Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 08:54 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times

Advertisements

a guy turned left directly in front of me. no one could have avoided hitting him. He turned in front of me but I did the hitting.
My car is totaled and I have liability only. I have given my insurance all the info and explained what happened.21st Century.
It's been almost a month and havent heard from his insurance. Geico. I did try to call Geico but got nowhere. I'm wondering if I should take my loss and let sleeping dogs lie since I did the hitting even though I believe he is at fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 09:06 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
Do you all not do police reports in CA?

Old 03-16-2022, 09:18 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
Not enough info to tell, however generally speaking, left turns in CA must yield to oncoming traffic and be made with "reasonable safety". If s/he turned into oncoming traffic and there were no other circumstances (see below), they should be found at fault.

Potential other circumstances:

-entering intersection on stale green or yellow light, or, of course, a red light.
-speed approaching or entering intersection
-you being distracted/texting

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Do you all not do police reports in CA?
More rare than other states, in my experience. Incidents must be reported to the DMV, however on-site reports are more typical when fatalities/injuries are present or multiple agencies present (i.e. fire); or in smaller municipalities.

Old 03-16-2022, 01:25 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Nowhere near enough information OP and none of us witnessed it. All we have to go on is your understandably biased two sentence description. For all we know you don't tend to leave enough following distance.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:27 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,912,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I did try to call Geico
What does that mean?

You either called GEICO or didn't. If you didn't, then call.
You either reached somebody and reported the claim, or you didn't. If you didn't, you keep calling.

Keep calling until you get an adjuster and a claim number.

Keep calling until you get results.

Also see:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=geico+repo...im&t=h_&ia=web

Old 03-16-2022, 08:39 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
After I made this post I went on Geico website and did make a claim. I was able to tell my side of the story. It took awhile there were a lot of questions and I had all the info.
Even though I believe he was at fault I did the hitting so who knows who will be judged at fault. So I'm wondering if I should have taken my loss and kept quiet?

Old 03-16-2022, 09:08 PM

640 posts, read 450,802 times
This is all very common, and things depend on state laws. In my state (MA), a person whose car is hit because he tried to cut across the traffic is at fault. I know somebody who has been in this situation -- twice. Once their car was hit, and later they hit a car like that. In both cases the driver doing the hitting was found not at fault.

So if you reported the accident within the required period of time, and CA laws are similar to MA in this respect, the other car's insurance might end up paying for your damaged car. YMMV!

Old 03-17-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
After I made this post I went on Geico website and did make a claim. I was able to tell my side of the story. It took awhile there were a lot of questions and I had all the info.
Even though I believe he was at fault I did the hitting so who knows who will be judged at fault. So I'm wondering if I should have taken my loss and kept quiet?
I already explained that - in CA - this is rarely true. In your side of the story, what would have lead to outside circumstances to make it your fault?

Old 03-17-2022, 09:44 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,912,913 times
Quote:
No, no need to take the loss. At least not without putting up a fight.

Making a left turn and failing to yield is not only a traffic violation but it's also negligence.

California Vehicle Code 21801(a):

"The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left or complete a u-turn upon a highway or turn left into public or private property or alley shall yield the right of way to all vehicles approaching from the opposite direction which are close enough to constitute a hazard at any time during the turning movement and shall continue to yield the right of way to the approaching vehicles until the left or u-tun can be made with reasonable safety"

Unfortunately, California also has 21801(b):

"A driver having yielded as prescribed in subdivision (a), and having given a signal when and as required by this code, may turn left or complete a U-turn, and the drivers of vehicles approaching the intersection or the entrance to the property or alley from the opposite direction shall yield the right-of-way to the turning vehicle."

Emphasize that he turned suddenly in front of you and you had no chance to avoid hitting him.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
No, no need to take the loss. At least not without putting up a fight.

Making a left turn and failing to yield is not only a traffic violation but it's also negligence.

California Vehicle Code 21801(a):

"The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left or complete a u-turn upon a highway or turn left into public or private property or alley shall yield the right of way to all vehicles approaching from the opposite direction which are close enough to constitute a hazard at any time during the turning movement and shall continue to yield the right of way to the approaching vehicles until the left or u-tun can be made with reasonable safety"

Unfortunately, California also has 21801(b):

"A driver having yielded as prescribed in subdivision (a), and having given a signal when and as required by this code, may turn left or complete a U-turn, and the drivers of vehicles approaching the intersection or the entrance to the property or alley from the opposite direction shall yield the right-of-way to the turning vehicle."

Emphasize that he turned suddenly in front of you and you had no chance to avoid hitting him.
(b)cvc is only a defense if the other party can claim they had control of the intersection and Vega failed to yield. Very rare since they would have to prove all of the conditions in (a) were met (as mentioned earlier - distracted/intoxicated/excessive or increasing speed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance