Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

Like I said, hospice workers are a rare breed. I don't think I could manage, stay sane, if my job guaranteed me that every single customer I had, would die in my care. It takes a very special kind of mentality to handle that grave responsibliity, to overcome that mindset. I mean, it'd be one thing I suppose, if I was a nurse, and sometimes, had to accept that some of my patients would not live. But a hospice worker's job guarantees that NONE of their patients will live, because they come to the hospice worker at the end of their lives.

The last stop before the funeral home. I couldn't be a funeral home employee either, for the same reason. I don't have the fortitude to handle it

Old 01-17-2011, 06:14 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Like I said, hospice workers are a rare breed. I don't think I could manage, stay sane, if my job guaranteed me that every single customer I had, would die in my care. It takes a very special kind of mentality to handle that grave responsibliity, to overcome that mindset. I mean, it'd be one thing I suppose, if I was a nurse, and sometimes, had to accept that some of my patients would not live. But a hospice worker's job guarantees that NONE of their patients will live, because they come to the hospice worker at the end of their lives.

The last stop before the funeral home. I couldn't be a funeral home employee either, for the same reason. I don't have the fortitude to handle it
The difference with hospice and regular nursing is, I guess, a decreased shock factor. When you're taking care of someone who is merely ill, it can be horrible when they take a turn for the worse....unseen issues arise, with no explanation, especially if they die from these issues. It can be so awful for everyone. If someone is on hospice, there is an acceptance, you're not having to run tests and badger them horribly...no desperately searching for a diagnosis and trying new meds, etc. The whole goal is to keep them as comfortable and happy as possible.

Hospice patients are generally surrounded by loving family and you never expect any outcome other than for them to pass away, hopefully, without having to suffer terribly. You pretty much allowed to give them as much pain medicine as THEY feel they need and that is an absolute blessing. A regular patient may have to suffer for hours at a time and for days at a time, before a doctor will change or increase a pain med. Also, with true hospice care, it is less possible for insane/selfish family members to withhold pain medicine from the patient. The things some family members will intentionally put your patients through, would make you throw up. You can't believe it.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmaryb View Post
6. If you took the time to read what I wrote. My father's Oncologist said he didn't know my father went to Hospice. He said he didn't send him. That's the point.
No offense Mary; but it was very hard to read because you didn't space paragraphs. I had to highlight everything as I read so that I didn't lose my place. Normally I copy & paste into an email then space it myself so I could read, but didn't.

Quote:
8. My father is home with my mother and has no pain it's been 8 months, As soon as they did the radiation his pain was gone. He still is in active chemo.

My father's doctor never sent him to Moderator cut: not allowed do you understand. My father was in active chemo treatments.
My dad was also on active chemo but on home hospice. What type of chemo? Is it pills or IV?

Quote:
I told the Hospice doctors my father’s cancer is in his bones and not in any major organs. My fathers heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, lymph notes were all normal. I am sending the summary from Radiation Oncology. The only pain he has ever had was in his lower back. I told the nurse we saw Dr.**** a few weeks ago. Dr **** set a radiation appointment up for the same day as the Moderator cut: not allowed admission. **** told us ( Moderator cut: not allowed CAN Nurse) that Dr.**** said” To for do pain management first, then do the radiation.”

5. We are not in Denial, my father has had a complete head to toe bone scan,cat scan,Pet scan,MRI. He has no cancer in his liver,heart,kidneys, no swollen lymph notes any soft tissues lungs are clear. All his blood counts are in the normal ranges.
What cancer does your dad have?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-01-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 AM

Btw the way; I really don't have much opinion until I know the actual diagnosis. Is it bone cancer or a Leukemia?

You mention that it's in his lower back though I couldn't find it again; must be in your 1st post. I don't know much about bone cancer so I looked it up-

Bone cancer on NCI - Malignant tumors that begin in bone tissue are called primary bone cancer. Cancer that metastasizes (spreads) to the bones from other parts of the body, such as the breast, lung, or prostate, is called metastatic cancer, and is named for the organ or tissue in which it began. Primary bone cancer is far less common than cancer that spreads to the bones.

Anyway; I'm not sure what I would do especially not knowing his actual diagnosis. If he has what I think he has; you don't want to do anything to risk if you do need hospice at a later date. You may find that you can't admit him any where.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times
I've never heard of gong to Moderator cut: not allowed for pain management, like other have said it is for patients with 6 months or less to live, diagnosed by their Doctor.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-01-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I've never heard of gong to Moderator cut: not allowed for pain management, like other have said it is for patients with 6 months or less to live, diagnosed by their Doctor.
It is quite common tas, but yes, a terminal diagnosis is needed. Pain management through hospice is far more aggressive (generally). Under general care, a patient may have to suffer needlessly, due to time and dose regulations. For terminal patients who are in extreme pain, dosages may be greatly increased and time between doses greatly decreased. In a terminal patient, addiction is not an issue. Also, the route of administration is generally IV, injectible, or liquid sublingual, for rapid relief.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-01-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Hospice Almost Killed My Father Who Was Not Terminal!
Posted Today at 06:38 PM by ctmaryb
Updated Today at 07:05 PM by ctmaryb (Forgot to block the name of Dr's and Nurses)
Hi Mary, I hope you come back to let us know what his diagnosis is.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 AM

15 posts, read 50,999 times
Anyone who is terminal and is in terrible pain should be allowed as much pain medication as they want. If they have stopped treatment and just wanted comfort care. This was not the case with my father.
He was still in active Chemo treatment. Like I said he drove to Moderator cut: not allowed the day of the admission and walked in. He was only there for pain management NEVER end of life care.
My father had Prostate cancer that went into his lower back. The doctor said the medication is working he has had 2 pet scan to keep on top of it. As the radiologist told us right before the Moderator cut: not allowed admission it would take care of the pain and it has. He now takes NO PAIN MEDICATION.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-01-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 AM

I find it amazing that people say it's difficult to get in Moderator cut: not allowed . In Connecticut I have never heard of anyone being denied or having trouble getting admitted.
It has been almost 9 months since my father got out of Moderator cut: not allowed . He still sometimes drives the car, he still getting Chemo and his Oncologist said his blood work is great.
Moderator cut: not allowed made a huge mistake they told us he would have died in May 2010, they said we were in denial . How do they explain that?
Moderator cut: not allowed already admitted their mistake. The case is not where the cancer is or what kind of Cancer he has. It shouldn't matter. It's that Moderator cut: not allowed admitted someone that was not terminal! That had no certification letter of terminal illness. That Moderator cut: not allowed admitted him and fraudently signed him as terminal. Moderator cut: not allowed NEVER contacted his attending Physician. Had him sign a DNR, then social worker writes patient does not fully understand what DNR means. My father in about 10 days went from Driving and walking into Moderator cut: not allowed to unresponsive from Morphine, Trazadone, Haldo, Thorazine. He was carried out on a stretcher,non ambulatory,Diapered to a regular Hospital.
Maybe someone should call the Moderator cut: not allowed . Ask for Pat and ask her about Sam being admitted by mistake in May 2010. Ask her about the Internal Investigation.
I know this story is scary and yes it happened. Like I said before I have been to Moderator cut: not allowed with 3 other family members. That have all passed at Moderator cut: not allowed and were at the end of life.
Why do you think my father is a live almost 9 months later living home with my mother? If you saw my father walking with his cane today. You would not think he had anything wrong with him. This is why I'm telling this story because it did happened. It happened at the first Moderator cut: not allowed . Moderator cut: not allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-01-2011 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
No offense Mary; but it was very hard to read because you didn't space paragraphs. I had to highlight everything as I read so that I didn't lose my place. Normally I copy & paste into an email then space it myself so I could read, but didn't.

My dad was also on active chemo but on home hospice. What type of chemo? Is it pills or IV?

What cancer does your dad have?
Sorry it is very hard to read. I was over the maximum of words I could post.This was the only way I could post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving