Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:50 PM

28 posts, read 20,900 times

Advertisements

I am going to buy a new car. A long story, but I won't be able to drive it off the lot for another week to 10 days.

Question: Do I need to start the insurance when I buy the car, or when I pick it up? By delaying purchasing insurance, I would save about $20. The dealer has insurance anyway and would just refund my money if anything happened, even though the purchase has been complete? So there is no need for me to start insurance right away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:09 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
I see your other post that you are spending $25,000 for a car, and am wondering why you would post an important question like this to strangers on the internet to save $20.

That said, in most states, if you own the car you must have at least minimum insurance for it (liability) if it is legally registered regardless if you drive it or not (check you states laws). If you are financing the car, they will require you to have a certain level of insurance as well.

If you want to save the $20, your best bet is to give a big deposit on the car for them to hold it for you and then complete the paperwork and the rest of the payment to officially own the car when you can go and pick it up, and then you won't have to worry about it.

If you must buy it now -- none of us on the internet can tell you what a specific dealer's insurance will or will not cover, if say your car was stolen from their lot while you own it. Particularly in this case since the car was not there for service or anything, you just are using it to park it there. They very likely have coverage if something like this happens while your car was in for service, but I can say there are numerous stories to be found online where a car was stolen or broken into from a dealer's lot and the person complained the dealer offered no assistance or payment, so it could definitely be a battle to collect if you could at all.

Get insurance, or don't complete the transaction to own the car is the smart move here.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:37 PM

I will buy the insurance then beforehand! Thanks z28lt1!

Old 01-19-2018, 05:19 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
As soon as you sign the paperwork you own the car, doesn't matter when you pick it up. Have insurance in place the day of signing.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
My insurer covers me for 3 days after buying even if I don’t call them, wherever it is. I would not wait that long usually but if I buy Saturday on a 3 day weekend cannot reach them until Monday.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:32 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Need some details from the long story. But I presume you don't actually own the car yet and just have a deposit holding it. In which case you don't own it so have nothing to insure.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:14 PM

A few notes: dealers will not hold a car for more than a few days with a deposit. They want it paid in full.

Second, if I buy a car and it sits on a lot for 10 days, I am not going to take delivery of it if it is totaled or damaged on the lot, whether I have insurance or not.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:22 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachstan22 View Post
A few notes: dealers will not hold a car for more than a few days with a deposit. They want it paid in full.

Second, if I buy a car and it sits on a lot for 10 days, I am not going to take delivery of it if it is totaled or damaged on the lot, whether I have insurance or not.
If you financed the car they won’t really care what you do with the car, you just have to make the car payments.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:32 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachstan22 View Post

You're going to pay for the car and leave it at the dealer but not take it if it gets damaged?

That's dumb.

If it gets damaged the dealer will tell you "Not our problem. You paid for it, you own it." Then you'll be back here sobbing "What are my rights?"

Don't buy it until you are ready to drive it off the lot. Anything else is just plain stupid.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:00 AM

What is the car's value if it is still on the lot and I have not taken delivery, but it is paid for? It is the full amount paid, the MSRP, or the NADA book value (which assumes you have driven it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance