Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 05:44 AM

4 posts, read 46,201 times

Advertisements

Hi

Hope someone can help. I work in an old health clinic on the eastern sea board. My job is having a dental xray clinic next week all day! in the room above where I work! I have serious doubts about this as the floor of this room is only standard floorboard and the ceiling above my head is only standard plasterboard. These are over 40 years old.

My question is can xrays which are standard in dental practices penerate these materials - even slightly over the course of hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
Probably, but I've never heard of a radiology room that was leaded on the ceiling. When an x-ray is taken, the radiation spreads out exponentially, so your exposure decreases dramatically the more distance you put between yourself and the source. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Probably, but I've never heard of a radiology room that was leaded on the ceiling. When an x-ray is taken, the radiation spreads out exponentially, so your exposure decreases dramatically the more distance you put between yourself and the source. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for that. Though as I'm stuck in the room below this xray clinic I'm worried about the risk as the clinic will be all day and its floor is not leaded! Funnily their door is.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 AM

Just to clarify I'm not a radiologist or dentist and I'm not connected to this clinic, its just that I happen to be in the room below this clinic at the time.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:56 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
The factors that effect radiation are: 1) Time 2) Distance 3) Shielding. As long as you are in another room, you should be quite safe. One of the reasons the operator always stands behind a wall when taking X-rays is to prevent occupational exposure. The machines and sources are shielded and calibrated (and regularly inspected) to control any random exposures.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:14 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
IIRC, the guns are shielded on the sides, so the beam is very directional. Unless someone's jaw drops on the floor, you are probably out of the line of fire.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
IIRC, the guns are shielded on the sides, so the beam is very directional. Unless someone's jaw drops on the floor, you are probably out of the line of fire.
LOL! Thanks to all for your kind advise and consideration.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,221 times
Doesn't answer the question. The person in the office below would be exposed over a long period of time. The X-ray technician or hygienist stands behind a wall because of the many days or even years of exposure. The ladies concern is valid and warrants further investigation. How much is the flooring and ceiling material blocking X-ray's? If it wasn't a good safety practice for a hygienist to stand behind a wall why would they bother? Because long term exposure is a risk, so your concern is valid.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:38 AM

422 posts, read 524,085 times
According to this website (https://www.aegisdentalnetwork.com/i...stants-at-risk), dental health care workers need to stand at least 6 feet away from the instrument or behind a wall. Will you be more than 6 feet from the machine? Here's another site that you might find informative: XrayRisk.com : FAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer