM

I did a play a year after my chemo. A week after chemo I had a contract job to deliver and install 6 gave stones. I had a babysitter along in case things went to pieces and I did the work myself. I busted my hump and finished my project, I came home and slept really well that night.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:12 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Semi-colon cancer.
That's cute. I like your sense of humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Some people can't relate and they kind of lose touch.
This is a sad (but true) impact of having cancer. There are some people I knew who were supportive for a while, but then started to slowly fade away and lose contact with me. But the silver lining is that there are others who were not as close who became closer.

There have been many negative outcomes from my cancer, but if one of the positive outcomes was to sort out who the real friends are, that's fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer