Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 07:59 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Bless your heart, is all I can say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The Caregiving forum is for issues related to caregiving. It is also a safe space for caregivers to vent, hopefully free from judgment.

At least that's the way I understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 09:34 PM

No one has any idea why I got this kind of reply to a simple "bless your heart"?

Old 03-31-2018, 05:44 AM

1,831 posts, read 1,432,520 times
Perhaps someone misunderstood a simple statement, because of that someone's own background?

"Bless your heart" is not necessarily a nice thing to say in parts of the Deep South. Instead, it's a gentle but sarcastic way of saying something far stronger than those words appear to mean.

"Well, he's always been several sandwiches short of a picnic, bless his heart."

"Darlin', that's some amazing demimonde attire, bless your heart."

And so on.

It sometimes takes a bit for us southerners to break out of our local culture and realize that in the rest of the country, "Bless your heart" means just that.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Even in the south, "Bless your heart" is not always sarcastic. Sometimes it's genuine. Sometimes it's truly an empathetic statement. It all depends on context and delivery, and in person most people can easily tell the difference. But it's a saying that doesn't translate well online in some cases because when it's not said in person it's hard to tell how it's meant.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:25 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
The first quote has the appearance of being sarcastic because it was in response to someone who was venting about the burden of having two elderly parents in his home. There are some people who are strongly on one side or the other on the issue of caring for parents, while others feel it is best left as an individual or family decision. Some people have gone through it and feel others should carry the same burden, while some don't want others to go through the same experience.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Even in the south, "Bless your heart" is not always sarcastic. Sometimes it's genuine. Sometimes it's truly an empathetic statement. It all depends on context and delivery, and in person most people can easily tell the difference. But it's a saying that doesn't translate well online in some cases because when it's not said in person it's hard to tell how it's meant.
This. ^^^ In my part of the South, it is empathetic. I would have thought anyone could have understood that, what with the sad face added and all. I was saying, "I don't have any advice for you, but I really feel for your situation."

So anyway, I get it now. Hopefully everyone gets my remark now also.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:16 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
No one has any idea why I got this kind of reply to a simple "bless your heart"?
You got that reply to a simple Bless Your Heart (frowny face) because you and others were dumping on a caregiver who was simply venting and expressing his opinion.

You could have DM'd me and I would have told you the same thing. This thread isn't relevant to caregiving, only to your own feelings.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
You got that reply to a simple Bless Your Heart (frowny face) because you and others were dumping on a caregiver who was simply venting and expressing his opinion.

You could have DM'd me and I would have told you the same thing. This thread isn't relevant to caregiving, only to your own feelings.
First of all, it wasn't a "frowny face" (that one is red), it was a "sad face" (blue).

Second of all, I think you got me mixed up with someone else. I wasn't dumping on anyone in that thread...I'm one of the first to sympathize with someone who is venting because I know how it feels to deal day in and day out with a cranky elderly person. (yep, sure enough, I just looked back through the whole thread and that was my only comment)

Third of all, the other thread got closed before I could reply, and since I was pretty sure I had been "dissed" publicly, I felt it should be answered publicly.

So now we have it all straightened out.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:30 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:

She wasn't responding to the OP in that thread. Another poster was venting and not one person dumped on that poster in any way whatsoever. I think you mis-remember it.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:33 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
First of all, it wasn't a "frowny face" (that one is red), it was a "sad face" (blue).

Second of all, I think you got me mixed up with someone else. I wasn't dumping on anyone in that thread...I'm one of the first to sympathize with someone who is venting because I know how it feels to deal day in and day out with a cranky elderly person. (yep, sure enough, I just looked back through the whole thread and that was my only comment)

Third of all, the other thread got closed before I could reply, and since I was pretty sure I had been "dissed" publicly, I felt it should be answered publicly.

So now we have it all straightened out.
Not totally! Not the faces and their names.

There is no blue frowny, there is a purple frown that if you hover over it, says 'frown face', and the red one says 'mad face'. But I agree the frown face means sad..

I also agree it was clear you meant to empathize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving