Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,793 times

Advertisements

There doesn't seem to be a 'Boomer' forum, so hope it's alright that I'm posting here.

I'm about to hire a nurse's aide to help with the care of my mother, and I want to pay her above the table. So I'm trying to find the best way to handle her paycheck/taxes. So far, I've found that I can use an accountant, a pay service, or pay software. If anyone has had experience in this situation, would you tell me which option you chose or recommend?

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 05:58 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
First, find out if she considers herself as "self employed" in which case, she would take care of all the taxes herself.

If you handle the tax withholding and Social Security deductions, you will need a Tax ID number. To make sure that you get everything done just right, check with an accountant. He/she may be able to reccomend software that will keep everything properly for you.

If you hire an aide through an agency, they may be set up to do the payroll for you. That would be the easiest way. You pay the agency, they take care of everything else.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:42 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
We are facing the same delima and appreciate the helpful answers. We are thinking of going through an agency because they will do background checks on the help. This is very important to us. Does anyone know if Medicare picks up any of the tab?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:26 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
I used a nursing service so there was a procedure in place, and frankly the small premium in cost was clearly worth it in finding a nurse and having a backup when they are not available. But in the end we could not make it work and my dad when to a nursing home that really provided better care.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:02 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
"I'm about to hire a nurse's aide to help with the care of my mother, and I want to pay her above the table. So I'm trying to find the best way to handle her paycheck/taxes."

Hello - A Boomer here. Just wanted to comment on payment. If you or mom have any property/net worth, be careful hiring someone both above the table and under the table. If they are not working for an agency, it can get complicated. The danger is on-the-job injuries for the caretaker. If they are working for an agency, be sure their Workman's Comp policy is currently paid-up and keep checking. And there is always the danger you have hired someone in arrears on bills such as a credit card, medical support for their children, or child support. Life can can very complicated, very fast. I know this is an old post, but it is a valid topic; so lets bump it up on the forum again. By the way, Merry Christmas everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving