Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 05:41 AM

92 posts, read 101,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Hoarding is not the same as defecating on floors -- or like I saw on a TV show -- having one's own feces in plastic bags piled floor to ceiling in a room. Or letting your pets poop on your floor. Or letting your pets physically destroy your home, buy eating drywall.
If you're replying in response to my post, my grandma did have text book hoarding according to the Mayo clinic, which I trust: Hoarding disorder Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

The fact that she missed the bathroom a couple of times and it wasn't perfectly cleaned over the years is irrelevant, because she wasn't able to get out of (climb over) the clutter in time doesn't equate to going around and just sh*tting on her house. I can say as a young woman, I've had accidents (thankfully only urine), like holding it all day and not making it to the bathroom in time or going out with friends drinking too much and missing the bathroom.

There is a spectrum of hoarders, yes the neat ones and not so neat are included in that spectrum. It doesn't mean anyone's hoarding is less valid or should be disregarded as a different disorder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:55 AM

92 posts, read 101,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I just don't think it's fair to paint people with an unfair brush.
I hope my post wasn't one misconstrued as generalizing all hoarders.

I've known more hoarders. I'll give you a less extreme example, as to not offend those here who don't want the extreme one to be associated with hoarding.

I have another family member who hoards books and magazines like my grandma. This family members hoarding is much more neat, not all thrown together, but organized. Still, it is out of control to the point that she can't use her garage or basement because they are packed with the stuff, packed much more neatly, but the argument isn't over hoarders being neat or not, just hoarding.

Another example was of a friend. Her family was super rich and lived in an amazingly huge home. Every corner of the house was stuffed with boxes, boxes that could be walked around, but nonetheless boxes filled with stuff that they collected. They were neat about it, hoarders.

I have other less extreme examples, but my grandma has had the biggest impact on me, which is why I shared that personal experience, with her messy hoarding, much different than people who hoard trash or dead animals, mind you.

Anyway, there are a couple neat examples for you, not to paint all hoarders with the neat brush, just as not to paint them all with the messy brush.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
International OCD Foundation (IOCDF) - Hoarding Center

Here is a link that explains what might be causes of hoarding. There do seem to be abnormalities in the brain, or in the functioning of the brain, among people who hoard. To me, this seems like a disorder. I have no idea if the abnormalities are hereditary, but the sufferers seem to have impaired function in some ways.

I was surprised to read that hoarding begins young, although generally gets worse as the sufferers age.

From my experience with my own mother, I'd have to say she was not a hoarder, but perhaps so impaired in her old age, she could not function well enough to dispose of clutter. She was never a fabulous or dedicated housekeeper to begin with, so perhaps corralling clutter simply became too much for her. I suppose there are many older adults who fall into this category. So, perhaps some of the elderly are not hoarders, but simply impaired.

I am just guessing here though.

I know this sort of behavior drives relatives nuts. But, it seems to me that many of these people deserve our sympathy. At least some of them have a disorder that prevents them from doing rational coping.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:31 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I posted a few months ago about my mother's neighbor, an 80+ year old woman who is terribly neglected and living in a home with hoarders.

Update: A few weeks ago the woman went on vacation to florida with her daughter and the daughter's partner. She was trying to roll her wheelchair down a slope by controlling it with her feet, flipped over backwards and hit her head. They put her on a plane, flew her home, and THEN took her to the emergency room.

While they were out of town, another daughter came over to house clean. She was appalled at the condition of the home. Called my mom and asked her to call the county to report a CODE violation. Repeat: the Daughter knows there is a problem but asked a neighbor to step in. I looked it up online and found that you can submit a complaint via an online form. So I did that. Still waiting to hear.

The thing that gets me is: a social worker came to the home, yet didn't report this code violation herself. wth? And an 80+ year old woman with a head injury gets sent home with a bandaid? The custodial daughter claims that they can't afford a nursing home...but the woman at worst needs assisted living, and she has a Federal govt pension, and also gets what remains of her husband's federal govt pension. AND they are living in the woman's home, which is worth AT LEAST $500K.

So if you have a hoarder in your life, find out from the county code enforcement office what the laws are Re: hoarding.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:43 AM

53 posts, read 66,334 times
Default my dad hordes food

he is 71 and goes to 5 or 6 different churches every week and gets food. he lies and tells them there are 3 in the family when it is just him. We get on him about the lieing to the churches and esp because he goes to his church on sunday and they dont give out food. but he has his side by side in the house and 2 fridges and 3 chest freezers slap full of food. ALL meat. He likes to eat those meals on wheels tv dinners from the senior center so the food just stacks up. he had to go buy a new chest freezer the other day because one went out and he has it filled. he says we might have a bad storm or anything bad happen and he will ne.ed that food. i bet he owns 10,000 can goods. he just will not listen. he gets so much he gives some away to family but tosses alot to like fruits and veggies that go bad. there are to many poor people who need the food and he has going on 60k in savings and gets 2500 a mo ss. he does not need this food. he is steadly losing weight as well. erks the living day lights out of me. his dr said she thinkis he has starting of dementia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving