Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 7,048 times

Advertisements

Looking for some "insider" info on assisted living facilities in Wilmington that accepts medicaid. My sil landed a new job in Wilmington and has already moved there with his family. His father has health issues and really at this point needs some assistance periodically through out the day i.e. getting in and out of the shower..meals etc. He is wheel chair bound and has issues with diabetes.

He currently resides in AZ and has a care worker coming to the home for a few hours. We are hoping we can line up a facility prior to moving him to Wilmington..

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 10:57 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
My best results have come from going to a nurse locally and saying something like "if you had to do ______, then who would you choose?"

My sister is a nurse and tapped into her nurse friend network when it was time to put Mom in Assisted Living and it worked out well for the longest time.

Nurses have a party line thing going on.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:08 AM

2,273 posts, read 1,667,073 times
I would agree to carefully check with local health care workers and nurses are on the front line.

Be aware that NC is very stingy with Medicaid benefits (never extended ACA, for example) and if the program turns into block grants, as suggested by the new administration, things could get very bleak.

I have several friends who are holding off for their parents for that reason and also because of waiting lists. Best of luck and I mean that sincerely - it is a difficult situation for the entire family.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:02 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,253,478 times
You might find this website helpful for figuring out what this man is eligible for in NC: https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/...ed-living.html (Scroll down for the state-by-state description, with other links to read.)

Old 02-04-2017, 06:14 PM

7 posts, read 7,048 times
Many thanks for the advice..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving