Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:21 PM

908 posts, read 960,964 times

Advertisements

ok this may be slightly misleading as i'm not directly providing caregiving but my sister and i are now responsible for my parents financially and we had to move them into an ALF a couple of months ago (really nice one) and we are in charge of their house that we rent out to pay for part of the ALF.

but it's the first time in our lives we have needed to take care of our parents in any way. they have always been extremely independent (early and mid 80s) until recently they both got diagnosed with early dementia and were having a difficult time doing daily things.

SO, our family has always been dysfunctional. my sister stopped speaking with them for 10+ years until they somehow reconciled about 10 years ago. she is close to my mom. i have never been close to either of them. i moved out at 17 and see them once or twice a year. i am just uncomfortable around both of them. my dad has mental health, anger and alcohol issues. he was abusive and made our lives hell.

i care for them the best i can -- managing their money so that we can provide them with this very nice ALF ($8K/month!). but a few weeks back my dad was in the hospital quite sick. i did not feel really sad or worried that he'd die. if anything i think i'd feel relief b/c right now he's making my mom's life a living hell constantly yelling at her in their small quarters. he's making her dementia and confusion worse. i really do not think i'd be sad if he died or i would miss him b/c i just dread the few times a year i need to talk to them.

i don't know the purpose of my post. anyone ever feel like this but then actually did feel sad once their parents passed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 04:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
I have a mentally ill Mom that I "inherited" from my dad when he passed away unexpectedly late last year. I had no idea, until I took over her care, just what all he was doing for her and how much he was minimizing her issues and trying to pretend like things were not as difficult as they really were.

She is increasingly difficult to help and handle, and there is no relief in sight. My brother told me, "I know why you feel so guilty - because you want some relief and the only relief you will get is when she dies."

So yes, I can sort of relate to what you're saying. By the way, when my enabling but very affectionate and kind hearted dad died, I was surprised at just how devastated I actually was.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 PM

687 posts, read 637,110 times
I think your feelings are totally understandable. Your dad is not making your life better, he's making it harder. But you're doing the right thing, of course.

I did not grow up in a happy family but felt affection for my dad and was/am sad that he died. I will be sad about my mom too, but she has dementia pretty bad now which means I have to be involved with a very difficult sibling. Dealing with that sib is torture to me and I will not miss it.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:43 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,157,209 times
OP, do the best you can for your parents, but also for yourself. Make decisions so there will be no regrets when it is all over. Don't take the verbal bait if your dad baits you. Be the grown up in the room. Sit quietly and hold your mom's hand sometimes. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:54 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,157,209 times
Sorry, just reread your post, I don't think you are physically with your parents much. But do the best you can from a distance. Maybe let someone at the ALF know circumstances so they can comfort mom on your behalf. Your feelings seems very normal to me.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:27 AM

922 posts, read 791,221 times
After moving my mom into an ALF, I found it necessary to finally cut off all contact with her in order to save my sanity and my soul. I always made sure she was very well taken care of, but hadn't seen her for a year and a half before she died. I was somewhat sad when she passed, but for the most part it was a relief to have the torture and abuse over at last. Unfortunately, the guilt trip she laid on me my entire life had still refused to die.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:40 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
After moving my mom into an ALF, I found it necessary to finally cut off all contact with her in order to save my sanity and my soul. I always made sure she was very well taken care of, but hadn't seen her for a year and a half before she died. I was somewhat sad when she passed, but for the most part it was a relief to have the torture and abuse over at last. Unfortunately, the guilt trip she laid on me my entire life had still refused to die.
You did the smart thing. Not the easy thing, but the smart thing.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:10 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
You did the smart thing. Not the easy thing, but the smart thing.
Not the easy thing, not even the socially-acceptable thing but absolutely the right thing.

I wish more people would disabuse themselves of the motherhood myth. Maybe they'd wake up and realize some of us had a very hard time growing up. The trauma from being raised by sick, damaged or disordered people often lingers far into adulthood.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:14 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,047,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Not the easy thing, not even the socially-acceptable thing but absolutely the right thing.

I wish more people would disabuse themselves of the motherhood myth. Maybe they'd wake up and realize some of us had a very hard time growing up. The trauma from being raised by sick, damaged or disordered people often lingers far into adulthood.
I completely agree. My mother ended up in a nursing home several states away from any of her three children. We were estranged from my alcoholic father so none of us know how the end of his life played out and none of us went to his funeral.

I don't understand this whole "do the right thing" business. To me, the "right thing" is to concentrate on myself and my immediate family----trying to live a good life in spite of having a rough childhood.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

True. I do want to do the right thing in regard to making sure my mom is in a safe place that's as healthy an environment as possible, but I have to limit my emotional involvement with her. She sucks the very life out of me and always has.

Right now - by right now I mean just the past couple of days - she's being med compliant and not raising cane (wow, Mom, see the connection?). But I've been down this road so many times that I know I can't let down my guard with her - in just a few days she's going to be doing something else awful or mean or dysfunctional. Sorry but I'm so over her drama. She has worn me down over the 55 years I've been on this earth.

I will never abuse her or neglect her legitimate needs, but I'm not going to cater to her off the chain behaviors or tolerate her abuse. Or entertain her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving