Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 PM

23 posts, read 116,993 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to reduce my car insurance rates. My work hours are drastically reduced and I don't have health insurance.

I have an old import car and don't mind if I get no money if it gets damaged. I'm not scrimping on "Liability" coverage in case I injure people in another car.

With no health insurance, I want to have enough (but not excessive) medical coverage for injury to me and anyone else in my car if the accident wasn't my fault. Here are the two medical parts of my coverage:

Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Protection: 25/50/25 or 50/100/50 or 50/100/25 or none
Would pay for injuries in my car (no health insurance). Offers partial work compensation, but I wouldn't get hardly anything because my work hours are so low. Would kick in after "Medical" is exhausted.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP): 10,000 or 25,000 or 35,000 or none
Would pay for injuries in my car (no health insurance). But do I really need both so that "PIP" kicks in after "Medical" is exhausted?

Any formula that would be enough if I just had <u>one</u> of the above? I drive less than 5,000 miles a year and work online from home.

Thanks for any ideas on Medical or other redundant/unnecessary coverage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:26 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillDreaming View Post
I'm trying to reduce my car insurance rates. My work hours are drastically reduced and I don't have health insurance.

I have an old import car and don't mind if I get no money if it gets damaged. I'm not scrimping on "Liability" coverage in case I injure people in another car.

With no health insurance, I want to have enough (but not excessive) medical coverage for injury to me and anyone else in my car if the accident wasn't my fault. Here are the two medical parts of my coverage:

Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Protection: 25/50/25 or 50/100/50 or 50/100/25 or none
Would pay for injuries in my car (no health insurance). Offers partial work compensation, but I wouldn't get hardly anything because my work hours are so low. Would kick in after "Medical" is exhausted.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP): 10,000 or 25,000 or 35,000 or none
Would pay for injuries in my car (no health insurance). But do I really need both so that "PIP" kicks in after "Medical" is exhausted?

Any formula that would be enough if I just had <u>one</u> of the above? I drive less than 5,000 miles a year and work online from home.

Thanks for any ideas on Medical or other redundant/unnecessary coverage!
First we need to know what state you are in. Laws in states are different, and from those PIP limits, I'm thinking you might be in a no fault state.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 PM

Thanks! Washington (no-fault state). Guess I goofed by posting a long question. So:

Any tips on how to lower your car insurance bill if you...
-- Drive an old car -- not many annual miles but I drive on the busy interstate.
-- Old import car isn't worth much, so coverage for damage not needed.
-- Don't have health insurance (in case there's an accident that was my fault).
-- Work part-time, so compensation for lost work not an issue (such a little amount).
-- State liability minimum is 25/50/25 but everyone says $$ 50/100/50 $$ is critical.

Any ideas??? I do need to have a car. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:42 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,634 times
Sorry, I'm reluctant to give advice on a state I'm not licensed in, and I'm only licensed in traditional tort states. Maybe someone from a no fault state will weigh in.

I am confused on why you would need Uninsured/Underinsured coverage in a no fault state, you need to ask about that.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
example

Wisconsinites don't need to have ins. ans in MN we do.

What happens if someone from wi who doesn't have ins should hit you?
Where the accident happens is of no consequence nor is the state your LIs is issued.
Where is the money going to come from and is there going to be enough to cover the loss.

An automobile insurance policy covers several types of claims arising from accidents with cars. Some
coverages are required by state law and some are optional.
Liability protects your assets when you are legally liable for an accident. The insurance pays, on your
behalf, for injuries to people and damage to their car. This coverage is mandatory.

No Fault (also known as Personal Injury Protection or PIP) provides medical and wage loss benefits for
you and your family. Fault doesn’t matter. This coverage is mandatory.

Collision and Comprehensive cover damages to your car. Collision applies if you are in an accident with
another car or object. Comprehensive covers losses that are not collisions, such as theft or hail, and also
accidents involving deer. These coverages are optional.

Uninsured and Underinsured pay your medical expenses after No Fault is exhausted when the other driver
is legally liable but either does not have insurance or does not have enough money or ins coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Sorry, I'm reluctant to give advice on a state I'm not licensed in, and I'm only licensed in traditional tort states. Maybe someone from a no fault state will weigh in.

I am confused on why you would need Uninsured/Underinsured coverage in a no fault state, you need to ask about that.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 PM

So in my case, with an old car not worth repairing, I guess UIM is like extra medical coverage -- above and beyond PIP medical in case my car is hit and I'm injured? I guess it helps to have the extra medical coverage because I don't have health insurance? I work part-time so any lost wage compensation would be really minor.

Things have gotten more complicated. Like I used to be able to have Towing coverage without Comprehensive. Now I can't -- even though I'm wasting money on Comprehensive with such an old car (in case you know a way around this).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance