Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 04:50 AM

208 posts, read 258,995 times

Advertisements

I'm a nurse. But let me get it on the record that no, it's not my job to micromanage YOUR noncompliant family members. I may be your friend, a friend of a friend, maybe your next door neighbor, acquaintance, or coworker, but I'm NOT your private duty nurse/health micromanager/health coach/Gestapo/heavy who's supposed to get with my megaphone every day and tell your obese or noncompliant family member not to eat the Cheese Doodles and get a flu shot!! I recently assisted a friend with a disabled family member a couple of times. I ran some errands for the disabled person. A few weeks down the road, another family member got in my face about how I should be "laying the law" down with this disabled person's family to make sure THEY know the person belongs in a nursing home! Are you kidding me? That's not my job! That's the family's business, not mine! The disabled person isn't my patient! And I'm not a doctor! I don't know if the disabled person should be living alone or in a nursing home!

The disabled person is obese and asked me to get Cheese Doodles and bacon from the store. Well, it's not my job to micromanage this person's diet. It's not my job to come down even on my own family members about their poor food choices, stupid medical treatment choices, overdoses on supplements, poor management of their children's diets, and other things. IT'S NOT MY JOB, FOLKS! If I'm working in the hospital as a nurse, then yes, I'm responsible for making sure that the doctor's orders are implemented and that may include discharge teaching about diet restrictions and activity levels. BUT I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TELLING YOUR NON COMPLIANT FAMILY MEMBER TO STOP EATING CHEESE DOODLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 05:11 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,418,952 times
Yeah, that sounds pretty ridiculous. Did you tell that to these people's faces, though?

Old 12-12-2014, 05:36 AM

Yes, I told the family member who was getting in my face about the nursing home that it's the family's business what they want to do and that it's not my business. IF the family asked my opinion, then yes, I would state my "opinion" but I would carefully phrase it that it's an opinion and not necessarily cut in stone! There are many underlying factors and dynamics in families and an outsider--although being a nurse--cannot simply make a sweeping statement about something unless all of the facts are known! For example, I can see observe this disabled family member but I only see what I can see on the surface. I am not privvy to their health history, the medications they are taking, their laboratory results, or what the doctors have stated.

I am just very getting very irritated about how lay people assume that because I'm a nurse, I'm obligated to step in and tell their noncompliant family members the difficult information that THEY don't want to say!

I took care of my own family member for many years and even then did not "tell" that person what to do! IMO, a grown adult can make their own health care decisions. You want to waste money buying supplements and eat Cheese Doodles, be my guest!

Old 12-12-2014, 05:42 AM

Let me add this. Once when I worked in the hospital, I had a patient who just had a heart attack and I had to give him discharge instructions. The DOCTOR writes these up, not me. It's not up to me to tell the patient that he cannot eat big fat juicy steaks! The doctor had "low fat" diet listed on the discharge instructions, so I commenced to tell the patient that the doctor wants him to eat low fat foods. I proceeded to give him a leaflet about low fat food choices. Well, after blah blah blah for what, 20 minutes, he says with a big fat smirk on his face--man just had a heart attack--"No way am I going to be told what to eat, I'm going to go home and eat a big fat juicy steak and have a couple of drinks!" I documented what he said but the bottom line is not how "heavy" the nurse is, but what the PATIENT needs to do!

Old 12-12-2014, 05:47 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,828,150 times
I agree but at the same time its you duty to act like a care-giving nurse without an attitude plus always smile !!!

Old 12-12-2014, 06:08 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,624,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
I'm a nurse. But let me get it on the record that no, it's not my job to micromanage YOUR noncompliant family members. I may be your friend, a friend of a friend, maybe your next door neighbor, acquaintance, or coworker, but I'm NOT your private duty nurse/health micromanager/health coach/Gestapo/heavy who's supposed to get with my megaphone every day and tell your obese or noncompliant family member not to eat the Cheese Doodles and get a flu shot!! I recently assisted a friend with a disabled family member a couple of times. I ran some errands for the disabled person. A few weeks down the road, another family member got in my face about how I should be "laying the law" down with this disabled person's family to make sure THEY know the person belongs in a nursing home! Are you kidding me? That's not my job! That's the family's business, not mine! The disabled person isn't my patient! And I'm not a doctor! I don't know if the disabled person should be living alone or in a nursing home!

The disabled person is obese and asked me to get Cheese Doodles and bacon from the store. Well, it's not my job to micromanage this person's diet. It's not my job to come down even on my own family members about their poor food choices, stupid medical treatment choices, overdoses on supplements, poor management of their children's diets, and other things. IT'S NOT MY JOB, FOLKS! If I'm working in the hospital as a nurse, then yes, I'm responsible for making sure that the doctor's orders are implemented and that may include discharge teaching about diet restrictions and activity levels. BUT I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TELLING YOUR NON COMPLIANT FAMILY MEMBER TO STOP EATING CHEESE DOODLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Nice rant!

I hope you got back in that family member's face and told them off.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:16 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,953,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post

I don't even understand your rant.

If you're a nurse and taking jobs that are NOT NURSING RELATED, that's YOUR choice.

As in "running errands". A COUPLE OF TIMES.

You said it yourself the person is "not your patient" so why the drama? Why are you even getting INTO these conversations if you're only being paid to run errands?

I also have to assume you never worked one on one with patients and family members for very long. What you describe is typical. I even know one guy who after gastric bypass surgery was given a tray of 15 pureed 2oz servings to CHOSE ONE for his first meal. The "nurse" left them sitting there and did something else and the guy ate ALL 15 of them. Burst his stitches and had to get rushed back to the OR.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 12-12-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 12-12-2014, 06:35 AM

3,659 posts, read 3,802,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I don't even understand your rant.

If you're a nurse and taking jobs that are NOT NURSING RELATED, that's YOUR choice.

As in "running errands". A COUPLE OF TIMES.

You said it yourself the person is "not your patient" so why the drama? Why are you even getting INTO these conversations if you're only being paid to run errands?
If one works in health care, people outside of the field often initiate the topics. Not even "often." I'll say "always!" Clinical staff, administrative staff, support staff all get approached.

It doesn't bother me. I understand some family and friends are genuinely concerned about, and frustrated with, the ill person. Some are, or seem, very controlling and whatever they want my help with is just something that isn't being done to their liking.

OP - Some of the ways I handle it, are to ask the person questions while offering no information (no way to break HIPAA laws). For most they leave at least feeling they've been heard. With some, I have to tell them what my boundaries are, whether they are legal, ethical, or social. And then there are some with whom I have to put on my serious face, and simply state "I am not going to do that." I never apologize. You're not going to please everyone.

I consider it an honor and privilege to be involved with patients and people in the community. I respect their choices.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:51 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,019,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
I agree but at the same time its you duty to act like a care-giving nurse without an attitude plus always smile !!!
As one who lives with a nurse, I cry BS to that statement! ANY Nurse has a "duty" ONLY to his/her assigned patients, and then ONLY for the 8 or 12 hours those patients are in his/her care.
Friends, casual acquaintances, and total strangers have NO RIGHT to expect a nurse to baby them or be sweetness and light at all times.
Especially after dealing with a patient that is so difficult that he is sequestered in a room by himself, on a wing by himself, with a nurse and an CNA assigned just to HIM, for 12 hours!
YOU probably do NOT want to ask THAT nurse or CNA for ANY medical advice or interventions!

Remember, he/she is a NURSE! He/she KNOWS how to use sharp instruments!

Old 12-12-2014, 07:21 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,664,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Says the person who has obviously never worked in the health care field
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving