Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:35 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times

Advertisements

My mother recently had a mild stroke, and has given up her car keys. She lives alone, at least for another month, so I'd like to stock her freezer with meals that she can just heat up. She doesn't like the brands available in the grocery store, but I think she'll eat what I make for her.

So far, I've made two containers of chicken minestrone soup. She doesn't really like pasta, or ground beef, and I'm stumped as to what else to make. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:36 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,104 times
what did she eat when she could shop for herself?

Old 12-08-2014, 09:27 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
You might try a Boston Market or a meal preparation service/store. On the face of it, the servings seem to be too large for elderly clients.

Prepared Senior Meals, Home Delivered Meals for Seniors | DineWise[]=1#SR

I bought the meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn, and cinamon apples the other night. She went straight for the cinamon apples and finished them off before starting the meal where she barely touched the meatloaf, if at all.

Make something for your family and share some of it with your mom. For example, pot roast, mashed potatoes, and corn.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
what did she eat when she could shop for herself?
She ate out frequently for lunch, and would finish up her leftovers for dinner. Sometimes she would cook a lamb chop, but her appetite is small. Half a sandwich seems to satisfy her, but she won't be able to get the deli now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You might try a Boston Market or a meal preparation service/store. On the face of it, the servings seem to be too large for elderly clients.

Prepared Senior Meals, Home Delivered Meals for Seniors | DineWise[]=1#SR

I bought the meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn, and cinamon apples the other night. She went straight for the cinamon apples and finished them off before starting the meal where she barely touched the meatloaf, if at all.

Make something for your family and share some of it with your mom. For example, pot roast, mashed potatoes, and corn.
Thanks for the link. It's pricy for a regular diet, and the portions are large, but I can order a few meals to give her a change of pace. She lives 4 hours away from me. I go up as often as I can, but my goal is to make sure she has some balanced meals available in between.

I may try making some individual quiches if I can find the right size pie tins.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:22 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
Is there a grocery delivery service in the area?? (so she could get meat/bread delivered to make her own sandwich)?

Quich sound good. I suppose you could freeze cooked chicken and vegetables (or some other cooked meat) in individual portions (that one contraption that sucks all the air out and seals the food is always claiming that can be done) for later thawing/reheating

Old 12-08-2014, 11:31 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Meals on Wheels?

My mom doesn't eat much either.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:46 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,937,390 times
We set our parents up on Meals on Wheels a couple years ago when we didn't have caregivers every day. Not only was it helpful to have already prepared meals delivered they also delivered juice, milk, bread etc once/week. The other benefit for us was that someone else would be checking in on them routinely when one of us couldn't be there.

At first my Dad was reluctant but he actually looks forward to it now and both parents seem to like a lot of the meals provided. The cost is very low and for many low income seniors it is free (different locations may vary). Even if your Mom doesn't eat all of it at least she can pick and choose different things when you are not there.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:03 PM

We tried to interest her in Meals on Wheels. She and my father delivered them for years. I think she feels that she doesn't warrant them. She isn't low income, and she wasn't excited about the food she delivered.

She lives in the NC mountains, and despite being in a retirement mecca, it's pretty shocking how few services they have available. No grocery delivery or even van service. I looked at the menu items Ichoro posted, and then went to the store and bought some ingredients to replicate what I can. I even found individual quiche pans.

Thanks everybody.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:24 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Most folks don't realize that, while many Meals on Wheels are subsidized, the majority of my MOW clients paid for their meals. I tasted a few of them, if I had them leftover, and they are very good and balanced. Some clients receive frozen meals, as well as daily hot meals, to get them through the weekends. They can even chose their preferences to some extent.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:45 PM

348 posts, read 415,824 times
Protein and calorie requirements are quite low for older folks (and a lot lower than most Americans think).
You mentioned she liked eating out and having sandwiches. You might consider getting together some clean deli meats and cheeses and, instead of bread (which can spoil quite quickly), have a hearty box of crackers made with nuts and seeds. Personally, I'm gluten-free and have been using stuff like Mary's Gone Crackers for quite some time to have with my tuna salad.
Try putting together some meals that include frozen vegetables, too, like broccoli and spinach. They can be mixed with olive oil and garlic + salt and pepper for a very basic flavour profile that even sensitive systems can tolerate.
Both pot roast and pork carnitas (pork butt) can be made quite easily in a crock pot, if you have one, and can help keep costs low!
If she has a hard time keeping up her calories and needs extra carbs, you might also pick up those cups of microwavable brown rice. They are 1-2 servings (well, ok, 1 Typical American serving!) and you just pop them in the microwave and toss then on a plate, then throw your seasoned veggies and meats on top.

Most soups freeze quite well and can be made in bulk. Get those nice screw-top Ziploc containers to measure them out and make them easier to reheat. One of my favourite soups is very simple and healthy:
Kale
Onion or leeks
fresh Garlic
Fresh Sage
Broth (chicken or veg)
Sausage (Italian or similar flavour profile) - there are also very good meatless alternatives if she's watching dietary cholesterol (try Gimme Lean available in a chub pack at most grocery stores, next to the tofu and stuff).
Salt and pepper to taste
All ingredients are easily found fresh or frozen at most grocery stores, but my personal favourite is Trader Joe's because they have FROZEN kale and leeks already chopped and ready to go for cheap.

See about having a jar of nut butter on hand, too, for a quick protein snack.
Boil some eggs and pop those in the fridge for her.

Oh yeah, you might also check with her doc for any dietary or feeding restrictions. When my father had his stroke, he had trouble with swallowing due to partial paralysis of the esophagus.
It's very sweet of you to do this for her! Good luck.

-T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving