Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 02:26 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,330,178 times

Advertisements

get one of those adult coloring books and colored pencils. They do a remarkable job of rerouting brain pathways and are so calming

Since I have been sketching and coloring the sketches I am dreaming and in color even. Amazing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 12:50 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,261,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lontimecaregiver View Post
Thanks for all the advice! I have been looking for resources all over and have found some promising results. I am just trying to get through things day to day. I am trying to get used to helping her with getting dressed and such. Any ideas there?
Call 211 and ask questions about any programs for which your wife may qualify. Here is an online link so that you can read about 211. It is a wonderful national program, volunteers are trained to provide resource information and the contact information for any issue. Good luck to you.
Call 2-1-1

Old 11-05-2016, 05:22 PM

674 posts, read 610,757 times
Physical Therapist here. How severe was the stroke? How functional is she currently, and is she being seen by an Occupational Therapist and/or a PT? The brain is much more plastic than we used to think, and other parts of the brain may be able to pick up the slack. A couple of very good books about stroke recovery are Norman Doidge's "The Brain that Changes Itself" and "The Brain's Way of Healing".
https://www.amazon.com/Brain-That-Ch...dp/067003830X/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014312837X

My mother had a stroke several years ago, and I applied some of the ideas in those 2 books to help her recover. My previous career was in engineering & software, so I also did a few things with an XBox to help her regain mobility. I don't know the extent of your spouse's stroke, but if you PM me I'll be happy to share. Take care.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 4,487 times
I know I haven't replied in awhile. Things have been very tough. It's been especially tough on our children. She can communicate to a limited degree, but still can't do much at all as far as taking care of herself.

Our children do help when they can, mostly with small stuff. I do most of it such as making sure she gets cleaned up, dressed etc.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:46 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,422,305 times
I'm sorry to hear it has been so hard.

Does she have aphasia? Can she understand, at least? What kind of stroke did she have?

Are you having any help come into the home?

Old 12-14-2016, 05:12 PM

427 posts, read 441,844 times
You need assistance. Is there any family you can reach out to? Does your wife qualify for SSI or home health care? Her physican's staff may be able to direct you to resources. This job is bigger than you. Your children need attention, your wife needs care and you need to breathe again. Life isn't fair sometimes. Happy thoughts to all of you.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:42 PM

381 posts, read 1,311,075 times
I can imagine how disheartened and exhausted you must be. My husband had a severe traumatic brain injury two years ago and when he came home from rehab I too was the fulltime caregiver.

I will give some suggestions.

1) As has been said, if your wife worked and paid SS taxes, she is eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance. That said, many people are denied on their first application and have to wait a year (I think) to apply again. There are disability lawyers and agencies that can help you apply and increase her odds of getting it. The one we used was the Advocator Group. They made it easy and we got on.

2) The changes that take place over time are astounding. I would never have believed that the husband who came home from rehab in Nov 2014 is the guy I live with now. Astonishing improvement. Don't think it will always be this bad. Try to have hope. My husband is 63. Hopefully your still young wife has even more recovery in her.

3) You MUST attend to your own basic psychological and emotional needs too and your need for rest. This kind of burden can break you and, as a friend of my husband's (also a caregiver) told me, "If you go down, he has no future." At the minimum stay in touch with at least one or two people who care about YOU.

To be cont.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:28 PM

381 posts, read 1,311,075 times
4) She needs rehab, a lot of it! Speech therapy (for thinking as well as language issues), occupational therapy (for every kind of self care and practical and job-related activities), and physical therapy. Maybe residential rehab that offers these therapies, ideally one that specializes in strokes. Maybe in-home therapy. Just to give my husband as an example: he spent one month in the neuro ICU of a general hospital, then one month in acute residential rehab in a brain injury rehab section of a different general hospital, then one month in subacute residential rehab (just a nursing home with the three kinds of therapies I mentioned), then home with one month of in-home therapy (same three kinds), then there was a hiatus until I could get him into outpatient rehab 3, then 2, days a week at a nationally known rehab hospital that treated many brain injury patients. (We dropped occupational therapy at some point.) He did outpatient therapy for 6-7 months. Then he started working again on a very limited, unpaid basis and quit therapy. (The work WAS therapy.) It was very hard for him but little by little he regained about 95% of his former abilities. He still works only as a volunteer (professor) but that is partly because of disability rules. He is capable of real work now, but not quite at the same level and definitely in lesser quantity than before. So this is what your wife needs. You need to figure out how she can get it.

5) Do you have insurance that covers her? If so, it should cover these things. If not, is she covered by Medicaid or Obamacare? FWIW,once she gets on SSDI (aka "disability") she is automatically enrolled in Medicare two years later (but it doesnt cover everything). Is there any place, like your town, that has a social worker who can help you figure these things out?

6) You need help from stroke experts as well as peer support from people who caregive stroke patients. There is a medical specialty called "physiatry" -- ie rehab doctors. If you could find one who specializes in stroke, that could be a good doctor to oversee your wife's recovery. For me, a private Facebook group for spouses of TBI patients was a real lifesaver. I got a ton of TBI expertise from people there, which strengthened me. I found this website to be a treasure trove: Traumatic Brain Injury - TBI & Head Injury Resource | BrainLine.org . This one might be a starting place for you. I am sure there are others. National Stroke Association | Stroke.org

7) Some sort of respite for you is essential. I found a health aide at my husband's nursing home who was willing to give me 7 hrs/week for 2-3 months (I paid $15/hr in northern NJ). I found that most health aides work second jobs so it may not be hard to find one through another health facility. 7 hours doesnt sound like a lot but it meant grocery shopping, walking the dogs, even seeing a friend... it meant sanity. So so important during the time when my husband was a danger to himself, falling twice a week, amnesiac, irrational, and unsafe if left unattended. Gradually he got better and I no longer needed the aide.

8) Counseling/neuropsychology-- you all may need it -- wife, kids, you. Could be togethet or apart depending on your needs. A catastrophe like this impacts everyone so profoundly and changes relationships. Neuropsychologists specialize in people with brain problems; some also work with the families. They also do formal "NPEs" (neuro-psychological evaluations, a multi-hour battery of cognitive tests) that help pinpoint the areas of damage and where therapy should be focused -- also helpful for proving injury to get or keep SSDI. But you might get the help you need from someone with other credentials.

These are the main things I can think of now. Sorry if I sound bossy - it is from trying to say a lot as fast as I can. I know this is a living hell for you and your family. Please take care of yourself and feel free to send me a DM if you have any private questions or comments. All the best to you and your family - Godspeed.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:23 PM

359 posts, read 362,519 times
i agree with the above poster #3 sticks out to me you must make sure to take time and care for YOU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving