Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times

Advertisements

I have recently started being a beginning caregiver (ie. he can still be alone during the day) to a close relative with brain damage/progressive memory loss. I need to drive him to all of his doctor's appointments and to see the doctors with him (as he frequently gets confused). Why do the doctors all seem to have hours like 9AM to 3PM? Wouldn't it be wonderful if they had at least one or two evenings a week or one Saturday a month where they see patients?

I know that some doctors, especially doctors that see children, are starting to have more late afternoon and evening times but I think that more doctors should start that as well.

I have the type of job where I need to take off a full day (and do not get paid sick days) if I need to go to an appointment. Sometimes, I have to decide does he really need to see the doctor or should I work that day so we will be able to pay the electric bill or buy medicine? It can be a tough choice.

I just hate calling the doctor to make an appointment and the receptionist says "Which is better, the 18th at 1:30 PM or the 24th at 11:15?" when the answer is neither time. Do they expect everyone to be retired or to have flexible work schedules?

Arrggg! Thanks for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Generally people hold family to a higher value than work. A doctor would have to regularly take time away from his/her family in order to see patients in the evening or on weekends. So between taking someone away from their family and taking someone away from their job, it makes sense that the doctor not hold evening and weekend hours.

I understand that it sucks sometimes.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Generally people hold family to a higher value than work. A doctor would have to regularly take time away from his/her family in order to see patients in the evening or on weekends. So between taking someone away from their family and taking someone away from their job, it makes sense that the doctor not hold evening and weekend hours.

I understand that it sucks sometimes.
The doctor may be in the hospital or a nursing home seeing patients during the later afternoon. If he is a surgeon, he may be operating.

Few docs work only from 9 AM to 3 PM.

They would also have to pay staff and other operating expenses for those extended hours.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times
If the medical admissions process was opened up and we doubled the number of available doctors, and they actually had to compete for business --- there would be weekend and evening hours.

Otherwise I don't see doctors doing something that might inconvenience them, just for the benefit of their patients. I don't think very many doctors care about patients --- the majority chose that profession for the money and security. If they actually cared about patients you would see a lot more doctors offering sliding fees for patients with no health insurance, or holding free clinics. Some doctors do that, but very few.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If the medical admissions process was opened up and we doubled the number of available doctors, and they actually had to compete for business --- there would be weekend and evening hours.

Otherwise I don't see doctors doing something that might inconvenience them, just for the benefit of their patients. I don't think very many doctors care about patients --- the majority chose that profession for the money and security. If they actually cared about patients you would see a lot more doctors offering sliding fees for patients with no health insurance, or holding free clinics. Some doctors do that, but very few.
YES! On all counts! I've never been able to find a doctor that provides treatment! All they do is say, "you're fine", "there's nothing wrong", "it's all in your head". Here in the SW they're more honest, they say, "I don't know how to fix that" (no matter what condition you present), and "we don't do that kind of work" (really?? Endocrinologists don't do endocrinology? Except for thyroid and diabetes, I'm told. That's all they do. They don't know how to treat any other endocrine issues). So they get paid by insurance for a 'consult" in which they basically turn the client away, and I have to try to figure out how to treat myself, by doing internet research, or just let the problem fester for years, or pay $400/hr. for a doc who doesn't accept insurance, but is really on the ball. I'm told this will only get worse when a system of universal insurance is in place. I don't know why. But one doc told me the medical education in the US is rigged. Pharma calls the shots, so doctors don't learn how to get to the root of health problems and resolve them, they only learn how to mask the symptoms with pharma.

It's a scary system, very dysfunctional.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
That's why Doctor's spend so much more money getting their degree, for these type privileges. Also, most Doctor's perform there hospital calls in the evening. Emergency's at hospitals' overnight, etc.
Are you the only person who can provide care giving to this relative?? If you are working full time days...Aren't you the one that should do the overnights, and someone else do days?? Are there services available to transport your relative in day times...perhaps check w/ your local social service agencies.

Last edited by JanND; 10-08-2012 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: text

Old 10-08-2012, 08:43 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Most docs around here offer evening and weekend hours.
Maybe its your area?
How about trying a doctor that is open on weekends,but is 2 hours away?
Sure,you may have to drive 2 hrs,but you won't have to take off work.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,772 times
I'm a doctor of internal medicine. Office hours are part of the day.

06am, up
07am, at the hospital to to confer with overnight doctor and see inpatients
09am, at office to do paperwork, phone calls, deal with doctor buisness
10am, see patients
01pm, lunch at desk, phone calls, paperwork
02pm, see patients
04pm, deal with medical issues
06pm, back to hospital to confer incoming with overnight doctor and see inpatients
07pm, get home
In bed at 10:30pm

On Fridays I don't see patients after 02pm. One night a week, I am the overnight doctor (24 hours straight day).

Old 10-08-2012, 09:02 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
I'm a doctor of internal medicine. Office hours are part of the day.

06am, up
07am, at the hospital to to confer with overnight doctor and see inpatients
09am, at office to do paperwork, phone calls, deal with doctor buisness
10am, see patients
01pm, lunch at desk, phone calls, paperwork
02pm, see patients
04pm, deal with medical issues
06pm, back to hospital to confer incoming with overnight doctor and see inpatients
07pm, get home
In bed at 10:30pm

On Fridays I don't see patients after 02pm. One night a week, I am the overnight doctor (24 hours straight day).

Your hours sound like my Internal Medicine Doctor and I absolutely adore him. He is treating me for PBC and knew when he walked in the exam room exactly what was going on with me. Thank you for doing what you do, I certainly appreciate it very much even though you are not my Doctor.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,335 times
Can you find another doctor with better hours? I've started seeing an internal medicine doctor whose office hours are from 1pm to 7pm and he is open for a few hours every weekend too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving