Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 04:04 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times

Advertisements

Wife's caregiver said that when she worked in a nursing home, patients with urinary incontinence were dressed in a garment that tied in the back like a regular hospital gown, but came down only to the hips rather than calves. Couldn't find anything of the kind via search engine. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 04:28 PM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
could you just cut off and hem a regular one?

just a thought.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:56 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Wife's caregiver said that when she worked in a nursing home, patients with urinary incontinence were dressed in a garment that tied in the back like a regular hospital gown, but came down only to the hips rather than calves. Couldn't find anything of the kind via search engine. Please help.
I've worked in nursing homes for close to 2 decades and have never seen or heard of such a thing. Residents get regular hospital gowns to sleep in if they don't have their own clothes, or a nightgown/pj's if they do have their own. In the daytime, everyone who gets out of bed is dressed in clothes, incontinent or not. Probably 80% of people in nursing homes are incontinent at least at times.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:31 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,349 times
If you search for adaptive clothing, you can find some open at the back tops.. many nicer looking that hospital gowns as well. They're often called wheelchair clothing, because opening at the back makes it easier to change in a chair.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:43 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
Cal, my dtr-in-law is a P.T. in a LTCF. She has never seen or heard of such a garment.

As someone else suggested, a regular hospital-type gown cut to length and hemmed. Or a hip-length tee shirt, slit up the back and add a tie at the back of the neck.

You're one of the good guys. I hope you manage a bit of time for yourself now and then.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
I always used the regular ones and just made sure the back was split so the patient sat directly on the pad in their chair. I don't really see any advantage to shorter ones with the split. But if you need them, get some regular ones and cut them off.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:32 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Cal, my dtr-in-law is a P.T. in a LTCF. She has never seen or heard of such a garment.

As someone else suggested, a regular hospital-type gown cut to length and hemmed. Or a hip-length tee shirt, slit up the back and add a tie at the back of the neck.

You're one of the good guys. I hope you manage a bit of time for yourself now and then.
Several of you have suggested cutting off the regular gowns; so that's the plan. The caregiver has offered to do the tailoring. Thanks to all.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:46 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,015,992 times
Just a thought...
If your wife is thin, you may want to consider purchasing a pediatric sized gown (if possible). The larger the gown and the smaller the woman, the more likely the excess material will get stuck between her and the mattress. Obviously, this makes it more difficult to change position, bathe, etc. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving