Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 12:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times

Advertisements

Some of you have heard this from me before but I am going to try to remember to post this once a year or so till I croak! I was stupid and I don't want you to make the same mistake I did!

If the person you care caring for has VA Benefits check and find out for sure what is included. Some VA Benefits include paying for home care up to about $2500 per month. It's not easy to get and there is paperwork but it's real money.

When I was caring for my father, both my parents told me repeatedly my dad's VA benefits were worth nothing. And I believed them. I should have checked for myself. I took care of my dad for over 10 years and VA should have been paying. That's 300K I did not get because I was too lazy to check.

And you can't claim retroactively either!

Verify, verify, verify!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 08:32 AM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Excellent advice, yellowsnow.

When my dad, a WWII Marine vet, had cancer and needed lots of expensive treatments and frequent doctor visits, someone suggested that he see what's available through the VA. Dad didn't have much money at all; pretty much just had a roof over his head and a car. The VA was a lifesaver (no pun intended). The local VA clinic provided him with medications, transportation to doctor appointments and treatments, even driving him to a VA hospital Chicago (about a 1-hr drive each way) many times. Unfortunately, we did not find out about the available in-home health care until after Dad had died. It would have been so helpful to have had that info in time for Dad. We were in the dark and didn't know to even ask about home health care for him.

Do what yellowsnow says and ask lots of questions. Follow up if you don't get answers. It's worth the legwork. The VA offers a lot of services and veterans have earned them.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:35 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,668,480 times
This is excellent advice!

Do these benefits extend to spouses of vets? I think there is money available for spouses in assisted living/skilled nursing facilities if you have less than $88k or so in assets. It certainly does not pay the whole bill but helps.

My elder family member does not have that need yet so I have not investigated, but I am curious if anyone has had experience with that spouse situation.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:36 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post

Do these benefits extend to spouses of vets? I think there is money available for spouses in assisted living/skilled nursing facilities if you have less than $88k or so in assets. It certainly does not pay the whole bill but helps.

My elder family member does not have that need yet so I have not investigated, but I am curious if anyone has had experience with that spouse situation.
I would like to know that also. My dad is a veteran of the Korean War, but it's my mom who needs a lot of assistance.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post

Some spouses DO get benefits.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Excellent advice, yellowsnow.

When my dad, a WWII Marine vet, had cancer and needed lots of expensive treatments and frequent doctor visits, someone suggested that he see what's available through the VA. Dad didn't have much money at all; pretty much just had a roof over his head and a car. The VA was a lifesaver (no pun intended). The local VA clinic provided him with medications, transportation to doctor appointments and treatments, even driving him to a VA hospital Chicago (about a 1-hr drive each way) many times. Unfortunately, we did not find out about the available in-home health care until after Dad had died. It would have been so helpful to have had that info in time for Dad. We were in the dark and didn't know to even ask about home health care for him.

Do what yellowsnow says and ask lots of questions. Follow up if you don't get answers. It's worth the legwork. The VA offers a lot of services and veterans have earned them.
See? Now here are 2 who didn't get what they should have gotten!

Old 10-31-2017, 02:40 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Some VA Benefits include paying for home care up to about $2500 per month.
This is absolutely true. My father-in-law has $2500 monthly in benefits as he is retired ATF.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:15 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,132 times
https://www.va.gov/geriatrics/guide/...ealth_care.asp

Old 11-01-2017, 12:41 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,257 times
My dad is getting close to needing more care or nursing home. Mom can't continue if he gets any weaker. So mom has been checking on any eligibility. He was enlisted served 6 years but never during war time. One of the things that bumped him up to having higher eligibility possibilities is that he was stationed at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, and did boot camp there, in Marine reserves, but spent most time on a base in NC, not all at Camp Lejeune. I may not have all details correct. It was found later to be a highly contaminated place, even radiation contaminates. We had no idea he would qualify for anything until this past summer.

Mom found out through someone she knows has her husband in the soldiers home nursing home type facility near the VA Hospital in Hennepin County, MN. There may be a year waiting list but he may also qualify for home care also. We just brought him in for his in take exam. It all went surprisingly quick, mom just contacted them to start things about a month and a half ago. I was impressed so far by the efficiency so far. Also got his picture ID the same day, well filled out forms and took picture. Nurse /social worker called the next day to speak about possible services.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:41 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Some spouses DO get benefits.
In order for the spouse or dependent children to continue to get benefits of a disabled Vet, the death of the veteran has to be service related.

There should be a Veterans Benefits Advisor in your state.

Benefits information 1-888-838-7697

Disabled Veterans Spouse Benefits | Military.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving