Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 10:44 AM

96 posts, read 167,606 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was driving my vehicle one day. As I was driving, all the lights on the dash came on and my car stalled. Had car towed to dealership thinking it was a batter issue. Turns out I have severe water damage which was a complete and utter shock.

The tech found almost a foot of water in/underneath the car. I had no smells in the vehicle, no signs of water, nothing! They told me the water drainage pipe is broken which causes all the damage. I promptly filed an auto insurance claim.

I was informed that this might be my responsibility as this is maintenance. If the sun roof was clogged with debris (which it never was) this would have the caused the pipe to "back up" which isn't the insurance co's responsibility.

This is so surreal to me. I just brought my car in for scheduled service, and everything was fine. I had no signs there was something wrong with my car until it gave out. I took really good care of my car, and really, I hardly ever drive it.Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 11:29 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Read your policy.

Your coverage should look like this:

Quote:
"Collision" means the upset of your covered auto or a non-owned auto or their impact with another vehicle or object.
Loss caused by the following is considered other than collision:
Missiles or falling objects;
Hail, water or flood;
Fire;
Malicious mischief or vandalism;
Theft or larceny;
Riot or civil commotion;
Explosion or earthquake;
Contact with bird or animal; or
Windstorm;
Breakage of glass.
If breakage of glass is caused by a collision, you may elect to have it considered a loss caused by collision.
And the following exclusion applies:

Quote:
Damage due and confined to:
a. Wear and tear;
b. Freezing;
c. Mechanical or electrical breakdown or failure; or
d. Road damage to tires.
I think you are on your own but make sure you get a written denial from the claim rep with an explanation for the denial.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:50 AM

203 posts, read 327,439 times
This sounds like a maintenance issue and not something that would be covered by insurance. If you rarely drove the vehicle you might not have noticed that this was happening but unfortunately that is on you. It's not a comprehensive or collision event.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:41 PM

UPDATE*

The dealer performed a test, and the pipe was clogged, however, they are unable to determine exactly what caused the clog (could have been a defect). No debris found in car which I knew there wouldn't be since I never open the sun roof. I feel that if I brought the car in for service 6 weeks ago, something would have been detected at that time. I was told the car was in perfect shape

Old 09-11-2017, 06:25 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy908 View Post
I feel that if I brought the car in for service 6 weeks ago, something would have been detected at that time.
Sure, could have been in perfect shape 6 weeks ago but there are many things on a car that work fine until they don't.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:27 PM

so, official reason for denial is clogged sunroof drain, lack of maintenance

How on earth does someone suspect their drain is clogged when there are absolutely no signs, and no opportunity to fix?

The night before the car died we also had a really bad storm, that triggered all of this I truly believe

Old 09-11-2017, 11:34 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
How old is the vehicle and where does it sit with all the manufacturer's warranties?

Old 09-12-2017, 08:48 AM

Default Update

I spoke with two other Mercedes Benz service departments in my area.

They advised me that cleaning the sunroof drain clog is not owner serviceable, and they strongly advise owners not to do this themselves as it could cause further damage.

The issue would have first needed to be identified, however, I was experiencing no issues with the car, no leaks, etc.

I do know from reading online that alot of German vehicles, especially BMW, has defective/faulty drainage pipes -(

Old 09-13-2017, 12:01 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times
How could you not notice a foot of water in your car?

Old 09-13-2017, 12:12 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy908 View Post
I spoke with two other Mercedes Benz service departments in my area.

They advised me that cleaning the sunroof drain clog is not owner serviceable, and they strongly advise owners not to do this themselves as it could cause further damage.

The issue would have first needed to be identified, however, I was experiencing no issues with the car, no leaks, etc.

I do know from reading online that alot of German vehicles, especially BMW, has defective/faulty drainage pipes -(
You situation is tough, but I think it comes down to the fine letter of the policy or contract. I, too, would characterize this as a maintenance issue even if you could not perform this service yourself.

The insurance company does not have an obligation to pay any claim you present. It must only pay those covered under the policy.

Sometimes, when the claim is a personal injury claim to a human being (as opposed to property damage) some policy exclusions will be held null and void based on a public policy that people should be able to recover at least some minimal amount for personal injuries. However, the same rationale does not apply to property damage claims.

A lawyer in your state could read the policy language and give you a better opinion than those of us on this forum can. However, that will cost you money and the result may well be the same.

Sometimes, we just have bad luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance