Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is one of the things I like about the northeast,esp Nj. I'm an Rn who works private duty,not independently,but with agencies.
It seems medical care is more generous here than anywhere else.

If I'm not mistaken,and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the states get block grants from Medicaid?
If so,isn't it up to the states to see how the money is spent?

I would suggest that the tax base is larger in the densely populated northeast, making more funding available, too.

I am familiar with a couple states and Medicaid money. Those receive block grants, with heavy, stringent regulation on how those funds can be administered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Not to make this political, but with Medicare cuts specific to home health as part of the 500 million dollar cut in Medicare to help pay for Obamacare coupled with many states placing their Medicaid patients onto for profit companies' managed Medicaid plans, yes home health as a whole is being pushed out.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:01 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Home health care is still cheaper than nursing homes so I don't see why they are pushing away from it. I know budget cuts but now those having help at home will go into nursing homes since they can't do it all alone?

Old 07-20-2013, 01:00 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
My state has a program where if someone doesn't want to go into a nursing home they can use the funds to secure a voucher for home health care.
I think this is reserved for complicated,medically fragile patients,but I could be wrong.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:01 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I would suggest that the tax base is larger in the densely populated northeast, making more funding available, too.

I am familiar with a couple states and Medicaid money. Those receive block grants, with heavy, stringent regulation on how those funds can be administered.
So the state has more of a say in how those funds are spent vs the feds?

Old 07-20-2013, 06:59 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Quote:
So the state has more of a say in how those funds are spent vs the feds?

In theory the states do.

In practice, the states do only as long as they do it the way the Feds dictate.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
My state has a program where if someone doesn't want to go into a nursing home they can use the funds to secure a voucher for home health care.
I think this is reserved for complicated,medically fragile patients,but I could be wrong.
I never understood this, either. Medicaid will pay $300 a day for someone to be in a nursing home, but not $50 a day for home health. Same thing with other programs they cut and want to cut more- get rid of meals on wheels, transportation programs, and other programs that allow older people to remain at home to save money, but it results in people going to nursing homes sooner, which costs more money.

I actually don't think home health is being pushed out, I think it's going to be the wave of the future. Cuts in Medicaid and Medicare are across the board, not just in home health. I am in LTC now, but if I leave this job I will go to home health as I believe that is where the future jobs are going to be.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I am in LTC now, but if I leave this job I will go to home health as I believe that is where the future jobs are going to be.
Sad part is right now most home helpers only make minimum wage or slightly higher unless you are a LPN or RN. Home makers that clean house, cook meals and home attendant care givers that run errands, go with clients to doctor's appt., shopping don't even make a sustainable living wage. That is a shame because there are some really good caregivers then others that are just in it to cheat on hours.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Sad part is right now most home helpers only make minimum wage or slightly higher unless you are a LPN or RN. Home makers that clean house, cook meals and home attendant care givers that run errands, go with clients to doctor's appt., shopping don't even make a sustainable living wage. That is a shame because there are some really good caregivers then others that are just in it to cheat on hours.
Well, I'm a therapist, so right now I'm okay - at least until the politicians start dismantling Medicare, then we're all going to be in trouble.

I too think care workers are grossly underpaid. I believe jobs that are primarily seen as "women's" jobs are almost always undervalued and underpaid in this country.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well, I'm a therapist, so right now I'm okay - at least until the politicians start dismantling Medicare, then we're all going to be in trouble.
We're all in trouble now with our debt anyway they can't fix so now they want to start messing with healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving