Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 02:48 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
3 things control your blood pressure, diet, exercise and BP medicine.
I find that in my case, the room temperature, and how well I'm acclimated to that temperature, make a big difference. My blood pressure varies drastically. From normal to severe hypertension. And the room temperature seems to be the single biggest factor. In certain temperature ranges, my blood pressure is almost always normal. Also, when the room temperature made my blood pressure high, I tried hydrochlorothiazide, but it didn't seem to make any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 03:09 AM

4,934 posts, read 3,309,602 times
To OP as to the fluid intake small coffee cups small glasses and food plates the breakfast size plates for dinner.In the morning pu out a tray with all the glasses, small coffeecups,tea cups, needed lttle food dishes. That is how I do it. I am on 1500 ml (1.5 litre) fluid with a margin to 1800/2000 ml on a heatwave day. Things like yoghurt, soup,puddings, fluid foods counts toward the fluid intake.
Use a measuring cup to measure the drinking utensils to reach the......ml she is allowed. Having it in front of her so she can see what she gets in a day.
Like someone mentioned eat food with potassium, one things is like try to include a banana each day.
I walk in the house. For a short time my previous (now retired) cardiologist had me in an exercise program in the hospital. You might ask if that is a possibility for her.
I walk around the house and patio area. And I still do light housework to keep moving. I do stints of like 7 to 9 minutes sit down and continue. Try to get her to walk indoors. Small example I have houseplants and take a small jar for each plant so I have to walk to and from kitchen for each plant.
This might seem ridiculously little to a healthy person reading this but it adds up to mild movement. I also have osteoarthritis so moving helps some.
Try adding spices/herbs to replace the salt taste.
For the BP meds some people have difficulty finding the meds that work for them.
Try to reduce your own stress, stress is no good.
People with CHF tend to get constipated due to low fluid intake, because of lack of movement, heart working less etc so add some food items (plums, prunes etc ) to help with that.
Not everyone but a lot of CHF patients are just not compliant... think about being unable to eat just anything you used to like or drink a bottle of water without thinking...............all these things are over once you have severe CHF.

Last edited by Nerys52SoSilver; 08-21-2016 at 03:26 AM..

Old 08-21-2016, 08:25 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Get a blood pressure monitor. Some people are good at setting goals, setting menu plans, and sticking to it till the next doctor's appointment. It's probably not going to work for someone morbidly obese and never exercises unless they're extremely motivated by something like a first heart attack. Others need feedback so they can adjust what they're doing.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:57 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Get a blood pressure monitor. Some people are good at setting goals, setting menu plans, and sticking to it till the next doctor's appointment. It's probably not going to work for someone morbidly obese and never exercises unless they're extremely motivated by something like a first heart attack. Others need feedback so they can adjust what they're doing.
Sadly I am afraid that will be the only thing that opens her eyes.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:04 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Sadly I am afraid that will be the only thing that opens her eyes.
I feel for you. Your mother - at her height and weight - is morbidly obese. I have a housekeeper who is about like your mother. She has gained at least 100 pounds since I first hired her maybe 10 years ago. She can hardly do anything around my house these days that I can't do myself (and I'm a lot older). Her husband died recently - and I don't want to fire her now. But it will come sooner or later. Robyn

Old 08-25-2016, 03:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Her cardiologist is the one managing this and Weds upped one of her bp meds because her bp that day was 147/76 on 2 blood pressure meds and 2 diuretics. She also added in a statin because her cholestrol has been rising over the last 6 months or so. I was just curious if they would be able to achieve that blood pressure they were looking for with meds alone.
I just want to add that if my husband's blood pressure was consistently 147/76 we'd all be doing the happy dance.

I think sometimes these numbers are a bit subjective. I mean, ask her doctor of course, but my husband's doctor told him that some people seem to just "run hot" their entire lives and he's one of them (his BP even in his twenties and thirties was about 145/80).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving