Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 09:55 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,735 times

Advertisements

I thought this was an excellent article from both the patient and caregiver's perspective.
Sad in so many ways.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...are/922063001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 10:30 AM

687 posts, read 638,233 times
Thank you for sharing that article. I agree that it is sad in so many ways. I don't know how she did it.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:14 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,987 times
Oh.My.

Thank you for sharing this article. I live in the Phoenix area, and Karina Bland is an excellent writer; have read many of her stories in the AZ Republic.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:54 PM

226 posts, read 214,943 times
Wow. Reading that article really hit home. My husband has Lewy Body dementia, not Alzheimer's, but there are so many similarities. It is hard to be someone's sole caretaker 24/7 and have to do everything for them as you would for a one year old but never feel an ounce of appreciation. I always try to keep things in perspective and tell myself that his behavior is just the disease, nothing personal, but I do sometimes wonder. Since he never has lucid days anymore I guess I will never know.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:53 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,034,216 times
She's wrong when she says she stayed until she couldn't leave. She could always leave. He was abusive to her for years, and she left several times. His illness is a poor excuse for her to stay in later years. I feel pity for her, but she chose her life. Her husband was indeed the mean one and he needed more help than she should be expected to give.

Sense of obligation followed by guilt is a horrible cross to bear. She felt obligated to love him and then care for him, and when she would think about leaving, her guilt would consume her. She made herself the victim.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
I agree with the above....he was an ***** even when he wasn't sick ...and right to his dying day.....lucky for him he had her.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:08 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,584,523 times
Very sad that she didn't have enough self-confidence to leave that narcissistic SOB. He obviously chose her to begin with because he knew he could dominate her.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:25 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Very sad that she didn't have enough self-confidence to leave that narcissistic SOB. He obviously chose her to begin with because he knew he could dominate her.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:51 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Got to agree. My sister, who just passed away unexpectedly last week, put up with the same kind of abusive behavior, and worse, from her late husband for over 35 years. I mean, the guy was plain nasty, both verbally and physically, but she took care of him until she had to put him into assisted living. She simply couldn't physically care for him at that point with his dementia and all of her own health problems. Even then she would go see him every day and do things for him, like make sure his food was pureed and take him his favorite puddings and such. My dear late Mom and I never understood why on earth she stayed with him all those years, because my sister was not uneducated and worked all that time as well.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:43 AM

723 posts, read 571,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
She's wrong when she says she stayed until she couldn't leave. She could always leave. He was abusive to her for years, and she left several times. His illness is a poor excuse for her to stay in later years. I feel pity for her, but she chose her life. Her husband was indeed the mean one and he needed more help than she should be expected to give.

Sense of obligation followed by guilt is a horrible cross to bear. She felt obligated to love him and then care for him, and when she would think about leaving, her guilt would consume her. She made herself the victim.
Yup. Yup. Yup.

"Harvey says he tells her she is fat so she’ll do something about it. Darlene has diabetes and if she doesn’t take care of herself, she won’t be able to care for him. He needs her."

Nothing but a self-centered, narcissistic prick, this one.

Personally, I would have got myself and my kids gone and stayed gone years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving