Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times

Advertisements

[quote=charolastra00;38842987]Healthy diet mitigates risk, it does not prevent.

And, for the record, I eat green smoothies with lots of "alkalizing" veggies and superfoods for 2 meals a day in hopes that it will MITIGATE my risk of relapsing. But I still very much could relapse despite a stellar diet.[/QUOTE Youre stilldong someone to help yourslef though.. good luck to you charolastra,,,, I drink two or three glasses of beetroot, carrot and apple juice every day or alternate veg or fruit... but try to always have the beetroot...

Old 03-18-2015, 10:02 AM

708 posts, read 823,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I only wish that were true. I was recently diagnosed with a second breast cancer (the first was six years ago). In the interim, I faithfully followed just about everything that is recommended in the way of anti-cancer diets: curcumin, vit D3, green tea, cruciferous vegetables, eliminating meat, etc. etc.

Unfortunately, genetic testing showed that I have two genetic mutations that predispose me to breast cancer. The solution to that? Bilateral mastectomy. If I'd known about the genes the first time, I would have had the full surgery then instead of just a lumpectomy. I honestly do not believe that diet would have prevented this second tumor.

It is a shame you did not research into Iodine, I think that is one of the most essential minerals above all of the others you mentioned concerning breast cancer. Have a read of an old post I did here.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:15 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestOfTruth View Post
It is a shame you did not research into Iodine, I think that is one of the most essential minerals above all of the others you mentioned concerning breast cancer. Have a read of an old post I did here.
Thanks for the link, but I actually was taking a kelp / iodine supplement as well. I didn't list everything I was eating or taking in my post, just a sampling.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Healthy diet mitigates risk, it does not prevent.

And, for the record, I eat green smoothies with lots of "alkalizing" veggies and superfoods for 2 meals a day in hopes that it will MITIGATE my risk of relapsing. But I still very much could relapse despite a stellar diet.
Agree. I'm on my second go around with the big C....two different types, 15 years apart. I eat well, have exercised since I was a kid, live a healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately was blessed with bad genes going back to my great great grandmother. All the ladies of the family had breast cancer.

Alas also blessed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol on my dad's side since my early 20s and the most physically fit in my life. Unfortunately genetics does play a heavy role in things...cancer or other illnesses. All I can do is try to do my best...lifestyle wise.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:37 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintertimesasness View Post
All types of cancer can be totally prevented and reversed by a a healthy diet. Cancer is entirely treatable and requires major lifestyle changes.
Not true, cancer is a disease not an eating disorder.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:15 PM

708 posts, read 823,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Thanks for the link, but I actually was taking a kelp / iodine supplement as well. I didn't list everything I was eating or taking in my post, just a sampling.

Kelp supplements do not have enough Iodine in it when it comes to cancer concerns. The average kelp tablet has from 135mcg to 225 mcg of Iodine in it. Some cancer patients take from 50mg to 100mg a day and that is only possible with either Iodoral tablets or Lugols. You also need to take into consideration the Iodine antagonists, environment and competing halides. In your case, Kelp would not make much difference if any at all, it's too weak. It is a great source of nutrients in general if it is from a clean source.

Read this link and you will see what I mean. Even if you wanted to get 6mg of Iodine a day, that would be about 30 kelp tablets which of course is not feasible or healthy. You did say kelp / Iodine supplement but I assume you were not taking 50mg of Lugols 5% Iodine liquid a day.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:37 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Not true, cancer is a disease not an eating disorder.
No one said it was an eating disorder but eating right can help to prevent it in many cases. Not in all cases, obviously. If you are trying to prevent a female hormonal cancer you would do well to omit high estrogen foods. A doctor told me that one of them is soy, so don't eat too much soy. He said no more than 1/2 cup of soy per day.

The cruciferous vegetables ( cabbage, broccoli family) are supposed to help prevent stomach cancer or colon cancer--I can't remember which off the top of my head but yes, diet can be a factor in preventing some cancers.

There are a lot of food additives that can probably cause cancer too, if consumed over the years. That's hard to prove since cancer can take so long to develop but it would seem wise to err on the side of caution and eat food that's as pure as possible.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:55 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
This whole idea that raw food contains magical compounds that will cure all the body's ills is romantic at all but mostly BS, a lot of it generated by the supplement industry so they can peddle their overpriced items. (Think curezone and all the liver flushes, coffee enemas, and other quack science that they peddle there) Genetics are the biggest factor in whether one will get cancer or not, that and exposure to chemicals and radiation... I'm too wary of all the pesticides in modern produce to go living off of veggies and juicing in large quantities.

I don't live life fearing cancer... I figure if it's my time, so be it. I'm not going to live off veggies just in case.. I don't really care if I live until 100 as I believe in reincarnation anyways.

Mental attitude is more important than supplements.. lack of stress, positive outlook, and laughter... but even these won't help you if you have a genetic predisposition towards arterial plaque or whatever.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:39 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
I saw my mother fall apart when she was told she had lung cancer..she went from still walking around and shopping with the illness to collapsing on the floor and went downhill very fast dying two weeks later.. strange how the mind works isnt it...but she came from a family with heart problems which she had too.. she was a heavy smoker most of her life but stopped ten years before she died through her heart condition.. but it got her in the end.... I truly believe that what we put into our bodies plays a very big part.. smoking, drinking alcohol.. greasy foods etc and of course the environment plays a very big part...what we use cleaning our houses, on our bodies too... and i think we can help stave off many cancers with our food intake.. beetroot has been proven to help prevent cancers and to help with cancers too...anything with a high antioxidant content must help.. Apart from all this I think they have cures out there not being used yet .. we all have to die sometime but please not with cancer... I think we have to open our minds to what can be done to help ourselves and not just rely on doctors and what they go by...

Old 03-25-2015, 05:24 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Eating badly, living an unhealthy lifestyle in general, can contribute to an increased risk of getting cancer.

Eating well, living a healthy lifestyle in general, can contribute to a decreased risk of getting cancer.

Since there are so many different causes of cancer, it's pretty asinine to assume there's only one effective cure or treatment.

Saying that eating well can prevent cancer is like saying that never being exposed to the sun prevents cancer. Or never smoking or being exposed to anyone else's smoke prevents cancer.

It's just silly. None of these things prevent cancer. They reduce the risk. Nothing more or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer