Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2016, 08:01 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,009,364 times

Advertisements

I've never much thought about the importance of carrying medical payments on my auto insurance but recently after switching insurers I've been wondering, is the importance of having it more for you or for people you're driving with? In the past I always carried it because I didn't think twice about it but last year I dropped it. Now after switching my new agent initially suggested I pick it up again but I lowered the coverage amount because we rarely drive people places and we have very good medical insurance. Do I need it at all or is there a reason I should increase it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 09:58 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
It's a good idea to have at least $10k in medical payments, if not more. The coverage is not only for your passengers, but will pay out for you as well. For example, say you hit a patch of ice and hit a light post and needed to go to the hospital and get stitches. Yes, your health insurance would pay, but you would have a deductible. Your medical payment coverage on your auto policy would payout towards any medical expenses you would have including your deductible.

As far as a passenger, it would pay out for any medical expenses they would have and if their medical expenses exceeded that coverage then your liability coverage would kick in.

Medical payment coverage is typically pretty cheap on your policy and should not be overlooked! It could save you thousands in medical bills! When my husband fell asleep at the wheel, our medical payment coverage saved us from having to pay our $5000 health insurance deductible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance