Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
i suppose since at least where i live sober living homes don't seem to verify if one has proof of an addiction, that someone who for example has major depression and isn't able to afford decent housing could simply apply at a sober living with the 12 step talk, they admit they are "powerless" over their addiction and really need the support of a sober living to stay on track. Then just blend in, talk about aa here and there or what would they do without the support of that home etc and ta-da, super low monthly rent to have a nice two story home in a quiet well to do neighborhood, utilities included, even some perks like another resident sharing groceries or ordering pizza for everyone. as i write this, lol, i am beginning to realize how i'm powerless over my "addiction"...
lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 09:02 AM

631 posts, read 884,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Not my monkey. But I tried to help him and got it into my head there is a solution. He isn't on drugs or an alcoholic. It just makes no sense to me that there is no solution.

That in this society, there is no assistance unless he does something he's incapable of: recognizing his mental illness and following some sort of program.

Remember The Soloist? I know he was different because he had played the cello at Juliard, but still. I think in other states there is a recognition that not all MI people know that they are, but still get help.

I can't change the Texas system and he won't go anywhere. But I am not willing to completely let go of trying things until I have turned over every rock. Apparently lots of people call APS and the police about him. I don't know who they are, but I am not the first to take him in for a while and do the best I could.

I would LOVE to talk to family and ask them do they know they can do guardianship? I don't think they'd have to manage him forever. I think they could take it and get him on SSI and then if they must, set him loose again. But with a direct deposit every month! And Medicaid!
I'm not sure this is correct. The guardian has a responsibility to act in the best interest of the ward, and see to it that they are taken care of. My mom is bipolar, and I spoke with an attorney about this issue. The only way to handle the financial aspect without being fully responsible for the ward's living conditions is to apply to become "guardian of the estate" as opposed to full guardian, and apparently courts prefer not to approve the former setup. I was also told that the guardian has to file an annual report with the court on their ward. And the guardian needs court approval to ever move, and would probably have to line up a successor guardian to be granted permission.

It's a huge responsibility. For the time being, I managed to get my mom on food stamps by just being her "case manager". I'm trying to do the same with with Medicaid and SSDI, but she is stubbornly refusing to sign the medical release.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:09 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,831 times
Quote:
And programs too. An addict can get into 90 day, even 180 day. Not so for the MI. It's really tragic and very wrong.
My boyfriend and I had a couple debates at the time about why it was, he denied that addicts have it easier than those with mental illness- hard to believe he wasn't able to see it because it's so glaringly clear the disparity . I noticed at his last home the owner would sometimes accept a new resident in before they had space available and then have him pay the move in fee, and he would give him the living room couch to sleep on, another guy that had an addiction and a serious mental illness wasn't able to stay more than a few days but my boyfriend said the owner kept the rent he had paid for the whole month.

It really kind of amazed me after I was around enough and learned how sober livings really don't do much of an intake or background check, and didn't even check on references except one did for one reference. When he moved to the last home the owner asked where he had last stayed but he never bothered to call that owner to verify or find out about his time there. At the second home there was a resident there who during casual chit chat mentioned how he had "been in" ( prison) for six years for some type of assault. Part of what I wondered was how a couple neighbors would feel if they knew that, especially one that had a teenage daughter who frequently walked through the neighborhood to school, and another one with a couple little kids. I don't like the idea of felons not being able to try and acclimate to society if they are really serious, but the idea of families working hard to have a safe nice home for their children to live and not being made aware the house across the street accepts and sometimes may have men there who got out of prison last month for a violent offense? Apparently it's not a legal requirement to notify neighbors of that, and for those neighbors who were aware that house was a sober home I guess if they wanted they could discreetly ask the owner if they do a background check on residents. However since the house was just another nice looking home on the street it's possible not all the people who lived in the neighborhood were aware it was a sober men's home.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
I'm not sure this is correct. The guardian has a responsibility to act in the best interest of the ward, and see to it that they are taken care of. My mom is bipolar, and I spoke with an attorney about this issue. The only way to handle the financial aspect without being fully responsible for the ward's living conditions is to apply to become "guardian of the estate" as opposed to full guardian, and apparently courts prefer not to approve the former setup. I was also told that the guardian has to file an annual report with the court on their ward. And the guardian needs court approval to ever move, and would probably have to line up a successor guardian to be granted permission.

It's a huge responsibility. For the time being, I managed to get my mom on food stamps by just being her "case manager". I'm trying to do the same with with Medicaid and SSDI, but she is stubbornly refusing to sign the medical release.
That's good information that I am going to think on and learn more about. I am sorry your mother is being difficult about the SSDI and Medicaid. I would imagine that is a huge frustration. I am down for something with the food stamps that you mentioned. Case worker or some other term they used. But those are out. Can't have more for three years in Texas unless he works or.........shows that he is disabled. Sigh.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:13 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Texas is not known for having a lot of help ..... for anyone.

In most cases, you cannot force someone to be medicated against their will. Unfortunately, in severe mental illness like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, part of the disease is that the person who is ill does not understand that they are sick. If you do not think you are sick, of course you don't want to take a strong medication that might make you tired/confused/blunted/apathetic etc.... as many of these psychiatric medications have side effects. If paranoia is part of their disease, this can make accepting treatment even more challenging. Can you imagine the terror if you believe that the ?government is trying to control your mind and is spying on you, and then you get brought against your will to jail/hospital by police and are told you must take medications against your will? It sounds like a terrifying Kafka novel. No wonder some people with mental illness run away, refuse help/treatment.

We also do not have enough affordable psychiatric care... both inpatient and outpatient.... for people with mental illness.

The best thing you can do is be there as a friend, someone they can trust. Be non-judgmental. Offer help when it is clear they need it. Sometimes medications will be accepted when you don't tell them it is "to treat your schizophrenia", but explain it may help them sleep/help the headaches/quiet down the voices/keep a job etc.... You must change the way you communicate, and the way you listen.

Mental illness is perhaps the most devastating of human conditions. So much suffering....
This is not a Texas thing.

Your second paragraph indicates you know this.

NO state allows random involuntary commitments.

And it began with JFK and deinstitutionalization where they thought mentally ill people would just LOVE taking all the new medications.

So they thought they'd all LOVE staying in "community group homes" and said they'd be putting the burden/money on the community but REFUSING to fund "institutions".

Neither happened.

The mentally ill were given legal freedom to refuse any help and live under a bridge and they didn't send the "money" or resources.

My FL county has walk in psych care. They advertise on the RADIO because they're not even getting enough walk-ins LOL.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Would it be the same for an elderly person with dementia? Seems like not.
Does anyone know? Seems similar to me. People with dementia don't know they have it and therefore are incapacitated from making their own decisions.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
This is not a Texas thing.

Your second paragraph indicates you know this.

NO state allows random involuntary commitments.

And it began with JFK and deinstitutionalization where they thought mentally ill people would just LOVE taking all the new medications.

So they thought they'd all LOVE staying in "community group homes" and said they'd be putting the burden/money on the community but REFUSING to fund "institutions".

Neither happened.

The mentally ill were given legal freedom to refuse any help and live under a bridge and they didn't send the "money" or resources.

My FL county has walk in psych care. They advertise on the RADIO because they're not even getting enough walk-ins LOL.
To the bolded, yes I know. But other states do have services for people that are MI that don't require them to acknowledge that they are in order to have help.

APS said to me if he chooses this lifestyle,,,,,,,,, I said NO, he doesn't. He's desperate to be inside. He begged and begged so many times after I'd had enough to 'give him another chance' to come back here.

He's not one of those that would refuse housing. At all. He would be over the MOON just to have housing and food. Doesn't even need internet - he could go use free wi-fi spots like he does now. Wouldn't even need a TV! Just shelter and food.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Yeah. It always makes me laugh when people are astounded by this. He has a laptop. Lots of homeless people do. It's his prized possession. His only possession, really.
I'm not astounded. I'm just making sure I read that correctly.

Is seeking guardianship of him one of the options you're considering? It is a huge ordeal with many legal ramifications and responsibilities and legal expenses.

What about the Salvation Army or other shelters? Shelters will have a long list of community services he may qualify for.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Quote:
There doesn't seem to be any for some people! Lacking family to gain guardianship, there seems to be nothing. I am referring to a schizophrenic man who doesn't agree that he is mentally ill. So, he won't file for disability for it. He could get a small income, housing, and food stamps. But he can't. And no one can do it for him. Family is unwilling, apparently.

The police keep telling me it's not illegal to be mentally ill and homeless. APS said there is nothing we can do if he chooses this lifestyle. I said he does NOT choose it. He HATES it out there. He wants to be inside!

The only way he knows how to get inside is via lawsuits. He isn't trying to scam the city or police department. He truly believes that they owe him a trillion dollars for offenses against him. He actually takes them to court. Cities and police departments!

The APS man seemed fascinated, but suspicious they can help. And the phone lines were backed up. Supposedly they are going to find where he camps out and offer him services, but IDK what kind. He's not going to MHMR.

I want them to declare him incompetent and file for SSI and housing for him. He needs some sort of halfway house where there is some type of oversight. I'm not sure he could live in an apartment by himself. He only knows how to cook on 'high' and he will walk away from it.

When I do my lottery dreaming I imagine giving him this place for -0- rent, but literally removing the stove for this reason. The counter oven only goes to 450 and only for a certain time. Far less likely to catch fire.

If I had a house with a basement apartment or something I'd let him stay in it. All he wants is food, cigarettes, his laptop. Adding in drawing materials will keep him busy for days w/o ever venturing from his room.

He can do tasks to earn his keep, and is willing to go scrape up cigarettes via begging, but he needs supervision during tasks and you have to put up with him acting like a lazy teenager. He isn't really lazy, his brain is just always telling him he has to go do his important government work on the computer.

He works for Homeland Security on there, so it's difficult to keep him on a task. But it can be done. And over time, he got better about that. I taught him there is no computer when he is working, period. Turn it off. Close it. Put it in it's case.

No idea how to find someone with a basement or a trailer or something, but it could work. He's tall and strong, so he is capable of a lot of things that many people cannot do. He is not dangerous. He is well known to police and all they do is ask him if he is ok when they see him.

Can't be out of this city, and I think he's right about that. Being unknown to police, he could get shot. He goes up to them demanding the money they owe him.
Yeah, APS is a bit busy in TX lately, I imagine.

They said they'd try and help so what's the problem again?

First of all ANYBODY can petition for an involuntary hold for an evaluation if the person is deemed to be a danger to themselves or others. It can be a total stranger and they only have to call the cops or go to court themselves if they're so worried.

This is NOT your first rodeo with this.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/careg...-home-ama.html

HOW do you keep getting mixed up with these people? LOL but OK.

If he wanted to be INSIDE, he'd be INSIDE and he'd file for assistance. But he doesn't because he's schizophrenic.

IMO you keep trying to make other people do what they don't want to do then blame the state. But then you fight the people who have SOME ability to do something.

WAIT.

He works for Homeland Security on the computer????

OMG LOL.

Is that a joke or part of his delusions? You sound like your SERIOUSLY saying he works for them. You know, like with a paycheck?

Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yeah, APS is a bit busy in TX lately, I imagine.

They said they'd try and help so what's the problem again?

First of all ANYBODY can petition for an involuntary hold for an evaluation if the person is deemed to be a danger to themselves or others. It can be a total stranger and they only have to call the cops or go to court themselves if they're so worried.

This is NOT your first rodeo with this.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/careg...-home-ama.html

HOW do you keep getting mixed up with these people? LOL but OK.

If he wanted to be INSIDE, he'd be INSIDE and he'd file for assistance. But he doesn't because he's schizophrenic.

IMO you keep trying to make other people do what they don't want to do then blame the state. But then you fight the people who have SOME ability to do something.

WAIT.

He works for Homeland Security on the computer????

OMG LOL.

Is that a joke or part of his delusions? You sound like your SERIOUSLY saying he works for them. You know, like with a paycheck?
Mixed up with these people? Are you seriously asking how did I get 'mixed up' with my brother? And yeah, I know he doesn't really work for Homeland Security. I was saying I don't remember his answer to the question 'then why don't they pay you?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving