Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:54 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times

Advertisements

We have Progressive- our insurance rate tripled after 2 accidents within a year (1 not at fault, but we were hit at full speed while waiting at a Stop Light and it totaled our car, and the other was my husband having a fender bender in a parking lot).

When we got the notice of the rate increase, I called them and they ended up reducing the rate to half of what they initially notified us it would be- it was still more than what we had been paying but not as much of an increase as it was going to be (and we kept our same coverage and deductible)

Therefore I definitely think it is worth calling your existing insurance and talking to someone to see what they can do for you before shopping around.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 05:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 850,468 times
got the same policy from Geico at 2/3 the price
not bad for my situation
will hopefully also help when I move to a much smaller town ? hope so

Old 03-24-2017, 08:28 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
I got into 2 minor accidents ( fender benders) my fault
no one was hurt and car damage was minimal in each case but my insurance rate has gone through the roof ( they increased it 200 %)
I have esurance

Can anybody recommend what can I do to cut down my car insurance costs ? is it worth switching

I can shop around for better rates but are not all the major insurance companies the same when it comes to price and which ones are reliable ? i.e will actually pay when I need to use it
My first advice is stop buying your insurance over the internet. Instead, find an independent insurance agent and talk to him. Agents that deal in multi lines of coverage can find you another company when the company you are with treats you unfairly. Sometimes agents know tricks that affect the underwriting of the policy and they can get you a lower rate.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:24 PM

14,460 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My first advice is stop buying your insurance over the internet. Instead, find an independent insurance agent and talk to him. Agents that deal in multi lines of coverage can find you another company when the company you are with treats you unfairly. Sometimes agents know tricks that affect the underwriting of the policy and they can get you a lower rate.
We did that and went to AAA who are independent agents. Premiums went down vs. Allstate and if a "no fault' accident had not happened about 2 years ago, the premium would have been $210 a year lower. Hopefully when the accident is 3 years old the rates do go down. They also gave us a device for our vehicles to monitor driving habits and the results will save us another 5% and can save us up to 35% per vehicle per year.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:36 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
I got into 2 minor accidents ( fender benders) my fault
no one was hurt and car damage was minimal in each case but my insurance rate has gone through the roof ( they increased it 200 %)
I have esurance

Can anybody recommend what can I do to cut down my car insurance costs ? is it worth switching

I can shop around for better rates but are not all the major insurance companies the same when it comes to price and which ones are reliable ? i.e will actually pay when I need to use it
I had one accident and they increased my rates 100%. So it doesn't surprise me that they increased your rates 200% for two accidents.

Just go to an independent agent. They will be able to find you an insurance company that will be happy to overlook your accidents to get your business. You will still probably be paying more though. You probably can't afford to have another accident.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,568,534 times
After a perfect driving record for many years, I had an accident and my rates skyrocketed. I'd heard the commercials for AIS and figured I'd have nothing to lose. I saved over $1000 just like the commercials said! They are brokers so shop around for you. I wound up getting renters insurance through them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance