Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 03:06 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times

Advertisements

I keep thinking of that horror movie in which the evil husband throws the plugged-in space heater into the bathtub where the wife is having a soak...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 12:29 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Howdy, Folks!

OP here! I'm again considering a walk-in tub, but in looking over this thread I'm becoming out of the notion. A few other questions:

What are they like to clean? Do they require special cleaners, etc?

About how much do they cost?

Thanks for answers!

Old 11-02-2022, 01:11 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Howdy, Folks!

OP here! I'm again considering a walk-in tub, but in looking over this thread I'm becoming out of the notion. A few other questions:

Thanks for answers!
If you are so immobile that stepping in or out of a normal tub is a problem, cleaning such a large (albeit vertically oriented instead of horizontally oriented) tub would probably be a major consideration. If you are still considering such a tub after all these years, maybe it's time to call local installers to get actual quotes. No sense asking people about services or products you can't even get in your area.

Old 11-02-2022, 02:41 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
There's a thread over on the House forum here on C-D about these tubs. The title of that thread is misleading considering that much of the discussion is about walk-in tubs. I've already expressed my opinion on that thread.

Here's the name of the thread. For some reason, my link to it didn't work right so you can search on this title instead.

Would you pay 17,000 dollars for this kind of shower? (Lowes, drains, bathtubs)

Hope that helps.

Old 11-15-2022, 04:46 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We converted our tiled shower into a steam shower. You can have just the steam on, the shower or both. Ours has a teak shower bench. You will not get cold sitting there, not with the steam on. Very easy to use and comforting on aching joints. The steam also helps relieve sinus congestion.
Fluffy, you always have the best idea.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Howdy, Folks!

Thanks for answers!
We put in a walk-in tub ten years ago as my mother had mobility issues and loved to soak in a bath. We did not have ones with jets as I was told of mold issues with water in the jet pipes if they are not cleaned weekly with bleach, etc. Turned out this was a smart idea as as it was rarely used as a tub. Took forever to fill and drain. Lot of water in that foot well. Used an acrylic cleaner in a spray can to clean the tub surfaces.

We had a shower installed at the time, and tiled around the tub, and that's how we used it. It worked great for helping my Mom shower off. Ours was a taller tub that would cover my shoulders when full. So, I could stand outside the bath wall, and stay dry while helping her shower inside. It had a nice grab bar inside that she could steady herself with.

We also installed an on-demand, gas hot water heater. Sent by the Goddess. Tub or no tub, it provided an endless supply of hot water. That was the best part of this whole deal.

The worst part was when my husband couldn't put any weight on one leg and was in a wheelchair for several months. For some reason, even using the tub wall, door, and grab bar, he was unable to hop into the tub. It was too awkward and looked dangerous. He ended up using a regular tub with one of those sliding seats on it.

Ten years ago, we paid about $12K for the tub, installation, and tiling. Have no idea what it would be now.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:10 AM

Anyway, fast forward to last spring when we put our house on the market.

The designer we worked with to get it ready to list kept referring to it as a "wonky" tub, and how best to distract from it.

Turns out we sold it to a woman whose mother lived with her and, apparently, saw the tub as a plus.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:14 AM

Though it worked out for us, I would never install another walk-in tub again. Just not worth it, in my book.

I've found that with grab bars in the right places, I can pul myself in and out of a regular soaking tub. When I am no longer able to do that, it's a shower for me.

Maybe a Japanese soaking tub on the back patio someday.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:24 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Howdy, Folks!

Thanks for answers!
My father is in his 80’s and had a hip replaced about 10 years ago, so he and his wife decided to get a walk-in tub. It was quite possible the worst decision they every made. Not only was it very expensive ($15k+) but the company that installed it did a poor job—for some reason, they had to cut a hole in the wall of the closet of the bedroom adjoining the bathroom. The hole was covered with something that looked like a drawer (?). Well, the drawer part eventually fell out, which left a big square hole in the wall that the cats would get into to hide under the bathtub Furthermore, when they had new installation installed, it just blew out of the hole and filled up the closet (in fact, it’s still there!).

As my father now realizes, he could have spent the money that he spent on just the tub to have the entire bathroom renovated with a stall shower instead of a tub (he ended up doing this downstairs anyway).

My advice is to spend your money wisely on a contractor who will expertlyremodel the bathroom so that you can use it.

Old 11-17-2022, 11:02 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
On those TV commercials, it never shows them getting out of the tub! Guess you just hop over and out, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a door to get in the tub, doesn't it?
One would be chilled, pruned and wrinkled waiting for the water to drain
That's a good point, I never thought of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving