Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 07:52 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
I had my lumpectomy done at the end of March. I arrived at the Surgical Center at 10 am, inside the OR for one hour and five minutes, rested 30 minutes afterwards, and left for home at 1 pm.

On the same day I had the operation, I had to be at the GH, which is a 8-10-minute drive from the Surgical Center. I arrived at 7:30 am. Radiologist gave 3 shots of local freezing near my LB nipple, and using mammogram she inserted a very thin wire into the left breast to locate the area to be removed during surgery. She later handed me the signed report to bring along to the Surgical Center.

The day before the surgery date, I was at the GH (Nuclear Medicine zone) where a doctor injected a radioactive substance into my LB. I returned an hour later for scanning / image taking. Those images were given to me to bring along with me to the Surgical Center.
This was exactly my experience when I had a lumpectomy, 12 years ago. Radioactive dye, guide wires, quick surgery. It was a long day (partly because the surgeon was late coming from another procedure), but I was home by the end of the day.

When I had the double mastectomy, six years ago, I had to stay overnight. I was good to go the next morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 06:34 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
On a lighter note, I wonder what everyone’s best sources for bras are post surgery?

After my first mastectomy, 12 years ago, I was rather disappointed at the options for undergarments and prosthetics. Even with a prescription and good medical coverage, they cost hundreds of dollars, and the bras never were comfortable. It was a struggle to match up the remaining breast with a fake one. I finally settled on a regular underwire with a prosthesis.

So, fast forward to the present. I am now flat, which is a heck of a lot easier than half flat. In some ways I feel like I’m 12 again. However I’m still feeling like I want to wear something with a bit of a curve to it.

I’ve found a few more options online since the first time, but I’m still experimenting. I’ve gotten a few bras from AnaOno, but seriously $50.+ seems like a lot to pay for a simple bra. They also have a few inexpensive “foob” options.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:40 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
I feel your pain, and I have a bra problem, too. I have implants, so I don't need prosthetics and technically don't need a bra at all. However, I feel uncomfortable without one and there is sometimes a see-through issue as well. The only bras that fit correctly over the implants are stretchy sports bras (anything already cup-shaped or with an underwire doesn't work). But sports bras have wide straps that don't go well with, say, a nice dress for an evening out. I'm at my wit's end on what I can get that would be better.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:36 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I feel your pain, and I have a bra problem, too. I have implants, so I don't need prosthetics and technically don't need a bra at all. However, I feel uncomfortable without one and there is sometimes a see-through issue as well. The only bras that fit correctly over the implants are stretchy sports bras (anything already cup-shaped or with an underwire doesn't work). But sports bras have wide straps that don't go well with, say, a nice dress for an evening out. I'm at my wit's end on what I can get that would be better.
I’ve gotten some sports bras from TomBoy. They have pockets to put in pads, or not, but I get what you mean about them being very inelegant for many circumstances.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:21 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
On a lighter note, I wonder what everyone’s best sources for bras are post surgery?

I’ve found a few more options online since the first time, but I’m still experimenting. I’ve gotten a few bras from AnaOno, but seriously $50.+ seems like a lot to pay for a simple bra. They also have a few inexpensive “foob” options.
One way to look at that expense is that the bra may last longer...if you can limit yourself to only wear it under specific garments that really benefit from the shape. From day to day when that isn't as much of a concern, go flat and leave it tucked in a drawer. Sure, maybe a few people will detect the "inconsistency" but not that many. People closest to you who know what you've been through will hopefully cut you some slack. FWIW, I love going flat. My shape was never that much of a concern to me. If anyone happens to notice something seems to be missing I don't really care that much. If they want to bother their heads about it doesn't matter to me. Its their problem, not mine.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:05 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,333,320 times
Having trouble deleting post on my phone. Erased it.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-06-2020 at 12:35 AM..

Old 09-03-2020, 09:12 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,333,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
That was quick. Hope you are doing well.
Thank you, love. This place has been so comforting.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:19 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times
With the double mastectomy, I have tried all kinds of bras. Right now, I have an amoena which is kind of like a sport bra type material but has the separate cups to make you look separated.
I used to like the genie bras but they've changed the material to where it's flimsy and doesn't hold a prosthesis that well so no more genie. Amoena is similar to genie but heavier material. I don't wear a bra everyday as most days, I am home.
For more dressier wear, if the amoena doesn't work, I have a pretty bra from the store that I wear. I put coverings on the prosthesis' and put them in the bra when I put the bra on. There have been times also to where I would stuff cotton in a bra. I've tried all kinds of things and after 10 years of this, it still is a pain when the bra doesn't look right to what you're wearing.
And yes, bras are expensive but I've found with the amoena I have, it is the most comfortable with what I wear most of the time which are t shirts and tunic type shirts. I wear it a couple of times a week and it's lasted me almost 3 years. I wash it by hand and it still holds up nice.

One of the posters mentioned going flat all the time and that works for me when I'm home but I've found with certain tops I wear, they need some kind of extra stuff on top. I remember after my surgery and I was wearing bras again, I would cry every time I would put on one of my shirts and it hung the wrong way. I eventually gave up my shirts where I had to do that. Same with my bathing suit, I had to have something on the top or it looked weird. I don't wear a suit that often but I would like to have one I could wear comfortably without spending hundreds of dollars for a mastectomy suit. If anyone has any solutions to that, please share.

Happy Labor Day weekend to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer