Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 05:34 PM

23 posts, read 34,961 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have any experience with Metromile? It's insurance where you pay based on how many miles you drive. I work from home and prefer to walk and use public transportation when I can, so this seems like it would save me like $80 a month based on my quote, even with higher coverage. I feel like there must be some sort of catch. Anyone use this car insurance and have any feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 10:33 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
I just got something in the mail about Metromile and it sounds good. Curious if anyone has tried it since you posted over two years ago.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:40 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
They appear to be loved for the price savings so long as you're honest about how much you will be driving. They offer all sorts of neat stuff on their app if you don't mind someone tracking all your vehicle activity. But, the main complaint (based on the limited number of states they operate in with regulator reporting) they are bad when yo need them as in claims paying. I buy insurance based less on price and more on how they will treat me when I need their claims service. After all, insurance is about you when you need them not how cheap one can go.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:09 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
They appear to be loved for the price savings so long as you're honest about how much you will be driving. They offer all sorts of neat stuff on their app if you don't mind someone tracking all your vehicle activity. But, the main complaint (based on the limited number of states they operate in with regulator reporting) they are bad when yo need them as in claims paying. I buy insurance based less on price and more on how they will treat me when I need their claims service. After all, insurance is about you when you need them not how cheap one can go.
Which is exactly how I choose an insurance company.

I understand car insurance is an expensive product and most people do not have an unlimited budget. What I seldom see is a logical approach to buying car insurance. A logical approach might be to raise collision and comprehensive deductibles to a limit of $500 or more, so that one afford to increase limits on liability coverage, uninsured motorist coverage, and underinsured motorist coverage.

Too many people are thinking of car insurance as a product that they may use to pay to fix a used car that gets damaged in an accident. In reality, their focus should be on a catastrophic accident that leaves either themselves or another person with permanent injuries.

Yet, I know despite my admonition and your own reasoned comments that we will likely see half a dozen posts in the next month or two which imply that all insurance companies are the same and the cheapest coverage is always the best coverage. Not true. If someone is ever in a serious accident they will find that out.

For those who actually want quality insurance coverage, I assess companies in three tiers. The first tier are companies I have dealt with as an accident attorney that I believe have done a superior job of handling claims. The second tier of companies has done an average job. The third tier has been below average in claims service. It is only my opinion. However, here goes:

Tier One

Amica Insurance
The Hartford Insurance
USAA Insurance
Kemper Insurance
Auto Owner's Insurance

Tier Two

State Farm Insurance
Farm Bureau Insurance
Travelers Insurance
American Family Insurance
Allied Nationwide Insurance
MetLife Insurance
ANPAC Insurance
Cincinnati Insurance
Dairyland Insurance

Tier Three

Allstate Insurance
Progressive Insurance
Farmers Insurance
GEICO Insurance
UAIC United Automobile Insurance Company

I personally would not have insurance with a Tier Three company. However, too many people only want a piece of paper that says they have insurance and give claim service no thought.

Last edited by markg91359; 01-11-2018 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
I have Mercury Insurance which saved me $1200 from a previous company. Perfect driving record. My fifteen-year old car was smashed two years ago as it was parked and it's now designated salvage. It was hit in the rear but fortunately no mechanical damage. Mercury paid everything. I pay about $200 a month for a barebones policy (I don't own property and have two types of medical insurance) and live in a major city. I think I drive about 1500 miles a year max.

I need to call MetroMile for a quote, out of curiosity.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:28 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,935 times
I drive about 100 miles a week and metromile was double what I currently pay with 10% of the coverage. No thanks.

I have 100/300 with 100k prop damage liability and the metromile quote was for 15/30/5 with 15/30 with 5k for prop damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance