Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 02:37 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

Anyone have Amica for auto and home insurance premiums?
(compared to other carriers like AAA, Liberty Mutual, Travelers, Allstate, Progressive, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 02:58 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Anyone have Amica for auto and home insurance premiums?
(compared to other carriers like AAA, Liberty Mutual, Travelers, Allstate, Progressive, etc.)
Its a very high quality carrier with great claims service. However, its rates are generally above average and reflect that fact.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:35 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,039 times
I had Auto coverage with AMICA from 2007 to 2011. During that period, I had a glass claim (Comprehensive) and both Uninsured and (separate) Underinsured Motorist claims. They were exceptionally helpful in all of those situations, especially considering the complexity of the latter two claims. I highly recommend them.

But that level of customer service and quick/fair claims processing comes at a bit of a price. My annual premium was anywhere from $150 to $300 more than Progressive, GEICO or State Farm. In my opinion, it was well worth it. I felt that I was getting a great value for my $$$ even if it wasn't the lowest price.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:25 AM

59 posts, read 62,999 times
I recently received a "select drivers" mailing from Amica inviting me to get a free quote and switch. I'm not sure whether to believe it because I've read horror stories from people who say that it's just a baiting tactic where they try to sell you with a lower quote and then suddenly find some reason to change that rate once they've hooked you. I think Amica has also been reported to increase rates significantly after just the first 6 months, that good communication with their reps can be inconsistent and that they can drop customers without advance notice. Has anyone had an experience like this? I know that Amica always seems to be listed among the top of car insurance reviews, but there's a surprising number of consumer complaints against them as well. I don't mind paying a little more for insurance coverage that I can afford and count on, but I'm starting to question if there really is such a thing at all. I just keep praying that I can avoid being involved in any kind of future car accidents for as long as possible because it's a very stressful process to suffer through.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:47 AM

311 posts, read 193,770 times
Unfortunately, most insurance companies end up with the same problem. The problem often revolves around the motor vehicle report. Insurance companies can work out deals with Lexis Nexis to get all the credit reports / accident reports that insurance companies want for one flat rate. Motor vehicle reports, however, are controlled by the state and the state simply charges whatever it wants, and if you don't like it... tough.

Accordingly many agents (including me) will simply quote you without running a motor vehicle report. After all, why should we spend $10.75 to see your MVR if you're just a tire kicker? We just ask whether you've had any tickets, and everyone says no. I don't know whether this is faulty memory or willingness to lie. In a husband-wife relationship, I understand that hubby got a speeding ticket and never told the wife.

At any rate, once that MVR gets run all kinds of things can happen. For example:

1. It reveals that the person got their license at a later point in life than we assumed. Rates may rise.
2. It reveals that the person has an undisclosed ticket. Rates may rise.
3. It reveals that the person's license status is different (expired, suspended, canceled). Rates may rise or coverage may be denied.

This is one of the reasons I love State Auto and hate Safeco. State Auto's rates never change on me, but Safeco's rates may change after you have quoted and sold a policy. That's very embarrassing.

I've had the same problem with Progressive, Gainsco, Travelers, and a slew of other companies. It's just the way car insurance is.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:14 PM

I've now received a third letter from Amica to respond by early March for a new quote. I'm not sure what to make of it yet unless they know when my current insurance is going to expire. I checked their online website for a rate estimate, and I can get increased coverage for the same amount I'm now paying; however, I'd have to buy a 12 month policy instead of the 6 months I prefer. I still have some time to think about it, but I get the feeling that I'll keep getting letters from them as long as I have an accident-free record.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:55 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
We switched to Amica for auto and home about 5 years ago and never looked back. We had Nationwide for decades and finally decided that the endless rate hikes despite no claims made the hassle of switching worth it.

My SIL is an insurance lawyer, so I asked for her input. She said USAA and Amica were absolutely the best. The rest are all about the same, aside from some budget ones that absolutely suck. For the record, she said pretty much all insurance companies suck, with the exception of USAA and Amica. She specifically mentioned Geico as being one of the worst when it comes to claims.

We are eligible for USAA, but the premiums were crazy high. I think a lot of that depends on where you live. I know people for whom USAA is relatively cheap. Amica was quite a bit cheaper than Nationwide. Our home was about the same, but our auto premiums were much cheaper for the same coverage. They are also a mutual company, so we get a check once a year from them that is usually about $150. They also made switching very painless.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:57 AM

I'm looking for a company that can be relied upon when it comes to serious accident claims, and I've read that USAA, AMICA, and Hartford always seem to be rated highly, despite the fact that they all have their share of negative reviews too. If they're pickier than other insurance companies with whom they're willing to insure USAA (military), Hartford (AARP), and AMICA (selective mailings), I'm worried that their premiums would just keep increasing after the first year because they have a smaller number of customers paying into coverage pool. Does anyone know the maximum amount that a car insurance company would be allowed to increase per 6 months or year, even if you're accident-free for that time period?

Old 02-07-2019, 11:52 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva_B View Post
I'm looking for a company that can be relied upon when it comes to serious accident claims, and I've read that USAA, AMICA, and Hartford always seem to be rated highly, despite the fact that they all have their share of negative reviews too. If they're pickier than other insurance companies with whom they're willing to insure USAA (military), Hartford (AARP), and AMICA (selective mailings), I'm worried that their premiums would just keep increasing after the first year because they have a smaller number of customers paying into coverage pool. Does anyone know the maximum amount that a car insurance company would be allowed to increase per 6 months or year, even if you're accident-free for that time period?
I can only quote a neighbor that has had Amica for over 30 years. He has both home owners and car insurance (I think). Home owners I do know.

He swears by Amica. States that it is the best. Never mentioned any unordinary rate increases.

I tried to get Amica and didn't qualify as I had a 2 family home. Either I didn't qualify or they really don't do 2 family owner occupied homes.

For just automobile insurance I visit a few local autobody shops. I ask the owner/manager what auto insurance is the best to work with from the auto body shops perspective. Then purchase from those companies.

I absolutely would never get "Flows" or the "Gego" insurance as advertised on TV. I do use a local independent agent.

Haven't been in any at fault accidents in decades - so who knows what good my insurance is. But have had glass and hail damage and all was fixed promptly with no hassles.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:43 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva_B View Post
We've only had one small increase during the years we've had Amica. Still much, much less than the seemingly annual increased Nationwide used to issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance