Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm just saying, they are staffed by humans, and humans make mistakes. We've left our own cleaner in the gym out accidentally, it by itself does not mean it's a poorly run facility.

Yes, humans make mistakes. But when you choose to go into a field that is dealing with the very young or the very old and can mean life and death you need to be on the ball.

There is a difference when someone working in say a bank makes an error that can be easily corrected, and someone being careless in a daycare or an AL.

I almost laughed when I saw the response the OP got, very rarely does anyone who works in these places admit fault or take ownership of a problem. Maybe they're afraid of getting sued, but the response the OP got is typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 04:24 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
If you have a loved one in a ALF - you need to be just as aware of these kinds of things as the professionals are.

My Mom was in a wonderful facility. Not only were they proactive, they listened to residents and their families. It is not a perfectly safety world, safety is EVERYONE's responsibility.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I watched the program: corporate greed dealing in human cattle.

Okay, that is harsh, especially if you never experienced a not so good facility. I would pop in to see what my aunt was having for dinner - couldn't even identify the slop on their plates. My aunt would climb out her window and they never noticed. English - fat chance. One winter the furnace wasn't working so I had to call the county to get them to force the repairs. Since my aunt's son was the decision maker and he hated her, my hands were tied most of the time which only contributed to my frustration.

If we don't like AL as they are today, we need to demand change and accountabilty.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
They call them "assisted living" - we used to call them nursing homes and they are mostly all horrible - I know - I cared for my Mom myself but when she had to go in one after surgery - they were all horrible. Try to be there for your parents - if you can try not to put them in one of those horrible places.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:03 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
They call them "assisted living" - we used to call them nursing homes and they are mostly all horrible - I know - I cared for my Mom myself but when she had to go in one after surgery - they were all horrible. Try to be there for your parents - if you can try not to put them in one of those horrible places.
You obviously don't 'know'.
First of all, what you "used to call" nursing homes may still be nursing homes but assisted living facilities are a different type of place providing a different level of services.
What you've said is very unfair. Perhaps the ones in your area that you interviewed were bad but you certainly haven't been in all of them.
I am familiar with some that are pretty wonderful as well as some that would fit your description.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I was under the impression you were looking for a place. I think that 90% number is too high, ours is not nearly that high. I too think it is going to get worse. IMO there needs to be more focus on being able to keep people at home, but there isn't, unfortunately. Medicaid will pay for long term placement but not help at home, which is stupid, IMO.

Actually, medicaid was supposed to start offering many more "age in place" services -- this was at least a few years ago.

Because people (even old poor people) should have a choice on where they can be and should not be forced into prison-like institutions.

I haven't explored it further, because my dad is't medicaid, and my mother was still medicare when she passed.

-- quick survey of medicaid.gov gives some information on HCBS (home and community based service) and also on the "real choice system" - which is striving to shift the balance from care primarily obtained in institutions to care obtained in home, or at least in the community.

So - for anyone who is medicaid (or who's loved one is) I would explore the options thoroughly, there may be more home-based options than you're aware of.

(this is especially true no doubt if in a larger metropolitan area where economies of scale can be leveraged)

Old 08-01-2013, 05:04 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
Someone upthread wondered how it's going to be in 20 years when the bulk of us baby boomers are doddering around. I suspect (hell, I hope!) there's going to be more than a few pillows-over-faces, lovingly applied; a là Chief Broom/McMurphy.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:24 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I watched the program on the web: Life and Death in Assisted Living | FRONTLINE | PBS

I think most Sr citizen care in America is $$ robbery, and they charge too much. $3500 / month for AL is a lot. We take care of our dad with alzheimer's and prostrate cancer in a house in Quezon city where we pay two maids 400 pesos per day so we end up paying about $1250 a month for my dad's care there. Our place is way better than a $7500 / month American Nursing home.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
If she went to a place for rehab after a surgery, it WAS a nursing home, not assisted living. They are not all horrible, I have worked in both horrible ones and great ones, My Mom is in assisted living now, and it's a good place for her and we are both happy with it. It is hard for people from the outside to know which ones are good and which are not, though.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
[/u][/b]

Actually, medicaid was supposed to start offering many more "age in place" services -- this was at least a few years ago.

Because people (even old poor people) should have a choice on where they can be and should not be forced into prison-like institutions.

I haven't explored it further, because my dad is't medicaid, and my mother was still medicare when she passed.

-- quick survey of medicaid.gov gives some information on HCBS (home and community based service) and also on the "real choice system" - which is striving to shift the balance from care primarily obtained in institutions to care obtained in home, or at least in the community.

So - for anyone who is medicaid (or who's loved one is) I would explore the options thoroughly, there may be more home-based options than you're aware of.

(this is especially true no doubt if in a larger metropolitan area where economies of scale can be leveraged)
One of the problems is you have to be poverty-level poor. My Mom fell through the cracks when we applied in Philly for her to have home health assistance (I lived 2 hours away, in a 2nd floor one bedroom apt). Her income was too high to qualify, but too low to pay out of pocket. Transportation was an even bigger issue. I work full time so could not take her to her weekly wound center appointments, but the senior transportation system in her area was so overloaded, they'd leave her sitting there for hours after her appointments, she'd not have eaten since breakfast....the result of which she started cancelling her appointments rather than deal with it, which then resulted in her medical crisis that landed her in the hospital, then assisted living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving