Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:04 PM

165 posts, read 896,811 times

Advertisements

New diagnosis breast cancer with 1st appt with both the oncologist and surgeon coming up this week. What questions should we ask them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
I would want to know how large the tumor is and if he feels it has spread.

I would want to know whether he recommended a lumpectomy or removal of the breast.

If he said lumpectomy I would want to feel very assured that he had gotten it all, and might discuss just removing the breast anyway.

I would want to know how long I would be in the hospital.

I would want to know how long it would be before I was healed up.

I would want to know if I would be receiving chemo and/or radiation, and what to expect as far as side affects of those.

I would want to know what stage cancer I had.

I would want to know how often I should receive a mammogram from now on.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
If they haven't told you already, at the very least you'll want to know what kind and stage it is - and an estimate of size (they might not know size/spread until after surgery if that's even warranted). They'll likely tell you what your treatment options are, they'll probably indicate which treatment they recommend and why, and they'll indicate what your prognosis is given their current understanding and recommended treatment.

This site was a good resource for me and has plenty of different questions to consider.Susan G. Komen for the Cure | Understanding Breast Cancer | Resources | Questions to Ask PDFs | Questions to Ask the Doctor PDF Downloads

You'll likely have more than one visit with these doctors before treatment so you'll have other opportunities to ask questions. To avoid getting overwhelmed you might want to focus now on questions that will help you understand what you're dealing with and what your treatment options and timeline are like. You can save more specific questions about treatment, side effects and recovery for future visits.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in December 2011, had surgery in January 2012, had radiation after surgery, and currently am taking Tamoxifen. I'll be happy to answer other questions for you via DM and/or email. Meanwhile I'll be thinking the best for you.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
Welcome to the club no one wants to join. I was diagnosed this past January. The two posts above have great suggestions. I would recommend getting a copy of your pathology report, and have your doctors explain it to you. Whether you are ER+, PR+ and HER2+ will make a huge difference in your treatment plan. You may want to ask if it would be appropriate to do genetic testing. If there is a suspicion that you may be BRCA+, which is genetic, that will also affect your treatment plan.

I recommend Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book; it has been super helpful for me. So has breastcancer.org. I would also encourage you to consider getting a second opinion, just to be sure, and to not feel pressured in making any immediate treatment decisions if you are not 100% sure. Except for very rare cases, there is no harm in taking days or even a few weeks to think about things, weigh your options, and seek information.

Please feel free to send me a direct message if you need to talk. The beginning is the hardest part; accepting the diagnosis, all the tests, and then waiting for test results. But I promise you, you can do this, you will get through this. I have had a lumpectomy, 2 port placements (first one had to be removed), six rounds of chemotherapy, a mastectomy, tamoxifen for a month, right now I'm doing radiation and herceptin, and next year will be It's not been easy but I'm getting through it. You are not alone.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
With any cancers; you want to know if there are any negative prognosis factors & long term side effects.

Good luck.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:50 PM

711 posts, read 932,877 times
Questions for your oncologist & surgeon? I wish you the best of luck and all good things to boot. The ones I have dealt with are either so sarcastic you wish you hadn't asked or plain don't know the answer so they attempt to create an argument.You are dealing with a pompous breed of cat (or rat) and I hope your experience will be proper.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:39 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
Start with writing every thought, concern and question on paper. Otherwise you might get in there and forget what to say. If possible, take someone else with you.

Also keep a daily journal of calls and visits to docs.

This helped me and I hope it helps you.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:00 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Write down your questions. Also I'd suggest a 3 ring binder and ask for a copy of all labs and other reports. I suggest this, in case you miss something during a doctors appointment you can recall it later on. Also try to take notes, sometimes things will be clinical and technical.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Write down your questions. Also I'd suggest a 3 ring binder and ask for a copy of all labs and other reports. I suggest this, in case you miss something during a doctors appointment you can recall it later on. Also try to take notes, sometimes things will be clinical and technical.
the binder is a great idea. We were given one when hubby started his radiation and we keep everything in it, not always organized but at least it is there.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:24 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
Questions for your oncologist & surgeon? I wish you the best of luck and all good things to boot. The ones I have dealt with are either so sarcastic you wish you hadn't asked or plain don't know the answer so they attempt to create an argument.You are dealing with a pompous breed of cat (or rat) and I hope your experience will be proper.
I cannot wrap my head around sweeping generalizations based on limited experience. I have a GP, a cardiologist, a gastroenterologist, two surgeons and an oncologist. Not one of them has ever copped an attitude with me, even at my most abrasive.

I'm sorry that you had less-than-sympathetic doctors, but this is not the time to pass on your condemnation of an entire profession to the OP.

For the OP: Writing your questions will make it easier to remember just what it is you want to know. In the beginning, I wrote it down, left a little space between each question for the answers.

The binder is a great idea because it keeps track of your treatment, expenses and most important, your feelings from day to day.

If your medical offices have handout information sheets, read them thoroughly as they may contain some of your answers.

Above all, when people start offering negative comments, dismiss them and focus on the positives that you experience. Sure, there will be days when you will feel down, and everything will seem bleak, but I found that those days were only as bad as I let them be. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer