Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 02:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

Could you have problems as detailed below b/c of this?

- Change in sleeping patterns

- Appetite change

- More tired

- Disoriented; quieter (does not start conversation)

Person is now getting care and is hospitalized but already back to being stubborn and argumentative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 03:02 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

- Appetite change

- More tired

Person is now getting care and is hospitalized but already back to being stubborn and argumentative.
For a UTI? Yes. Goes hand in hand with dehydration. I am battling it with my mom.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
YES.

Anytime there is degradation of behavior in an elderly person, check them for a UTI.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:23 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

- Appetite change

- More tired

Could be and probably is a behavioral sign. Being tired in the morning from lack of sleep (bedwetting), loss of appetite or excessive thirst, and confusion.

The following sign is what the doctor has indicated to look for:

Frequent urination or bedwetting, especially in combination with being unable to produce a normal amount of urine in the morming first thing or in the evening before bedtime.

The following sign is what my mom usually indicates as having a UTI:

Pain or discomfort in lower extremities of abdomen.

And the following signs are what I've observed when temporary dementia from UTI was apparent:

Agitation (crying) or aggression (hitting therapists) when asked to do tasks.

Confusion and falls.

Lastly, if the urine is cloudy, it can be indicative of the presence of bacteria. It hasn't always worked for me, probably because it can be affected by the type of food and drink ingested before.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:01 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
YES.

Anytime there is degradation of behavior in an elderly person, check them for a UTI.
Yes, absolutely, there have been several threads here about this.
Speaking from personal experience, every degradation of behavior in my 91-yo MIL during her stay in an assisted living facilty has been due to an UTI. When we see a sudden or unexpected behavior or physical change, it's the first thing we ask them to check for. To date UTIs have turned out 100% to be the cause.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:42 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
keep my dad on proplylactic antibiotics to prevent UTI's - has not had one in over a year. But when he did have them, disorientation, weakness, loss of balance, you name it. No fun.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:29 AM

Tanya Roberts died from a urinary tract infection, her representative tells PEOPLE. She was 65.

Roberts was first erroneously reported dead on Monday morning before her publicist corrected the news. She later died Monday night.

"With a heavy heart I can confirm the death of Tanya Roberts last night on January 4, 2021 around 9:30pm PT at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA," said Mike Pingel in a statement.

Pingel went on to state that Roberts' cause of death "was from a urinary tract infection which spread to her kidney, gallbladder, liver and then blood stream."

https://people.com/movies/tanya-robe...act-infection/

Added here to emphasize risks of sepsis from urinary tract infection.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:35 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,624 times
One other thing to look for, I’ve mentioned before here, is low sodium. My mother had two severe episodes of this, where she suffered several things you mention, including disorientation, came on pretty suddenly. The hospital hooked her up a bag and infused her with sodium, and she was fine both times.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:23 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Yes indeed. UTI's are a HUGE problem in the elderly population.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
However, this is very rare in an otherwise healthy person, especially for a urinary tract infection to go undetected as it progresses, says David Kaufman, M.D., director of Central Park Urology, a division of Maiden Lane Medical. “Conceivably, you can have a urinary tract infection for a long time, not recognize it, and have it eventually spread to the kidneys,” he says. “But once it reaches the kidneys, you’ll be sick as a dog with fever and chills. People almost always catch it at that point.”
Prevention magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving