Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosyourdolly View Post
I know lots of things were wrong...but he is dead so what is the point? I'm having a hard enough time dealing with the loss without having to fight with a medical conglomerate. It's definitely not about money for me. Its about my dad being gone for no good reason because somebody decided it was time for him to die. I know they will continue to do the same thing to others in that hospital but somebody else will have to stop them...Im too overwhelmed and too tired just trying to keep my disabled sons alive.
Im sorry but you did post on here and im sorry if you dont want others people's opinions but this is a forum and that is the point of a forum .

Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 AM

8 posts, read 16,726 times
I didnt mean I don't want your opinion...just explaining mine..I posted on here because I think it's important for people to know this happens far more often than most people think. That's all. I was not angry with you at all. Just telling you why I can't keep checking into this anymore.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
This thread is being re-opened but it will be closed permanently if posters start insulting each other.

No snide, snarky, sarcastic comments are allowed on City-Data. This forum is strictly run for advice and info and you must stick to the topic of the OP.

One big problem is that the OP referred to a specific facility. All the others referred to hospice care, with a small h. Normally we do not allow businesses to be identified for liability issues but I missed it, not knowing of this specific facility. That has been fixed. You cannot name facilities or doctors or hospitals.

As info, hospice care can be provided in hospitals, nursing homes, or private residences. It is different from palliative care.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 PM

8 posts, read 16,726 times
Default helping dad breathe

I gave my father Smart Water (electrolytes), Robitussin DM and Xopenex and the congestion cleared up sufficiently to allow him to breath normally again. I also had to raise the angle of the bed. But neither Lasix nor any other diuretic was prescribed as a treatment to flush the body of excess fluid.[/quote]

Good steps ...angle of the bed is so very important and so often patients are overloaded with fluids.
Do you know how to give chest PT's? They help alot and are easy to learn how to do with no side effects at all.
Can you get a nebulizer from Home Health through his Medicare? We use one on our son when he is especially congested.
It is also simple to learn to use and is very effective.
I applaud you for not just listening to the nurse's gloom and doom....
Too many medical professionals are quick to write off anyone over a certain age regardless of what is or is not really an issue for them.
Also always make sure he eats sitting upright, slowly, and with concentration to avoid aspiration of food or liquids.
Good luck.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:32 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I paid $18 per Prothrombosis draw which was twice a month for a heart patient over 60- because it is the Cardiac standard. . I was able to it through the hospital home nurses as the doctor ordered it.

Hospice was out of the question because the nearest is an hour or more from where I live in rural America. None could meet our needs fully so I built a house unit with the help of a medical home equipment company and the cooperation with the doctor. The nurse that drew the blood also checked my heart-double-lung-Alzheimer-spouse for potential problems. And never charged me an extra penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
??

(For my mother, I have to PAY out of pocket for nurses to come to our house to do her protime, etc. but it beats taking a day off work and the stress on her of a doctor trip. She is not on hospice care though, but she does have a DNR...stroke survivor)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving