Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:06 AM

168 posts, read 365,301 times

Advertisements

Its an old car I dont drive , dont care if it's stolen or burned down and such.

what happens when you cancel insurance regarding DMV?

if you start over insurance within , say 1 yr or so
how much the rate goes up?

trying to figure out whats the best (cheapest ) option for this

this is in Texas

Last edited by hertz; 08-19-2015 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 09:49 AM

810 posts, read 3,307,020 times
How will you be able to renew your tags without insurance? It can't be done here in Georgia.

How much is insurance? Just liability?

What year, make/model is the car? Mileage? Condition?

Last week, I bought my college age daughter a simple car, 2002 Ford Focus with 88,000 miles. Insurance for the year is $332 liability only.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:07 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Check with the Department of Motor Vehicles. It might not be a violation to have a car without insurance, but it might be a violation to drive without it.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:51 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Cant rewnew the registration/inspection with out valid insurance. If you want to keep tags on the car you have to at least keep basic liability. If you don't care about keeping it on the road, turn the tags in and park the car.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:08 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz View Post
Its an old car I dont drive , dont care if it's stolen or burned down and such.

what happens when you cancel insurance regarding DMV?

if you start over insurance within , say 1 yr or so
how much the rate goes up?

trying to figure out whats the best (cheapest ) option for this

this is in Texas
You will most likely get a notice from DMV for no insurance.

Best to cancel your registration and return tag to DMV and park the vehicle off road.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:37 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Here's another thought: if you really never intend to drive it why don't you just sell it for whatever you can get?

Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
In NY, if you do not turn in the registration first, your license is subject to suspension for having an uninsured, registered vehicle. So check your local laws on this.

Next, if it is sitting outside, you may be in violation of local ordinances. Depending on where you are, you may only be able to store an unregistered, uninsured vehicle inside a garage. So also check on this.

Some insurance companies allow you to downgrade your policy for storage, at greatly reduced rates, if you will not be driving it. It may allow you to keep the tags/registration while not insuring it for road use. Check with your ins. co.

The rates are the rates. Are you canceling a whole policy or just taking a car off? If just taking a car off, you should be able to keep whatever deals, discounts, etc, your policy has. If your canceling the whole policy, you will be in the market for a whole new one when you put it back on the road.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:52 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Insurance is required to get inspection and registration regardless of road usage. Used to be farm vehicles were exempt from this, but I think that is no longer true.

IF the car is parked and not used at all, then it is legal to have it uninsured, uninspected and unregistered unless your HOA has rules against it. several people have run afoul of their HOA by having a parked car on premise, even when fully street legal and insured but not in working order. Having a vehicle that is not street legal would probably be more unacceptable to the HOA rule inclined.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:28 PM

168 posts, read 365,301 times
Thanks everybody

this is apartment complex
there is no problem with them as long as the tags are valid
and mine are until 4/16
even then , I have seen some cars with expired tags sitting there

if the tags do expire and go like that for a short time
why is a big deal ?
I will just (when I need it ) get the insurance , title , whatever else I need and go to DMV

I just wonder at this point , what will DMV do ?

Old 08-19-2015, 06:37 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz View Post

this is apartment complex
there is no problem with them as long as the tags are valid
and mine are until 4/16
even then , I have seen some cars with expired tags sitting there

if the tags do expire and go like that for a short time
why is a big deal ?
I will just (when I need it ) get the insurance , title , whatever else I need and go to DMV

I just wonder at this point , what will DMV do ?
It would be worth your while to find out what the DMV will do. In my state, if you cancel your insurance and don't turn in your tag, your registration is suspended for at least three months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance