Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 03:49 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

How can one explain having to pay $30/day or more on a rental car? Some are even $50/day. That's equivalent to $1500/month. Are we really to believe that someone driving a rental car is 5-15X as risky as an owned car? If so, that would be equivalent to someone with a BAC over the legal limit!

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 07:36 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How can one explain having to pay $30/day or more on a rental car? Some are even $50/day. That's equivalent to $1500/month. Are we really to believe that someone driving a rental car is 5-15X as risky as an owned car? If so, that would be equivalent to someone with a BAC over the legal limit!

What gives?
I think its simply a profit item for the rental car companies and they charge more for it than they need too. They pray on the fears of some who rent cars. I never buy it. Your own car insurance should cover you as a matter of course when you drive a temporary or substitute automobile which a rental car is.

Last edited by markg91359; 02-04-2024 at 08:12 AM..

Old 02-04-2024, 07:37 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I can definitely understand that it's riskier - it's an unfamiliar vehicle, and let's say the renter picks it up at a big city airport - you're adding in unfamiliar roads and that big city traffic, and meanwhile they are looking around for radio controls, climate controls, windshield wipers, what-have-you as they're driving and trying to figure out where to turn... Now I don't think that should amount to 5-15x higher risk, but maybe 2-3x I could understand...

Old 02-04-2024, 08:26 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Profits is what it's about. Also consider who actually buys the insurance......hint it isn't the business executive that has the platinum AMEX card and the million dollar umbrella policy.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:51 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
As noted, it is a profit center, but it's also more because they have to insure without underwriting. They aren't considering individual risk factors like your personal insurance does, they have to insure everyone. Also, I suspect people don't treat the rental cars as well as they treat their own personal cars in many cases.

So yes more money for them, but also more (or at least less well known) risk.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:54 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Your own insurance should cover it. In addition, some credit cards also have a rental car insurance component (AMEX does, or did. I don't know about now. I always use my regular car insurance for coverage).

Old 02-04-2024, 10:13 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
It's a business. They look at any way to bring in extra money. Plain and simple. CC's should cover it. So should your insurance.

Some pay it because they don't want to have to deal with their insurance company if something happens. Kind of doesn't make sense to me as they'll have to deal with their own if the get in a wreck in their car. But perhaps, as someone else mentioned, they feel they'll have more of chance in wrecking with an unfamiliar car in an unfamiliar area. That and the salesman was good at convincing them how much they needed it.

I used to rent cars a bunch because of all the traveling and boat deliveries I did. I remember one time I splurged, years ago, and got the insurance as I was unclear whether I was covered or not. Hit a deer on the eastern Shore of VA while driving to Miami. Deer destroyed right side of front. Pulled into a Shore Stop to see if I could continue my drive and I missed the brake peddle and hit one of those concrete posts that stop idiots like me from plowing into the store. Yep, destroyed the other drivers side. Rental company sent a flatbed with another car on it and we did a swap. Never heard from them about it as all was good.

That clerk behind the counter had more of a "deer in the headlight look" as I was heading towards the door then Bambi did. And as seems to be usual, that devil animal just bounded away!

Old 02-04-2024, 02:32 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
As noted, it is a profit center, but it's also more because they have to insure without underwriting. They aren't considering individual risk factors like your personal insurance does, they have to insure everyone. Also, I suspect people don't treat the rental cars as well as they treat their own personal cars in many cases.

So yes more money for them, but also more (or at least less well known) risk.
This. They have to plan to cover some jetlagged tourist from Slovakia who doesn't read English fluently and who's never driven here as well as the 10-year local who only needs to rent a car because theirs is in the shop.

Old 02-04-2024, 03:05 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
I used to have a friend who worked at a car-rental place once upon a time. The way he put it was, "You can use your own insurance if you have an accident, but your insurance will go up, and will that cost you more than buying the rental-car company's insurance would have?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I can definitely understand that it's riskier - it's an unfamiliar vehicle, and let's say the renter picks it up at a big city airport - you're adding in unfamiliar roads and that big city traffic, and meanwhile they are looking around for radio controls, climate controls, windshield wipers, what-have-you as they're driving and trying to figure out where to turn... Now I don't think that should amount to 5-15x higher risk, but maybe 2-3x I could understand...
And, anything bought in smaller quantities than in bulk is going to cost more. Buy a tiny can of something at the grocery store rather than the big container? More expensive. Buy a couple days' worth of car insurance? More expensive than having a long-term policy. Some is likely the administrative costs of having to do the work to sign people up just for a few days vs. doing it once and it's good for years.

Old 02-04-2024, 03:55 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Probably pros and cons either way.

I normally use my personal insurance, but with repair cost escalating and the ability to get parts becoming a lengthy wait, if you wreck a rental and it's out of service for 3 or 4 weeks, maybe more, the insurance claim costs for making the company "whole" again can be astronomical. The rental company will be missing the income on that car while it's in the body shop....... someone has to make up that cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance