Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 06:15 AM

1,097 posts, read 647,541 times

Advertisements

I just changed car insurance and was offered a discount if I install their app to monitor my driving. So I opted in...who doesn't like a discount right?

Anybody use one of these apps and had their premium increase as a result of the data collected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 07:44 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
I think if you do a search on this forum, you'll see the majority have had bad experiences. It appears they don't really give you that much of a discount for being a good driver but hit you with a sack of bricks if you do even one single thing they consider bad.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:26 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
I cancelled (free) OnStar because I could not get details on what was being collected and how the data was disseminated. The data and interpretation of it will likely not aid the driver.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Insurance companies are not in business to save people money. Anything that they offer is meant to increase their profits. You can be the most careful, polite driver in the world, but at some time you are going to encounter a situation that requires you to do a hard stop, quick lane change, or other negative tracked maneuver that will cause a rate increase. It could be a deer, another driver cuts you off, or a kid's basketball rolling into the street. When my provider offered it I passed, but then I like to get from 0 to the speed limit as fast as possible with my 385 hp V8, so my chances of an increase are very high.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:57 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
I just changed car insurance and was offered a discount if I install their app to monitor my driving. So I opted in...who doesn't like a discount right?

Anybody use one of these apps and had their premium increase as a result of the data collected?
There are two types of people that are against monitored driving programs.

One type is the conspiracy nut who believes that the evil insurance company is compiling private information for sale to other entities. Well, news flash, everything there is to know about you is already out there.

The other type is the person who is in denial about their lousy driving habits.

I have been enrolled in State Farm's Drive Safe and Save program for almost two years. In that time, after the initial discount, my rates have fluctuated only a few dollars either way on renewal when they would have gone up by hundreds without the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I like to get from 0 to the speed limit as fast as possible with my 385 hp V8, so my chances of an increase are very high.
I have that problem solved. When I feel the need for speed I take out my 415 hp V-10 Dodge Viper, which is insured elsewhere on a collector car policy and not monitored.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:50 AM

1,097 posts, read 647,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I have been enrolled in State Farm's Drive Safe and Save program for almost two years. In that time, after the initial discount, my rates have fluctuated only a few dollars either way on renewal when they would have gone up by hundreds without the program.
Thanks for your response. Call me a skeptic, because I'm not following how one would know their rate would have gone up.

Last edited by akrausz; 03-22-2024 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-22-2024, 07:05 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Thanks for your response. Call me a skeptic, because I'm not following how one would know their rate would have gone up.
My renewal page tells me how much of a discount was applied.

I add that amount back into the actual renewal premium and that tells me how much I would be paying without the discount.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:32 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
My wife and I thought long and hard before we enrolled in our insurance company’s program. We were each given a device to install behind the rear view mirror and pair it to the insurance company’s app. Our phone must have Bluetooth turned on to connect to the device. We did see a reduction in our insurance. My wife’s health makes it so she hardly ever drives and never long distance. I’m a homebody to care for her so my driving is mainly 19 mile drive to and from work as well as grocery shopping 2 miles from home. There was some early problems with one road. At one time the posted speed limit was 45 mph but was changed to 55mph. It showed I was speeding. It had a feature that allowed me to report the discrepancies and a correction was made. We still get dinged for hard braking or hard acceleration when dealing with certain traffic conditions such as someone pulling out into traffic ahead of us or accelerating hard to merge into moving traffic. I would t recommend it for those who regularly travel in heavy traffic conditions or travel long distances.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:07 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,013,726 times
I give it another 10 years or so until there's widespread acceptance of having every facet of one's life monitored in exchange for a "discount" based on "good behavior": food purchases, eating habits, physical health, daily travel and movement, who you interact with and when, etc. This thread reads like a rough draft for an episode of Twilight Zone or Black Mirror, in the making.

To the OP: How much is the discount, and is it worth it in the long run? Your discount is funded by increasing the rates of everyone else who opts out of this fabulous money-saving offer. In return, every time you drive your own car you will constantly have this nagging, negative feeling of being watched, because you are.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:53 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I give it another 10 years or so until there's widespread acceptance of having every facet of one's life monitored in exchange for a "discount" based on "good behavior": food purchases, eating habits, physical health, daily travel and movement, who you interact with and when, etc. This thread reads like a rough draft for an episode of Twilight Zone or Black Mirror, in the making.

To the OP: How much is the discount, and is it worth it in the long run? Your discount is funded by increasing the rates of everyone else who opts out of this fabulous money-saving offer. In return, every time you drive your own car you will constantly have this nagging, negative feeling of being watched, because you are.
I get a variety of discounts from my insurer, but installing a device like that to monitor my driving is one I would pass on. I wonder how much the discount really is for most people anyway? Twenty dollars a month? Is it really that vital that you save $20 a month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance