Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 04:50 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well if you think listening to it from 3,500 miles away is so hard, try being the individual who is actually dealing with it in person.

So what if occasionally the cousin is a little dramatic, it's not their mother they're looking out for, it's your husband's mother they're looking out for.
Believe me, I am grateful that she is there looking out for her, really I do. But we just don't know to believe half the time.

I do thank her and am very grateful for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
My mother in law fell last week in the nursing home. The reason ; she dosnt always remember to go to the bathroom and refuses to wear depends, so she got up to rush to the bathroom, forgot to bring the walker and fell. She was alert and good even though she has dementia. The nursing home emailed us (they are in Ireland) and let us know what happened. They also called her cousin and the cousin demanded that they call a doctor ; doctors still do house calls in Ireland.

She did have a blood nose about 90 mins after the fall but she was fine. Alert, vitals were good and there was no injury. My husband has spoken to her several times since and also has spoken to the nursing home and everything seems fine.

I don't know if there was really need to call the doctor. The cousin we believe hates the nursing home (just in general hates nursing homes) and seems to be out to complain about every single thing. She questioned why she wasn't walking with the walker and how come nobody was watching her.

Just wondering if your nursing home always call the doctor when your loved ones fall.
Where I live nursing home would have called both ambulance service they use immediately and doctor they retain for just such situations .Personnel is not going to decide; even the RN on duty.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:46 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Where I live nursing home would have called both ambulance service they use immediately and doctor they retain for just such situations .Personnel is not going to decide; even the RN on duty.
This is completely false. The nurse in charge is authorized to make judgement calls in every state that I am aware of (and I worked in a nursing home in Houston, so I know Texas is no exception) they do not have to call an ambulance for every fall. That would be ridiculous. What purpose would it serve to send someone to the ER when they say nothing hurts and there are no obvious signs of injury?

Old 11-25-2014, 05:57 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times
Well the cousin also did say that to the nursing home that she would have preferred an ambulance to be called and spend 6-8 hours on a trolley in the hospital (er is horrendous at home). Now how on earth would a 85 year old dementia patient stay on a trolley in a hallway in the er for 6-8 hours to make sure she is ok, when in fact she was fine.

I actually agreed with the nursing home ; they took her vitals, explained what happened and it was a reasonable explanation, and understand that they just cannot call the doc for every single fall. MIL was fine.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:45 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,988,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
My mother in law fell last week in the nursing home. The reason ; she dosnt always remember to go to the bathroom and refuses to wear depends, so she got up to rush to the bathroom, forgot to bring the walker and fell. She was alert and good even though she has dementia. The nursing home emailed us (they are in Ireland) and let us know what happened. They also called her cousin and the cousin demanded that they call a doctor ; doctors still do house calls in Ireland.

She did have a blood nose about 90 mins after the fall but she was fine. Alert, vitals were good and there was no injury. My husband has spoken to her several times since and also has spoken to the nursing home and everything seems fine.

I don't know if there was really need to call the doctor. The cousin we believe hates the nursing home (just in general hates nursing homes) and seems to be out to complain about every single thing. She questioned why she wasn't walking with the walker and how come nobody was watching her.

Just wondering if your nursing home always call the doctor when your loved ones fall.
It is standard procedure at my hospital to notify an MD as well as family of a fall. Sounds like the facility is fine and your relative is an annoying individual, to put it mildly. Maybe the cousin could watch her all the time....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving