Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 03:40 AM

576 posts, read 993,869 times

Advertisements

So, mil has decided, afterall, not to proceed with the foot surgery at this time. I think that's the best decision. From what I read about that type of procedure, the recuperation can be pretty painful. And the fact that not bearing any weight on that specific foot is rx'd, for a few days, .. and then she'd have to wear a boot on that foot for some time afterwards. This is a woman who can barely, as it is, put one foot in front of the other and make forward progress, (balance issues subsequent to a stroke several years ago). I just don't see how this can be outpatient, how it can be a situation that she is to go home, and ambulate to do things like going to the bathroom, brushing her teeth, etc. It would be impossible for her.

I shared this with her daughter, and some articles about it. Sounds like maybe her daughter persuaded her to not proceed at this time.

I think she is getting cortisone shots at the present time, to deal with the discomfort and knock back the inflammation and I guess she will do that, as her course of action for the immediate future, and see if she can't just live with it for a while longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 07:02 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
So, mil has decided, afterall, not to proceed with the foot surgery at this time. I think that's the best decision. From what I read about that type of procedure, the recuperation can be pretty painful. And the fact that not bearing any weight on that specific foot is rx'd, for a few days, .. and then she'd have to wear a boot on that foot for some time afterwards. This is a woman who can barely, as it is, put one foot in front of the other and make forward progress, (balance issues subsequent to a stroke several years ago). I just don't see how this can be outpatient, how it can be a situation that she is to go home, and ambulate to do things like going to the bathroom, brushing her teeth, etc. It would be impossible for her.

I shared this with her daughter, and some articles about it. Sounds like maybe her daughter persuaded her to not proceed at this time.

I think she is getting cortisone shots at the present time, to deal with the discomfort and knock back the inflammation and I guess she will do that, as her course of action for the immediate future, and see if she can't just live with it for a while longer.
Thank you for the update.

I'm relieved to hear that your MIL isn't going ahead with the foot surgery. I agree with you that it probably would have been an extremely hard recovery and may have even had unforeseen repercussions. It may have meant her being in a wheelchair for a while, which at that age sometimes leads to additional problems or even permanently using a wheelchair after not weight bearing and not using your feet & legs for a few weeks.

Good luck to you on the other issues as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving