Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 07:50 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Wouldn't the fact that they own property be a disqualifier for low income housing assistance?

If the property is so far out, it's quite possible it's not worth much to begin with. I think applying for assistance is based on income and liquid assets, not property anyway. It's still worth looking into, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 11:38 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't give them the side-eye for not being surrounded by friends and family; lots of us aren't, and not through any fault of our own (although that's always the assumption). We're a mobile society with a lot of isolated people living essentially alone; I'd say that's more the rule than the exception these days. At any rate, you DO have to make accommodations for it if that's your situation... Maybe they had hoped they'd just die suddenly in their sleep, which is what most of us would like, but which seldom happens.

Brief comment.

Even fairly young people (early/mid 60s) have lost close friends to death.

As most of you know, I am in a difficult caregiving situation. I know that if Bill would still be alive (my husband's best friend from age 13) he would be a valuable asset but Bill died 10 years ago. I could picture him helping us often and in many ways.

Peggy, my best friend, from when we were teenagers, died several years ago. I am sure would help as much as she could, if she was still here. Ditto, with one of my bridesmaids and with my husband's roommate in law school.

But, they are all gone now.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:47 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
OMG seriously???? It is mindboggling that people seem to think it is so easy to just up and leave your home and move somewhere else even if it means someones health. The OP seems like they have very limited funds and unfortunately funds are necessary to carry a mortgage on one property and rent another. You make this sound so easy and I am sure if it was easy the OP wouldn't be on here asking for advice, she would have already moved.
Thank you, ajz, for your posts. You DO understand. Admittedly, had I never lived in NM, I would likely not understand what it can be like down here. And you are right, some folks *cannot* leave their homes for various reasons. My situation is complicated and I don't care to share why I cannot leave the house--it must be sold. Perhaps I should write a new post:"If you have been the sole caregiver for a terminally ill spouse or relative, how did you manage...."
After contacting doctors, med centers, various agencies, I still have found no one willing/able to come way out here to help me. At least I have my faith to carry me through no matter what.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I lived in Grants NM in the seventies, so I know exactly what she is up against.

If I were upwards in age, unable to care for my husband properly (or myself, for that matter), with no friends or family nearby, because I live too far away from any help, I would move heaven and earth to get my husband some help. I would apply for low-income assistance in the nearest town that is worth moving to, get my ducks in a row, and leave the house sitting where it is.

My love for my husband is much more important than possessions.

It is not a matter of possessions--some people are indeed unwilling to give up their homes and possessions, true, but doesn't apply to me. Also, if you have Social Security plus modest pension, one is not eligible for low-income assistance --certainly not from Medicare or Social Security. As for a reverse mortgage, I have researched that option. It's a scam; there are gotchas they don't tell you about and that's why they are heavily advertised.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:04 PM

[quote=seain dublin;43379132]OK, have you thought of contacting these surrounding ranch families to see if the want to expand their property? Any of have adult children that might want a place close to their family?

I would get the word out locally, even if they don't want your house, they may want the land.

I like your "thinking outside the box". Any more ideas? Maybe that's what's needed, a different approach. Your specific suggestion could work in some communities. Nobody around here is interested in our property, however, plus there is cheap land for sale all around us--lots of it. We moved here thinking it would grow but this ain't Arizona....should have moved there.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:33 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Thank you, ajz, for your posts. You DO understand. Admittedly, had I never lived in NM, I would likely not understand what it can be like down here. And you are right, some folks *cannot* leave their homes for various reasons. My situation is complicated and I don't care to share why I cannot leave the house--it must be sold. Perhaps I should write a new post:"If you have been the sole caregiver for a terminally ill spouse or relative, how did you manage...."
After contacting doctors, med centers, various agencies, I still have found no one willing/able to come way out here to help me. At least I have my faith to carry me through no matter what.

I am so sorry for your difficulties.

It would seem that government agencies would be required to provide services, even if the person lives in the middle of nowhere.

Have you tried writing a letter to your Congressman/Congresswoman, US Senators, Governor and state representatives?
What about contacting the TV station & newspaper in the nearest large city?
What about contacting the directors or hospital administrators in the nearest big city?

My father once contacted the president of a large international corporation about some very poor service that he received at the local level after buying some equipment. The regional manager was at my father's door, together with the very chastised local employees, the day after the corporation president received the letter. They fixed the problem and gave my father a substantial discount off of the price of the equipment. And, my dad was not some "big wig" but just a local farmer with an 8th grade education who was able to write a detailed and polite letter about the problem.

My mother, also with just an 8th grade education, once had a world renowned doctor contact her with information regarding his research into a specific illness after she contacted him via a letter about his research.

Does this work every time? No, it doesn't. But, if you do not try it will definitely not work.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am so sorry for your difficulties.

It would seem that government agencies would be required to provide services, even if the person lives in the middle of nowhere.

Have you tried writing a letter to your Congressman/Congresswoman, US Senators, Governor and state representatives?
What about contacting the TV station & newspaper in the nearest large city?
What about contacting the directors or hospital administrators in the nearest big city?

My father once contacted the president of a large international corporation about some very poor service that he received at the local level after buying some equipment. The regional manager was at my father's door, together with the very chastised local employees, the day after the corporation president received the letter. They fixed the problem and gave my father a substantial discount off of the price of the equipment. And, my dad was not some "big wig" but just a local farmer with an 8th grade education who was able to write a detailed and polite letter about the problem.

My mother, also with just an 8th grade education, once had a world renowned doctor contact her with information regarding his research into a specific illness after she contacted him via a letter about his research.

Does this work every time? No, it doesn't. But, if you do not try it will definitely not work.

Good luck.

Good post. Always nice to hear stories like that. Thanks for sharing. Had not thought to write to our State rep./congressman! Thanks!

Old 03-24-2016, 02:59 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
I'm not sure why having a pension and SS would disqualify you, until the amount is so great that you're considered able to afford your own care and accomodations, in which case -- CAN you afford to rent a small apartment in town? If so, I would do that. Just leave the house sitting empty for now, if you can't rent it out (have you tried to find a tenant or even looked into house-swapping)? I would also contact my state representative; they will be able to look into finding you services, wherever you are (unless you're on the moon). Good luck.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:18 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
NM is a medically underserved state and for those who have never lived there it can be hard to imagine what that means to the residents. Unless you are close to Las Cruces or Albuquerque, then you are going to have to drive to get quality health care and getting someone out to help someone in your situation is next to impossible. Just don't give up and hopefully you will find the answers that you need.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:23 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not sure why having a pension and SS would disqualify you, until the amount is so great that you're considered able to afford your own care and accomodations, in which case -- CAN you afford to rent a small apartment in town? If so, I would do that. Just leave the house sitting empty for now, if you can't rent it out (have you tried to find a tenant or even looked into house-swapping)? I would also contact my state representative; they will be able to look into finding you services, wherever you are (unless you're on the moon). Good luck.
I am not sure how familiar you are with ranching country out in NM but finding tenants or house swapping is next to impossible. We are talking about desolation in some of these places, where you drive 3 hours one way to get to medical care. The OP has said that selling, renting or just living their house sitting is not an option. BTW some areas in NM are kinda like being on the moon much like the Big Bend area of Texas, miles of driving and seeing no other signs of life except for a few animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving